The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

As a definite non-expert from the looks of it you need to mix in some more calorie/fat burning activities with the muscle building weight training. As it stands you may well be building and toning but you won't be able to see it because of the overlying BF. I may be wrong though as I have a very odd metabolism/build relative to the (lack of) effort I have to put in :D.

From many years of experience looking at men's bodies, I'd say there's very little fat on Jed there. I'd suggest going on a maximum bulk, which you can't really do with dumbbells at home I'm afraid.

Get a decent weight training diet sorted and get to a gym, and cue the heavy lifts I'd say. :P At the moment I'm not doing that, I'm just "toning". (Basically climbing a lot and reducing my BF so I've got a better power/weight ratio for this summer's climbing season).

I'm gas flowed and generally built for speed :P

Go on then JD, get some pics of your guns up then? :P

3:30:43

When you get through 26.2 miles in that time, you can have an excuse for the body you have.

From many years of experience looking at men's bodies, I'd say there's very little fat on Jed there.

You've been looking at too many African children, I'm gonna hazard a guess at 18% body fat.

Just been the gym. 1.5km run. Weights. 1.5km row. Vomit.

So why was I sick? I drank some water after rowing, then as I sat down to do my bike I knew I had to head to the toilet. Hands and knees over a public toilet. Nice. I'm assuming I just maybe shouldn't drink during my work out? Maybe I pushed too hard for my feeble cardio ability?

Maybe I pushed too hard for my feeble cardio ability?

It's most probably this, although I'm a sadist when it comes to working out so I don't feel it's successful unless I feel sick at the end (without going so far as actually being sick). When I was doing my whole instructor stuff it was all part of the process of the 'fitness assessment' to make a client throw up by the end of it. Then we know how far they can definitely go...

EDIT: Definitely wouldn't worry about the drinking during either. It can have a slight effect (in that you're asking your body to use blood for your muscles, then asking it to use that same blood in your stomach for digestion) but generally you won't have an issue because of the simplicity of water.

Edited by JDâ„¢

Cheers JD, I was hoping for a speedy response from you :P Guess I'll just have to work on my cardio. Would it be better to do all my cardio before weights? Or vice versa? Not to arsed about size at the moment. Just want to be able to run about 7.5km without stopping, would be more than happy with that.

Cheers JD, I was hoping for a speedy response from you :P Guess I'll just have to work on my cardio. Would it be better to do all my cardio before weights? Or vice versa? Not to arsed about size at the moment. Just want to be able to run about 7.5km without stopping, would be more than happy with that.

Personally I've always gone for cardio before weights, so that my heart rate is up higher right from the off with the weights. You'll hear pros and cons for doing it either way really, but nowadays I don't do them on the same days at all. Now that I'm trying to put a bit of mass on while not losing my ability to run well, that just seems to suit me best. 3 days of weights a week, 2 days of running, and another of plyometrics and/or straight cardio.

Running is just one of those things, aim for small improvements and over time you'll get to the 7.5km without injuring yourself along the way (Y)

UHHH BEEFCAKE WHAT ARE WE YELLING ABOUT

just wanted to re: a post muel put aout climbing, i saw him last night in a t-shirt, usually he's covered in jackets, but the difference in his build is very notice-able since he started climbing.

Lol cheers bro. Guess my winter training diet is working out alright. :P I can't tell much of a difference yet to be honest.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled on 2 slices of toast.

Lunch: Tuna and lettuce butties. (One tin, some lettuce, 4 slices of bread).

Tea: Usually fairly decent. Pasta with lots of mince, or fish and veg.

EDIT: Reminds me, I've invented my own burger recipe, not worked out the stats yet but they're about 25-35% of the RDA of saturated fat and fat in each one, but 40g+ of protein. I'll drop you some round if you want next time I make a batch. They're a bit bland because they're made with lean mince, but it's a treat if you're used to a normal gain diet lol.

Edited by Muel

Lol cheers bro. Guess my winter training diet is working out alright. :P I can't tell much of a difference yet to be honest.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled on 2 slices of toast.

Lunch: Tuna and lettuce butties. (One tin, some lettuce, 4 slices of bread).

Tea: Usually fairly decent. Pasta with lots of mince, or fish and veg.

EDIT: Reminds me, I've invented my own burger recipe, not worked out the stats yet but they're about 25-35% of the RDA of saturated fat and fat in each one, but 40g+ of protein. I'll drop you some round if you want next time I make a batch. They're a bit bland because they're made with lean mince, but it's a treat if you're used to a normal gain diet lol.

hook me up babes

i'll do you some slow cooked goodness soon

x

Yayyyy safe. You got a freezer yeh? These burgers are best frozen as soon as they're made, then cooked from frozen I find. Mushing all the meat up mixes fresh air into them and makes them go off a lot quicker. After 24 hours they're gone IMO.

In case I forget, stick them in the oven, pre-heated to about 190-200C, half an hour or so, bangin. Take them out after 2 mins or so though to remove the grease proof paper disc things.

Edited by Muel

1kg lean mince, 1 large onion, chopped fine or grated, whichever floats your boat, 2 slices of bread made into crumbs, then mush into burger shapes (or use a burger machine).

Make them big, they lose a lot of size in the oven.

Preferably use an oven tray with a grill thingy so they're not sitting in the fat, amazes me how much fat comes out of them.

Going to make a big batch this week but do them a bit thinner, will work out the stats and that at the same time. I warns you though, they're bland. Seriously bland. But with cheese, they tastes alright to me. More grams of protein than fat after your cooked and drained them I reckon, winnarrrrrrr.

Edited by Muel

I don't do spices or seasonings. Never understood them. Tell me what to use and I'll try it lol. I was thinking some soy or some shit maybe like that?

Play with it man, let's improve this shit together, like a communal TF recipe crew yo.

I don't do spices or seasonings. Never understood them. Tell me what to use and I'll try it lol. I was thinking some soy or some shit maybe like that?

Play with it man, let's improve this shit together, like a communal TF recipe crew yo.

I'd just keep it simple to start if you don't get them - simply salt and pepper.

I was personally thinking of adding chilli flakes and chopped parsley to that, but that's just what I happen to add to most stuff! The great thing I imagine about this is you can basically experiment with each individual patty and see which you like best.

EDIT: But yea, it's definitely not the lean mince that's making it bland - I don't think I've even contemplated 'normal' mince for a good 5 years or so... Sooooo much fat.

Edited by JDâ„¢

I see. Experiment I shall. I forgot to mention, I also have a load of eggs in mine for added protein goodness and to stick it all together.

I'm doing mine tomorrow night, I shall have a play I shall...

Edited by Muel