Which Brakes To Get?

am4zin

hey guys, as you are all aware, christmas is fast approaching and, like me, you'll probably be asking for trials related presents.

i originally wanted to have cable brakes on my bike, just because of the simplicity of it, but to have a set up thats been reccomended by members such as leeds_trials and paul oliver, although i really really want it, is quite expensive.

as a result i think im just going to buy maguras, because they're undoubtedly good, but also comparitavely cheaper/same price to avid ultimates and sd7s.

i've seen what bikedock are offering(set for £90), but its either the 04 brakes that fir to v-brake mounts, or the 05 set.

which set of maguras should i go for?

thanks for the help

check out chainreactioncycles.com for the brakes, cheapest about.

get some heatsink pads on there, as the new ones i have are amazing and i cant see myself changing ever, much better than plaz/koxx and awesome value aswell.

depending on your frame flex, if you need one get a heatsink booster as a added bonus.

both of these products can be found on www.heatsinkbikes.com

and you will have a mint back brake for just under £100

sorted

Edited by James_Porter

get the 04 ones there stronger and seem to give me more power plus there only 39.99 at the moment

my mate has snapped three 05 levers in a month.

Gavyn :)

Thats why you dont do up the bolts on your brake levers so hard that when they hit the floor they snap not just spin slightly on the bars :P

And the 05 ones have some slight adjustments with ratio's

Ok proved wrong!!!

Edited by pissin_on_the_fence

I went through 2 05 TPA's in 2 days absolutly crap.

the 05s are fine

ive got 2 sets on different bikes and they're all still perfectly fine (1 set is a year old, the other about 4-5 months). they dont suffer from the TPA breaking off because it doesnt poke out like on the 04 version, the levers are nice and close to the bar and if you mount them far enough from the grips they dont crush your fingers when you use them.

the levers wont snap if you dont tighten them up to the bars too much - it says that in the manual if you actually read it.

the 05 version is supposed to be easier to fit to V mounts - it took me about 20 minutes to get them set up and working proper and i'd never fitted an HS33 before then. I should also point out that the booster shaped thing on the 05 evo2 mounts isn't a booster, its to aid with fitting and appears to work quite well .

that said, if you can get 04's for 40quids then go with them. If they're coming from CRC i seem to remember there only being rear ones so you're gonna end up with an awful lot of extra tubing flapping around at the front end.

I've used both the 04 and 05 magura HS33's on the rear. Personally I think the 05 lever is more comfortable than the 04 but I had no end of problems with the adjuster pushing through, cause poor lever reach. The 04 lever is also constructed in a stronger way, my mate managed to snap his 05 lever off.

If I was you I'd go for the 04 verson :P

I would say get the 05's they feel so much nicer, uber power and if you are worried about snapping them dont do the fecking magura bolt up so tight otherwise if you fall off no wonder it snaps.

Edited by Towler

i have had both the 04 and the 05 maguras and on the 05 i have had all sorts of problems with it i snapped the lever from just going other the bars slightly and pulling the adjuster through also i find they flex more. the 04 maguras are alot better they have a much stronger feel and are a nicer shape i find

you can get both the 04 and 05 complete sets from chainreactioncycles the 04s are £89.99 and the 05s £99.99

i reckon you should go for the 04s definately though :P :)

just get the HS33's and a good booster if you frame only has 2 bolt mounts then you have to get some EVO mounts to match

I would stay away from the evo mounts. Definatly a pain in the but when you have to work on your Maguras. Go and buy yourself a set of Avid V brakes.

I have had both 05 and 04 magura HS33`s .I found that the 04 one`s where a whole lot comfetable than the 05 one`s.My 05 lever started to crack underneath the lever body just from normal riding.Genrely I think the 04 maggie`s are better.

Thanks

Deonn.