Problems With Tapping

MikeCottTrials

basically i was trying to tap 4 blue pallets today which i think is just over your handlebars, but i just couldnt get the height also i felt when i tapped it that i was to close or i just seem to be to far back to get on it. has anyone else had this problem and managed to solve it? i just started thinking when i got home maybe i should try physically pushing my front wheel into the wall instead of just starting slightly later. does that sound right to anyone

basically i was trying to tap 4 blue pallets today which i think is just over your handlebars, but i just couldnt get the height also i felt when i tapped it that i was to close or i just seem to be to far back to get on it. has anyone else had this problem and managed to solve it? i just started thinking when i got home maybe i should try physically pushing my front wheel into the wall instead of just starting slightly later. does that sound right to anyone

That's the exact opposite of what you want to do.

Lol it's 24'' which is lower than your wheel. I never liked tapping pallets, they move are generally awkward. But try not to let your brackwheel leave the ground until you've tappedso it pushes you upward (Y)

Lol it's 24'' (Y)

you realise blue pallets are quite alot bigger than normal ones 3 is definately more than 26"

thx for your replies guys

from what you sed i think i was doing it right just that i havent practiced enough

Edited by mikehulltrials

i learnt taps again today and i found it much easier taking a shorter run up to the wall, this means when its time to pull the front wheel up it hits the wall and i go up the wall to back wheel, quite sketch though doing it on a curved wet wall but stuck it n feels so much better than a usual wheeliehop

a crate (blue) is 6 inchs high

yeah ive seen you do it, your really sick at it, i aimed low cos i thought it would be easier to learn on but il try 5 instead of 4 but ive gotta say 5 looks a shit load bigger than 4. lol if i try to break my measly forks then i think theyll snap clean in half.

Edited by mikehulltrials

nah forks do take a lot before they break also 5 does look higher but is easyer in a way (Y)

Ben

My brief foray into the world of tapping has taught me that higher is easier (up to a point)- if you can backwheel it without much of a runup theres not much point trying to tap it cos you'll just miss.

You definitely want to be close to the wall when you lift/pedal and you want to hit it pretty bloody hard.

ye i have had lots of problems, trying to tap, and smashed my head a couple of times.....but from time to time i have those mad dashes whare i try some thing well hard, but i still aint done it........ i have lost my confidence, i ahve learnt a lot off my tricks and styles when slightly pissed, obviously not wrecked but merry it gives you sa bit more confidence.....

i can tap my 20 inch bike but only up a 10 brick wall, any higher than that is impossible as my wheelbase is only 1000.

try lifting your bike up more and try not to push the bike forward.

hope this helps :)

oh, and thought i would just make sure, do not hold the front brake in. Your probably not that stupid but i thought i would just make sure.

Edited by medwaytrials

i learnt taps again today and i found it much easier taking a shorter run up to the wall, this means when its time to pull the front wheel up it hits the wall and i go up the wall to back wheel, quite sketch though doing it on a curved wet wall but stuck it n feels so much better than a usual wheeliehop

a crate (blue) is 6 inchs high

Blue pallets are 6.5" according to the manufacturers, and most other pallets are a standard 6". So yeah, basically it's 26" high. Either way, not bar height...

You're best off learning on something a little higher, simply because you need to have momentum upwards to generate more force in the tap to throw you up further (mmmmm grammar), and with something that low you're not going to have to lift it super hard. Basically, when I'm doing a big up I do it totally differently to something low...

try lifting your bike up more and try not to push the bike forward.

hope this helps :)

you may be onto something there i noticed hulltrialser does that, not sure kind of how you go about it. but come the weekend il try lifting the bike instead of pushing it forward

By the way does anyone have a little clip of themselves tapping so i can see, obviously ive seen tapping in full vids but not as clear as i wouldve liked

It's your lucky day, click and choose austin tap, you can't get much clearer than this. link

look at the slab on the top once he's landed. It broke!

i can tap my 20 inch bike but only up a 10 brick wall, any higher than that is impossible as my wheelbase is only 1000.

I did 48" once on my T-Pro (didn't fully mean to, but what the Hell), and that measured in at just under 1000mm. Short 'n' high. Nice. Not being cockey or anything, I just meant that it's not "Impossible" to go higher 'cos you've got a short WB bike.

Anyways, tried it on my Zip and got the same height, but it was way easier. I also didn't have the funtastic twin bruises on my thighs from the bars. That's the major thing I dig about having a longer front end - just so much easier to move around on...

Ive recently got tapping sorted.

Ive found i really have to plough my front into the wall on lower stuff. Going up higher is more of a glancing hit as i take off. Take off needs to be quite vertical.

My only issue is getting the rear wheel up without hitting the wall on the way up