I Bled My Magura In Water...

BASETA26ER

Yep, water bled Maguras feel nice and so responsive! :lol:

Just be carefull over winter, water freezes you know unless you use anti freeze :lol:

Dave... ^_^

"Is that bad for your maguras though?"

Nope not really, corrodes slightly but thats it

Edited by kick-this

forgot to add, i did put anti-freeze in it.. :lol: so glad i done it..

Just be carefull over winter, water freezes you know unless you use anti freeze :P

Dave... ^_^

most the internals are plastic though apart from the spring.. arn't they?

forgot to add, i did put anti-freeze in it.. ^_^ so glad i done it..

Alaminium Ever so slightly corrodes with water, but just the first leyer.

It makes no differance really, u wont be able to tell :lol:

Yeah everyone i ride with bled there brakes and mine with water it works well better than maggie blood ect, it will not corrode unless you have the same brake for about 3-4 years and it will not dammag the brakes pistons in anyway. ^_^

I'v never realy understood why you should put anit-freeze in aswell because it is moving all the time unless you leave your bike outside and in freezing weather for a few days but that would just be silly :lol:

rickyb

Just be carefull over winter, water freezes you know unless you use anti freeze :P

Dave... ^_^

wouldn't that make it corrode, lol :lol:

yeah, ive had a go on a bike with water bled brakes , there awsome but yes it does start to corrode the seals unless you use distilled water. i have no idea why but it does and also it does cancel the warranty.

DO NOT USE THE DOT FLUID. my mate sent his rear brake off to tarty to get it re-bled and have a braided hose put on, but they phoned him back saying that the complete inside off his brake was ruined because off the fluid. :lol:

Spring metal water bad! think it can damage the seal inside the pistons and stuff

i didnt like water as even though your brakes lock out because of the viscocity of water it keeps on compressing and you lever blade ends up near your grip which is a git.

Use Bently Clutch oil, well nice not spongy and locks like a good'un

Spring metal water bad! think it can damage the seal inside the pistons and stuff

i didnt like water as even though your brakes lock out because of the viscocity of water it keeps on compressing and you lever blade ends up near your grip which is a git.

Use Bently Clutch oil, well nice not spongy and locks like a good'un

yeah everyone should use bently clutch oil (mineral oil) even though you have to pay for it i wont be going back from oil. in my opiion i hate having water in my brake.

On the topic not enough for a post.. but

The bike I've got is one year old and I've had it for about 2 months. Would it be sensible to give the brakes a bleed as I don't know whats in it and the brakes arn't exactly great.

toby :lol:

I have been running water bled maguras since i started trials about 5 years ago now and never had a problem at all. Try and get the "battery top up water" from halfords which is about a quid for a litre of it dont be fooled by the name its actually just distilled water but done properly.

I cant see how any of the brake would corrode as far as i last knew you would need air and water to make some corrosion and i like to think my brakes have been bled without the additive of air in them.

If you cant get to halfords boil some water in a kettle and let it go nearly cold before putting it in. First time users would need to bleed the brake through with water once, ride a little and may well notice the brake go all sticky and crappy, just re-bleed it again and you will notice more horrible black looking oil coming out then it should all be fine.

Never had any problems they work brilliant more responsive, better pad movement and easier to pull which is the main thing.

stu :lol:

Iv had a water bleed for ages now. on my old maggies, i had oil bleed for about 5 months of having them, they were just crap all the time, i bled then properly about 6 times, and still crap, so i flushed the brake out with water and then used the water, it was amazing!!!!

lol

Adam@tartybikes bled his brakes with bloody orange juice haha, it was so sticky and slow lol

EDIT: even when i was riding last night, someone asked "whys your brake fell so fast to pul with no flex or anything at the lever?" i explaing its bled with water, i got on their bike, and the lever was sooooo slow!!! lol

Edited by terror-error

this is all news to me! i never considered bleeding a brake with water - i have box fresh mags on my zoo but an eBay job on the back of my pashley the old brake on the pash is so much more responsive and easy to pull, i always wondered why and thought it might be some kind of different brake fluid.

I'm gona try this today! hope it works