The Gym Thread...

downhill_rob2@hotmail.com

Soup and bread for tea seems an odd choice.

Basically a shit load of carbs and sugar/salt

If it's fat you're trying to shift then definitely swap that out for something like an omelette

that was only last nights, if im honest i did have grander plans, but the machine that does passport photos in tescos was broke, which then meant an hours detour, so by the time i got back, it was way more effort to cook tea than i planned on using.

All I can say is Insanity have never felt stronger fitter than doing this beats the gym and weight training and great if your on a tight budget like me

From 12 years old i used dumbells/weights every day situps press up went to gym , cycled every where played football 20hrs+ a week and thought i was fit and loved training , lost it all when i met my Mrs though and now tried this dvd to loose some weight

Never been pushed like this and lots of new moves that never knew about and no weights or sit ups required but its more for a slimmer athlete build defo worth a try and also once you completed this dvd there's another that pro athletes use insanity asylum dvd, i tried a few parts of it its nuts

The video is cheesey american but its really works and some of the guys in back ground are ex army and they struggle

All I can say is Insanity have never felt stronger fitter than doing this beats the gym and weight training and great if your on a tight budget like me

From 12 years old i used dumbells/weights every day situps press up went to gym , cycled every where played football 20hrs+ a week and thought i was fit and loved training , lost it all when i met my Mrs though and now tried this dvd to loose some weight

Never been pushed like this and lots of new moves that never knew about and no weights or sit ups required but its more for a slimmer athlete build defo worth a try and also once you completed this dvd there's another that pro athletes use insanity asylum dvd, i tried a few parts of it its nuts

The video is cheesey american but its really works and some of the guys in back ground are ex army and they struggle

I was on holiday in new york and during one of the evenings saw the advert come on for this insanity work out about 10 times in a hour. It is the first "advert" for fitness that genuinly got me intruiged as to whether it would work or not. I have been going to the gym for around 5 years now just to keep myself healthy. I lift weights and rarely do any form of cardio but I manage to keep the gut off by eating very clean compared to your average day to day male. Its good to see someone who has tried the insanity workout I am once again now very tempted to give it a go. I think when I last considered the over cheesy adverts put me off but you really can not argue with the results that people were getting.

It definitely looks great for conditioning and I expect when its coming up to summer I will give this a blast for 4 weeks and see where I get. How much did you pay for the lot? No doubt I will feel guilty for not lifting heavy stuff but I like to break away from the gym for a couple of weeks between programs so this might be ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

In short, im loaded onto pre-para in June, my cardio is very good, strenght to weight is good (pull ups etc) and i never drop off stretcher races, log runs (determination more than anything)

but,

i have the time between now and june to get fit as possibke, i particular want to build leg muscles and shoulder strenght

ive got training programes from various ptis that have done the cse, but wondered if you lot have a different look on it, im cramming the carbs and protien as well as hitting the gym hard most nights, but have to fit in boot runs and bergan runs as well as my daily PT anyways,

so legs and shoulders, hit me

In short, im loaded onto pre-para in June, my cardio is very good, strenght to weight is good (pull ups etc) and i never drop off stretcher races, log runs (determination more than anything)

but,

i have the time between now and june to get fit as possibke, i particular want to build leg muscles and shoulder strenght

ive got training programes from various ptis that have done the cse, but wondered if you lot have a different look on it, im cramming the carbs and protien as well as hitting the gym hard most nights, but have to fit in boot runs and bergan runs as well as my daily PT anyways,

so legs and shoulders, hit me

I'd say hit up all the compound exercises, rather than work specifically on legs and shoulders. So get on the Deadlift, Bent Over Rows, Bench Press and Olympic Press for sure. You'll get loads of shoulders and legs in there, but while still upping the muscles that support them. Might as well be as well rounded as you can going into PP?

Considered climbing as a hobby? I've seen more change in my body in the last 3 months than the the 2 years before that. It's brilliant for finger/hand stregnth and all round core ting. Bit shit for cardio fitness though.

• Like 1

I'd say hit up all the compound exercises, rather than work specifically on legs and shoulders. So get on the Deadlift, Bent Over Rows, Bench Press and Olympic Press for sure. You'll get loads of shoulders and legs in there, but while still upping the muscles that support them. Might as well be as well rounded as you can going into PP?

this.

and walking with weights. nothing like getting 150 kg on the olympic bar, deadlifting it, then walking with it across the sports hall,then back again, and again, till your hands bleed.

quick update from myself, going skiing on saturday so not doing anything till february, but hopefully by then all the gyms will of quitened down, so i can rejoin a decent one that doesnt want to turn itself into a health club every few months and replace squat racks with cross trainers.

training at home with limited weights is actually quite refreshing, in that you have to set yourself new challenges rather than just trying to whack an extra plate on the end.

boom, second day of dieting today, not going too bad. diet today has looked like;

breakfast:

50g of granola, 25g of protein shake

mid morning snack: 2 servings of breaded fish, in 3 slices of bread

lunch: 300g (about) of chicken, 100g of broccoli

afternoon snack: 25g of protein shake

tea: tin of soup, 3 slices of bread

late night snack: 100g of chicken, 100g of broccoli.

and just rinsed another 25g of protein

honestly intended to eat more, but im stuffed, yet somehow about 1400 calories under maintenance. technically could swap out that last protein shake for a litre tub of ice cream and still drop weight hopefully(im not going too)

also set myself a goal of 50,000 press ups in 2012...

Remove the bread, also separate the carbs and protien as meals, try an cut the carbs down to breakfast about 40/50 grams. The only time I would h e carbs and protien in te same meal would after gym, also try to make sure fat is less that 15g per meal

Edited by dave33

Remove the bread, also separate the carbs and protien as meals, try an cut the carbs down to breakfast about 40/50 grams. The only time I would h e carbs and protien in te same meal would after gym, also try to make sure fat is less that 15g per meal

aye, to be fair i stuck at it about 6 days... Im working 60 hour weeks and i just didnt have time for it/ functioning on 5 hours sleep, going to grab a lunch of broccoli and chicken had less appeal than shooting my brains out at that point in time.

reasoning behind the bread was to keep me sane.rather than nutritional value.

Have started training again properly, am just feeling the end of the loading phase of creatine in a big way.

Last time I trained it was for cycling and XC racing so I only focused on cardio and getting super lean and powerful, this time I just want to bulk up, get some rip and get defined groups.

Much to my suprise I have gone straight back in at 15kg dumbells and just gone up to 20kg a piece. I have been focusing on curls, hammers and forward rolls, with 20 situps every hour during the day, an hour and a half of weights every night and a 20mins mix of curls, sits and reverse hammers to wake me up in the morning. I have replaced my lunch with a turkey salad and started taking 5g of creatamax in my tea, consuming 20g a day.

Feeling it already, I have done 5 days of a pretty hard routine so will have a rest day on Sunday then get straight back on it.

I have done myself a 21 day plan, so if it isn't too gay I will post a day "now" photo and one a week for the next three?

Biceps aren't too bad, just need to work a lot on chest, back, shoulders, traps, triceps, forearms and (probably) legs. :P

I'm not posting pictures of me at the moment, despite being in the best shape of my life I still think I'm fat and pitiful. 5'10", 184lbs, 14-15% BF (estimated), 14.5" arms (yeh guns blud rawr). My BMI is only 26.4 these days. :( Used to be 27.5, ah thems were the days.

Edited by Muel

Haha! Biceps are ok, the rest needs a lot of work as I just haven't got any defined groups at all! As I said I used to train for XC racing so I was super lean, I used to be 11st at 6ft so my BF was super low.

I have been doing 20 bench pushes with a 15kg bell in each hand and switching back and forwards from curls and through other pushes and pulls. That should sort my chest out, for my shoulders I have been doing pull ups from one of those door frame bars. But can anybody reccomend something I can do with my dumbells to get on my shoulders/chest?

My legs are f**king epic though, I have mahoosive thighs and calfs for my frame.