Cheap Way To "widen" Handlebars

joiboi180

The other day my friend bought these lock on grips, and they usually come with 4 nuts for you to tighten the grips on. But when he opened the pack there were only 2 nuts to use for both grips... so hes like dang it. But then I'm a nice guy so I took 2 nuts off my grips and gave it to him and he was happy.

Anywho so I got home today and this great idea popped into my head... i was like wow these lock ons have been holding well with only 1 nut each grip (nuts tighted on the inner part of the grip)... i wonder what would happen if i slid them out off the ends of the handlebar to act as a handlebar extention... and it worked like a dream... ive never had so much control in my life... turning on back wheel has never been so effortless and i think i gained 3 - 4 inches on my hop, length and heightwise...

Feels so awesome to ride lat width! Just thought I'd share this incase there are some cheap people like me out there who don't wanna spend 40+ on longer handlebars.

God Bless All!

-Ian (Y)

only problem with all this is the bars aint designed for the extra length and if there butted bars makes them alot more likey to snap because you changed the main stress point on the bar just a word of warning.

Edited by breedy13

Its going to snap in the long term because the leverage on one stress point is going to make it go snappy snappy i wouldnt try it in the long term mess about short term but all you doing is damaging your bars.

When you becaombe a member on here you could probably just swap those bars for some longer 1s if you really think it did you that much good

yeah by doing this you've changed the geometry that the bars were designed around, therefore you're putting strees on points of the bars where its not designed to be

they'll snap, you'll hurt yourself, put the grips back to normal and start saving :P

I kinda doubt you've added much to you hops/height etc, wider bars only really give you balance.

The length of the bars dose make quite a difference in the height of your hop etc, I had had 30" carbon fiber bars and I swopped them for some 28" bars and I found I had more control and could back wheel higher.

Edited by tom_wilko

The length of the bars dose make quite a difference in the height of your hop etc, I had had 30" carbon fiber bars and I swopped them for some 28" bars and I found I had more control and could back wheel higher.

so does that mean the wider the bars the lower you can hop? To a certain extent.

Brisa bars are way to big they feel ridiculas (sp) :P But if you like wide bars and a big rise on them then they are the way forward. monty bar and stem did it for me when i had my python it felt a lot better than onza carbon bars so you should try them or zoo bars they are pritty big arn't they ? :P

rickyb

Hey Ian, I appreciate you don't want to pay for a new set of bars, but that sounds very dodgy man. I don't think I'd even ride my XC bike like that, never mind the abuse I put my trials bars through!

It's great if it gives you extra leverage, but I'd be saving up for a new set if you like em that way.

Be carefull, y'know :P :P

Ah icic thanks for all your comments everyone! :P

Yea i put the grips about 1 inch off the edge of the bar so i don't think the grip snapping is a problem. But yea the part about changing the bar geo I agree with. Maybe i only think i have more control since this is a new feel, but yea with the stuff I do I don't think I put too much stress on the bar.

Hmm but I do find it wierd how I turn on back much easier... like its on 1 point... no side or back movement at all when I turn... and my hops hardly leave the ground... feels like im floating... and when i tried just doing my normal high hop on flat land i usually hit the 30 - 31 inch range... and i can feel my airtime... but with the wider bars i thought i was hanging a lil longer in the air... ionno probably my brain playing tricks on me... but yea I'm probably gonna ride like this a lil longer then switch back to normal bar length.

Thanks all once again for your comments! :)

God Bless!

-Ian