Should I Go 24"

Exstionhead

I think 24" UCI is the way forwards personally, and IMO onza are the first people to make the leap.

I think the Onza 24 looks substandard in quality terms.

Whatever wheel size i wanted, i would buy a Leeson or Curtis (Y)

I'm sure some people will want the Onza to jump on the 24" bandwagon without laying out cash?

UCI already has two wheel sizes to choose from :P

Dave

Built up a 24" trials bike about 3 years ago. Unfortunately it's weight was over 14kg, which was because all available 24" rims/tyres were for downhill use and therefor very very heavy. I loved the geometry (copied 24" ZOO frame, the name I dont remember). Used a mod stem on it, which gave it a super-long mod feeling.

One of my friends (the chap who started the BT company) rode a 24" "BT" for about one year. He says it was an ideal combination of 26" and 20" bikes.

The Zoot looks sweet, I'd love to have a go on it. :) I'd go for it if I were you.

Edited by Inur

a 24"uci bike would just suck in my opinion, what would the point be? :S

That's funny, I seem to remember people saying that about 24" trials bikes ages ago? :rolleyes: Seems weird how people riding innovative bikes that pushed boundaries are now slating innovative bikes that could potentially push boundaries? Ah well. Good thing there's choice in the market I guess.

It took our 24" Zoot to bring out all the Onza bashers from the woodwork again. What a load of rubbish some of you talk. I quote, "generic cheap crap" "heavy and should of (have?) never been made""substandard quality" "Onza, the scurge (I think he meant scourge)of trials" I like to get constructive criticism which is why we get you guys to test our stuff thoroughly before releasing it. However, this sort of mindless prejudiced attack on a product that few of them will have seen, gives the guy who first posed the question , no help at all. Just because I choose to have the products which we design, made in some of the most modern factories in the world in Taiwan (not Mongolia) rather than bend and weld a few bits of steam pipe in my garage does not mean we are not pushing the name and reputation of a British company, around the globe and certainly does not mean our products deserve this sort of tirade. We have chain rings made in the USA and our new brake blocks are made in the UK. I currently have 3 patents going through and our freewheel has already got a Euro registered design. The "gay" head tube thing refered to by one poster I presume is our innovative anti flare stainless steel rings top and bottom of the head tube to accept an otherwise conventional headset. Whatever our products may be, in your opinion , they are certainly not generic.

Rather than being the scourge of trials, I think we have put it where it is today, raising its profile and making it affordable.

By all means bull up your favourite brand, but if you need to resort to slandering our products to make your point, it just indicates your arguments in favour are not too strong.

Mike, everyone is allowed an oppinion. It is inevitable that not everyone will like your product, as you can see from this topic there are many people who are genuinely interested in the zoot, however there are some others who are not. Some of the reasons have more credability than others, for me its the ideaoligy behind it. If I am honest if Zoo or Echo where the first to bring out a 24 UCI bike they would get the same treatment. Its not just onza.

As for Akrigg, is his Charge an adaptation of the dirt jump frame or a new frame completely?

Edited by derf

Someone had to say it, and couldnt be a better person to than mike.

best rant ive read in a while (and alot more point than most of them too)

the 24" zoot looks an ideal ride for someone who wants a lighter trials bike, bit not a pogo stick (mod)

I have a leeson and have to say the workmanship will be hard tried to be beaten by machines and is such a fun ride as you can mix up everything youve ever imagined and pulls it off flickier than a bmx.

I totally accept that everyone is entitled to an opinion and if you don't like our products,our business, our method of operation or any other aspect of Onza, Tensile or whatever product we are involved with, then that is perfectly OK. What I object to is when a topic is raised about one of our products, in this case a cycle which has no likeness anywhere and which was released about 10 days before christmas and which we have sold about 20 worldwide, suddenly attracts comments which can have no basis in fact whatsoever. Phrases like "generic cheap crap" and "substandard quality" are bandied about by people who have more than likely never even seen the bike, let alone ridden it. It is stuffed with parts that already have a strong reputation and it is an attempt to widen the boundaries a little but its ultimate success or failure is down to it finding a market.

All I am saying is that whatever your personal opinion, unless you can contribute factually to a discussion without prejudice or hearsay just button it. I don't like it is fine . I don't like it cos its Onza therefore its crap is not fine. Rant over.

All I am saying is that whatever your personal opinion, unless you can contribute factually to a discussion without prejudice or hearsay just button it. I don't like it is fine . I don't like it cos its Onza therefore its crap is not fine. Rant over.

Point taken and accepted with grace. :)

I totally accept that everyone is entitled to an opinion and if you don't like our products,our business, our method of operation or any other aspect of Onza, Tensile or whatever product we are involved with, then that is perfectly OK. What I object to is when a topic is raised about one of our products, in this case a cycle which has no likeness anywhere and which was released about 10 days before christmas and which we have sold about 20 worldwide, suddenly attracts comments which can have no basis in fact whatsoever. Phrases like "generic cheap crap" and "substandard quality" are bandied about by people who have more than likely never even seen the bike, let alone ridden it. It is stuffed with parts that already have a strong reputation and it is an attempt to widen the boundaries a little but its ultimate success or failure is down to it finding a market.

I guess I must have very high standards. I like to sit down when I ride. The appeal of a 24" bike to me, is a bike which will be equally at home on the rocks as it is in a skatepark or trails. They just look fun and throwable. Plus they have seats. I also like the idea of it being made from steel, which given the way I ride, negates the need for a reinforced headtube.

Its also a question of ethics I suppose. From a business point of view, I can understand the appeal of a tax free zone and cheap labour costs, but would rather splash out the money on something a little less mass produced.

Anyhow I digress. I say try a 24. Pretty sure you would enjoy it. Maybe coming from a mod, the zoot would hold an appeal for you, but I'd, say if you can, splash out on something with a seat.

I also like the idea of it being made from steel, which given the way I ride, negates the need for a reinforced headtube.

Leesons are more likely to crack there than the Zoot, anyway :rolleyes: . It's all very well saying you like Leeson's ethics and quality of ride, but is that REALLY that important? Sounds like a pretty bad excuse to badmouth Onza to me. I don't really understand why you're saying that in this topic either? You could apply the above argument to 99% of bike manufacturers (Ie everyone apart from Leeson, Curtis and a few others).

I am gonna get another Leeson I think, but I would certainly buy a Zoot if it had the right geometry and the right price. There's no point in being anti-Onza these days, all you're doing is shooting yourself in the foot.

Leesons are more likely to crack there than the Zoot, anyway :rolleyes: . It's all very well saying you like Leeson's ethics and quality of ride, but is that REALLY that important? Sounds like a pretty bad excuse to badmouth Onza to me. I don't really understand why you're saying that in this topic either? You could apply the above argument to 99% of bike manufacturers (Ie everyone apart from Leeson, Curtis and a few others).

I am gonna get another Leeson I think, but I would certainly buy a Zoot if it had the right geometry and the right price. There's no point in being anti-Onza these days, all you're doing is shooting yourself in the foot.

In my mind the ethics are important. But then Im not everyone, Im just one voice that seems to be pissing people off. Like I said though. The onza might hold an appeal, but in my mind they dont at all. Id rather splash out on something bespoke.

Na 24" is the way forward and once I got some money together I'll be after a 24" aswell. Either the Zoot need to have a go on one first or Leeson depends if Matt Staples 24 be out then as I'll consider that aswell.

So we get some more Urban Legends. The only Tax Free zone is to make in the UK. Everything else has import duty, Vat, freight costs, insurance etc. Also the Taiwanese have more or less the same standard of living that we do and certainly get similar sort of wages. (Taiwan is a lot different to China) All our frames are batch produced not mass produced and are all built by hand by individual frame builders. The main difference is however that they work a lot harder than we do in the UK and therefore have greater productivity.

If you want a seat with the Zoot we have a bolt on bracket and seat post specially designed for it to take any seat you want.

i wanted to go 24" but im not sure about it might as well just go bmx but i still not sure on with one to got got

Hobbsie

this isn't a dig at you at all, but people (in general) seem to think that you can't ride trials on a 24" bike, its so weird i don't get it.

my 24" bike is as good as (most) trials bikes of a few years. most people that ride 24" do have a big street side to there riding, but i have seen some great trials riding on 24" bikes to. hell damon sidehopped my leeson 4/5" above bar height first go.

there are just like a really compact stock bike really, great for trials and great for street :)

so get the damn zoot...

mike

So we get some more Urban Legends. The only Tax Free zone is to make in the UK. Everything else has import duty, Vat, freight costs, insurance etc. Also the Taiwanese have more or less the same standard of living that we do and certainly get similar sort of wages. (Taiwan is a lot different to China) All our frames are batch produced not mass produced and are all built by hand by individual frame builders. The main difference is however that they work a lot harder than we do in the UK and therefore have greater productivity.

If you want a seat with the Zoot we have a bolt on bracket and seat post specially designed for it to take any seat you want.

Can you make a streetier Zoot please? :D