Angle Grinder + King

mad_gavo

right I needed to change the rear sprocket on my king to a smaller size due to getting an 18t front ring when i used to have a 20t. But having an alu freehub body the cog was dug in big style (Y)

The only way i could get it off was to cut it off. i used the cutting disk on my dremel and cut it off carefully all well and good (Y)

My only worry is that could all of the bits of metal from the grinding disk have got into the hub or are the seals good? btw i have done my best to wash off all of the bits.

Just want to know before i go for a ride and possibly damage my hub (Y)

Whilst im on this subject i used to run 20-17 gearing and liked it will my new 18-15 gearing be the same? as it is still 2 teeth less or not :P

Cheers for your help gavin :)

right I needed to change the rear sprocket on my king to a smaller size due to getting an 18t front ring when i used to have a 20t. But having an alu freehub body the cog was dug in big style (Y)

The only way i could get it off was to cut it off. i used the cutting disk on my dremel and cut it off carefully all well and good (Y)

My only worry is that could all of the bits of metal from the grinding disk have got into the hub or are the seals good? btw i have done my best to wash off all of the bits.

Just want to know before i go for a ride and possibly damage my hub (Y)

Whilst im on this subject i used to run 20-17 gearing and liked it will my new 18-15 gearing be the same? as it is still 2 teeth less or not :P

Cheers for your help gavin :)

20/17=1.176

18/15=1.2

So no it's a different ratio, your new one being slightly harder.

Your king should be fine, to be safe, you may aswell take it apart, and clean the driveshell, especially the helical splines untill they're spotless, clean the inside bearing in the shell, and the driverings with a clean toothbrush if possible. (Y)

For future reference, a quick and fun way to take apart a king, see here: http://tv.isg.si/site/?q=filebrowser/Fatmike Bottom file - it will open with Realplayer (Y)

Mike.

Your king should be fine, to be safe, you may aswell take it apart, and clean the driveshell, especially the helical splines untill they're spotless, clean the inside bearing in the shell, and the driverings with a clean toothbrush if possible. (Y)

For future reference, a quick and fun way to take apart a king, see here: http://tv.isg.si/site/?q=filebrowser/Fatmike Bottom file - it will open with Realplayer (Y)

Mike.

Whoa, what brought that on?

so is 18 - 15 a good choice in gearing? il give it a go if it a go anyway :P how much differnt is it? noticable? and how the hell did you work it out (Y)

Even though it should be ok il take my king apart to make sure as i dont want it breaking (Y) probably needs a service anyway as its been left alone scince about april (Y)

Considering it is 98% the same as your other ratio I would be incredibly impressed if you could tell the difference :D

The difference is suprising, actually! Not so noticeable when going from your bike to someone elses, but if you change the ratio on your own bike it feels a hell of a lot different in my experience!

Put the driveshell in a vice and get a chain whip on the cog and give it some beans until its back where it should be then you mite be able to get it off with a bit of a bash :S

thats what i;d have thought. either that, or unscrew your axle, take the freehub off the wheel with the cog on it, then you can hit the sprocket from the spoke-side with a hammer, without the need of a chainwhip? make sense? :( you will bend your old sproket like made.... but it will come off - thats how i did mine :)

Put the driveshell in a vice and get a chain whip on the cog and give it some beans until its back where it should be then you mite be able to get it off with a bit of a bash :S

DO NOT put it in a vice to try to get the cog off - me and a mate tried and squashed the driveshell and it was a hell of a job for the tart to sort out (cheers adam :( )

Tom

DO NOT put it in a vice to try to get the cog off - me and a mate tried and squashed the driveshell and it was a hell of a job for the tart to sort out (cheers adam :S )

Tom

Loosely in a vice :P It shouldnt have to be tight at all because of the shape of the casette body.