External Bbs

RobinJI

I just noticed that alot of the 2006 kona jump bikes at work have Truvative ISIS external bottom brackets, I realy like the idea of these as it gives the advantages of the Shimano/raceface systems but without the lack of trials compatability. My only consern is that on stock bikes the bearing housing may be a bit vunerable, But on Mods the sump guard would protect it anyway. What do you lot think? a good idea or not?

http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/mountain/b...er/howitzer.php

(Although in this picture it doesnt apear to have a ISIS interface, I assure you it does on the production models.)

ADAMANT-A1-07.jpg

Echo's been busy with external bb's. Go to the echobikes site (and the other deng brands) if you missed the news.

I think the most significant advantage is now the bearings are MUCH larger than on current ISIS bb's, so they're not gonna explode on you like they tend to do now. About the external cup issue, we'll just have to wait and see how they hold up to smacks. I know I do hit my bb shell everynow and then, but i guess it's nothing a piece of plexi glass and some heat can't protect (make a cool protector plate that follows the shape of the bb area.... or something). Plus you can't deny they look pimp, and come in every color. The gold one would look quite nice on my white levelboss.

Cool, chears, I must have missed the news about them making external BBs, I still like truvatives idea though because it keeps everything interchangeable rather than being stuck with one make.

P.S. The chain in that picture looks preaty fooked.

Both Shimano and RaceFace are doing external BB's now, with Shimano's Saint crankset having outboard bearings, I think?

Anyway, it's a good idea for mtb's. Larger bearings are pretty much always good. I was sceptical of the idea at first, but Matt Hudson (mathuds0 on here) has a Fly BB on his Kona bike - think it was the first of the "nu skool" outboard BB's - and it seems to have held out pretty well. The bearings have shit their load now, but at least they're replaceable on their own, plus the BB's ridiculously easy to set up.

Bit shit as you can't use FFW with it, but there we go.

Probably a good idea if you can find a BB long enough for most frames now?

If i go along the ISIS route i'm defenately getting one. I can't see how a few knocks will damage the bb/ bb shell, it threads in what an inch if not more?

Pete

True. When it's done up tight, with everything setup properly, the external housing pretty much is effectively an extension of the BB shell, so it's stiff anyway. Also, it's the same as any other BB? It still threads into the shell, but obviously the shell is unsupported in the middle. However, that is true of any BB so there should be no difference.

Equally, ot hit the bearing housing, you'd have to twat your crank arm out the way first, pretty much...

Yeah, soz i was more meaning that it now alows more Front Freewheel compatability because of the ISIS fitting.

Less compatibility, 'cos you'd need a far longer spindle due to the external bearings meaning the freewheel's more likely to hit the BB bearing cup. That's why Echo say their's isn't FFW compatible, despite it being 128mm long...