Isp

MaXsteri

(Y) Simon, you completely lost me there. But as you know you shiz 99% of the time I shall agree.

I agree with Simon.

Take a motorway for example. If the motor is a 3 lane with pot holes everywhere, the cars are going to get damaged, and sometimes not even make there destination. If its a 5lane monster with the latest in tarmac smoothing technology applied, then the vehicles will arrive in tact, and quicker.

Basically.

Actually, theres also ratios to consider. NTL as far as i know uses a 50:1 ratio, which means 50 users can at anyone time use the lines from the green boxes at the end of your road, to the exchange. This means that if you go at say 8pm when everyone is at home and surfing the net, as apposed to say 3am when everyone is asleep, you will notice ping differences even then. Now imagine a 30:1 ratio, at the same times, your ping will always be that 40% less.

Obviously you would only consider all these factors properly if you are some paid gamer or have honours on clanbase or what ever.

But yeah, basically (again :lol:), its not always getting a 4mb over a 3mb line if you're after low ping's.

Ok, i rambled, but you get the point. I hope. (Y)

I love being stubborn with BT.

We were on 56K, but they wanted to phase that out last May. They offered people a chance to try out the "Fast broadband" connection (576k), for the same price as using 56K. This was then supposed to end last May, and we'd either go to 56K with no limit or 155K with 15Gb limit. Then, in May, they went "Erm... right, you can keep the 576 if you want? Same price 'n' 15Gb limit if you want". So we sorta wnet "OK, yeah." Now, they've upgraded us to 2.2Mbps, with 15Gb limit per month, with the option of 1Gb extra for £2 more per gig...

All for £14.99 a month :lol:

I love being stubborn with BT.

We were on 56K, but they wanted to phase that out last May. They offered people a chance to try out the "Fast broadband" connection (576k), for the same price as using 56K. This was then supposed to end last May, and we'd either go to 56K with no limit or 155K with 15Gb limit. Then, in May, they went "Erm... right, you can keep the 576 if you want? Same price 'n' 15Gb limit if you want". So we sorta wnet "OK, yeah." Now, they've upgraded us to 2.2Mbps, with 15Gb limit per month, with the option of 1Gb extra for £2 more per gig...

All for £14.99 a month (Y)

I pay £30 a month, (always have done since the old school days of BB and I paid similar for my 56k (Y) ) it's well getting on my tits, because my mum can't be arsed changing. :lol:

im well confused (Y) if your connection speed was higher why would your ping be lower :D

because of how mny people re on the same connection.

if you had a slow line with just 5 people its could be faster than a fast line with 100 people-ish

i have just signed up with tiscali broadband for the next 12 months and i get a connection speed of 2.2mbps as apposed ot the 1mbthey claim u will get for £14.99 a month. its also unlimited as well.

my average ping is like between 25-40 in counter strike source depending on when i'm using it. i don't often get 25 but sometimes in the very early hours of the morning it can happen. Being new to all the internet gaming malarky i was kind of wondering what a ping was anyway? :lol: ^_^

anybody else reckon we should have a trials-forum, internet clan thing? mite be a bit of a laugh. :lol:

Being new to all the internet gaming malarky i was kind of wondering what a ping was anyway?

Ping = The time it takes (in milliseconds) for you to send a bit of data to another computer and get a reply. So basically if your ping is 25, it takes 1/40th of a second (0.025s) for a message to get to the server and then back. Lower is obviously better :lol: