The Random Facts Thread

Michael Hardman

it does state a mountain is usually measured from sea level up

If we're gonna get all "Selective Sources", "Usually" measured doesn't mean "Always". Plus, that wouldn't make much sense ot me anyway, 'cos if you're measuring the height of a mountain, surely if the mountain began on a raised plateau, say, 100ft above sea level, it'd be measured as way above it anyway? Meh. Probably why I'm not a geologist.

But yeah, my point still stands (Y)

If we're gonna get all "Selective Sources", "Usually" measured doesn't mean "Always". Plus, that wouldn't make much sense ot me anyway, 'cos if you're measuring the height of a mountain, surely if the mountain began on a raised plateau, say, 100ft above sea level, it'd be measured as way above it anyway? Meh. Probably why I'm not a geologist.

But yeah, my point still stands (Y)

Nah, from that source (wikipedia for reference) it states that you can also measure a mountain from its base, to its tip, but some mountains like some on the equator, where there is a natural bulge in the earth, would always be above sea level. Then theres the method of measuring the tip's distance to the center of the earth. Not quite sure how that one works, but heh.

However, this still doesn't conclude if a mountain is a mountain below sea level.

There is such a thing as an underwater mountain, infact if you want to get all pushy then the highest mount is infact one that starts underwater and the tip of it surfaces above sea level. This mountain is the highest i nthe world beating Mt Everest.

My reasoning is that all mountains are formed by tectonioc activity, either through earthquakes to cause the tectonic plates to bang into each other and depending on the densities of the two plates one will be forced down underneath the other or up over it etc...

Volcanic eruptions dont create mountains they add to existing mountains when the lava that comes out hardens and forms land.

Now becasue tectonic activty occurs within the crust of the earth mountains are therefore formed out of the crust, which at the end of the day is land be it above or below the water.

Techincallly all mountains be it above or below sea level are called mountains but they may be geographical labelled differently. I only did degree level geomorphology for a year and dent like it but I do remeber some of it. I can always email my tutors and ask.,

Edited by Michael Hardman

About the shape of the Earth, what people say about it has bugged me for some time. From about.com:

The circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,901.55 miles (40,075.16 kilometers).

But, if you measure the earth through the poles the circumference is a bit shorter - 24,859.82 miles (40,008 km).

So you see the "bulge" in the earth is caused by a difference in circumference of only 67.18 km. That is only a difference of .1679%! To me that is miniscule. The whole thing about the Earth being ellipsoid is so freaking pedantic.

Anyway, just my take (Y) :D

Edit: The about.com article reference can be found here:

http://geography.about.com/library/faq/blqzcircumference.htm

Edited by thegoofeedude

Sticking on the ultra-pedantic subject of the world being slightly eliptical and mountains and stuff: While Everest is the highest mountain above sea level, it is not the point furthest from the centre of the earth. The point furthest from the centre of the earth is Mt Chimborazo in Ecuador.

FACT:

26% of all Mach 3 razors made for sale in the UK will be stolen (Y)

Sticking on the ultra-pedantic subject of the world being slightly eliptical and mountains and stuff: While Everest is the highest mountain above sea level, it is not the point furthest from the centre of the earth. The point furthest from the centre of the earth is Mt Chimborazo in Ecuador.

FACT:

26% of all Mach 3 razors made for sale in the UK will be stolen (Y)

True its some volcano or mountain that has its base under sea level, the tip of the mountain is above sea level.

Fact- This is the most intresting thread created in chit chat for months

Fact 2- It will be closed for some gay reason soon

Fact 3- Peter Kay speaks the truth with those facts!

Fact 4- Guano apes are an amazing band

ok im done, more a matter of opinion really but meh

one more- This is the first post in ages that I haven't used a emotion in

Edited by Rob P

Fact- This is the most intresting thread created in chit chat for months

Fact 2- It will be closed for some gay reason soon

Fact 3- Peter Kay speaks the truth with those facts!

Fact 4- Guano apes are an amazing band

ok im done, more a matter of opinion really but meh

one more- This is the first post in ages that I haven't used a emotion in

Fact: This topic came about becasue I wanted to mix rice crisp chocolate into angel delight, all hail food.

You said coal, why would they use such a valuable fossil fuel for toothbrushes. :blink:

It's also made for lots of things not just toothbrush bristles. >_<

Coal, air and water when cleverly put together by the uber scientists and what not, they get the synthetic fibre 'nylon' which coincidentally enough is what the toothbrushes are made from.

Nothing is actually random. Despite the incessant use of the word 'random' to desribe anything a little bit 'off the wall' or quirky, all actions/thoughts/etc are the product of prior thoughts/actions/etc.

Also, all pet hamsters in the world today originated from a single (female obviously) hamster in Syria in the early 1930's.

Similarly, every variation of potato in the world originated from a single potato in Peru 7000 years ago.