Beginner Spec - Changes/advice

tuff_runt

hey all,

im in middle of revising for my final year exams at uni, and once again my mind has wondered onto a different kind of biking (last Christmas it was flatland bmx...which I still do).

Ok, I am by no means new to bikes. I have been riding MTBs for 8 years, and know the ins and outs of MTB DH and street, and BMX street like the back of my hand.

However, trials is a new world.

So I drew up a rough spec for a biketo get me started...

Planet-x ali bongo

DMR Trailblades

Mavic 721s (the new version of 521s) on XT hubs (not sure if they hubs will take it)

DMR Moto tyres (maybe something different for the rear?)

Cranks-wise, something like FSA 22T with bash ring

Bar and stem-wise, I iwll probably run normal MTB bars, and a longer, higher rise stem, yeah?

Brakes will be Avid vs probably

Problem - I have no idea if I should buy a bike with 26s like above, or a 20. what are advan/disads? i know there is like the onza t-pro for £400, which would be hceaper than building the bike above, but then i don't know if 20 will be good for all in-city riding.

i also dont know anyone who rides trials (all my mates are BMXers or MTBers) so I cant ride either of these kinds of bikes!

help!

Your idea for a bike would last a long time for a beginner the rear hub would need changing eventually though. A twenty inch would be better for learning on but you should try and have a go on a few different bikes before you make a final descision.

Well the spec you've got there is a little old school trials. I reckon whjat would be best for you is to buy a fully built bike like an onza. Then as you get better you can upgrade it, with parts that you will then need due to your improvements. If you are made of money try and get an Onza limey/woodstock spec. I've known people to get an Onza Trex/woodstock speck, so i'm sure supercycles could sort you out one. Yet if you're not made of dosh, a good old begginers t-raptor which will need some upgrading eventually. Finally i recommend you go onto www.tartybikes.co.uk and just go through all the pages getting used to all the parts and brands up for grabs. This will give you better trials parts knowledge! :D

Well the spec you've got there is a little old school trials. I reckon whjat would be best for you is to buy a fully built bike like an onza. Then as you get better you can upgrade it, with parts that you will then need due to your improvements. If you are made of money try and get an Onza limey/woodstock spec. I've known people to get an Onza Trex/woodstock speck, so i'm sure supercycles could sort you out one. Yet if you're not made of dosh, a good old begginers t-raptor which will need some upgrading eventually. Finally i recommend you go onto www.tartybikes.co.uk and just go through all the pages getting used to all the parts and brands up for grabs. This will give you better trials parts knowledge! :D

ah ha! tarty bikes, exactly the kind of site i was after, full of info. ill soak it up like im soaking up the fumes from the nearly varnished doors in my house...i feel a tad dizzy!

im not made of money...been doing some extra hours in my part time job over christmas so, considering i have never properly ridden trials (i used to kind of when i started MTB), budget is £500 tops.

cheers,a nd keep it coming!

Well you said you do flatland bmx,so if you feel comfortable on 20" stick with it. If you want a change then go 26.

Where abouts are you situated because they may be some riders in/near your area,you just don't know they are there because they are off riding there favourite trials spots while you were in your favourite flatland spot...

yeah, i ride a lot of bikes! my 24inch street bike seems a little bulky, which makes me think 26 wouldn't be for me.

i ride flatland bmx (not very well), but im fairly good at street BMX, so i probably should just get something like a t-pro. i wont buy until after exams as no doubt i won't touch a book if i get it before!

i live in belfast during week days for university, but live about 30 iles from there at weekend.

Well you said you do flatland bmx,so if you feel comfortable on 20" stick with it. If you want a change then go 26.

If he rides a bmx its better to stay with 20" wheels. I made that mistake i ride bmx park/dirt and when you go back to 26" you have to have half an hour to get used to the bigger wheels and the feel. (N)

so im now trying to get a mod :D

hope this helps you mate

Callum

glad to hear your getting into trials, i think that t-pro is a good bike to learn on, also you should consider the bike in link below as it is good to learn on (my mate has one) and they are knocked down from £440 (look in MBUK). and with the money you have left you can upgrade.

K9 bike

hope i helped :P

chris

yeah, i ride a lot of bikes! my 24inch street bike seems a little bulky, which makes me think 26 wouldn't be for me.

i ride flatland bmx (not very well), but im fairly good at street BMX, so i probably should just get something like a t-pro. i wont buy until after exams as no doubt i won't touch a book if i get it before!

i live in belfast during week days for university, but live about 30 iles from there at weekend.

There's a few riders off here from belfast, someone is selling an onza t-rex too I think he may be from belfast.

Look on www.trialsworld.com forums for some more info..

As you are just starting and with your budget i would reccomend an onza t-pro Linky A nice specced good bike (Y) Another way is to go second hand, and with your amount of money im sure you could get something very sweet! Just keep an eye in the buy & sell part of the forum. something like an 04 echo would be good (Y) Hope i helped

Cheers Jay

hi

i would say, as you used to do bmxing your used to 20", so stick with what you know (Y)

hmmmm possible idea for second hand bike, could be ebay, as they have some nice ones come on and off every so offtern!

worth keeping an eye out

as for advantages of 20" (mod) i would say that they are very flicky and also very easy to through about, and you can bunnny hop up most fings :D

as for 26" (stock) well iam not as sure as i dont ride a stock but i would say that they are deffo easyer to get places and if you dont like trials in the end ( :S first of all your off your head) but a stock can be converted in to a dirtjumping bike or an other form of mtb!

hope this helps

wilky

incase you didnt understand i would say go for a mod!!!

cheers

I started on a stock, never looked back, but then again i did do more dirt jumping on it, but tha spec looks good, very good.

stocks rock

looks like you've been on crc for all of that...

Edited by Monty Boy

Planet-x ali bongo-base ta26-feckin superb street frames, and cheap

DMR Trailblades-echo urbans/pashleys-pashelys are v only though

Mavic 721s (the new version of 521s) on XT hubs (not sure if they hubs will take it)-good rims, get a dmr revolver singlespeed rear hub with an acs claw, or a hope xc rear hub

DMR Moto tyres (maybe something different for the rear?)-maxxis supertacky compound high roller/minion for the rear

Cranks-wise, something like FSA 22T with bash ring-midleburns if you can afford them, otherwise hussefelts are great budget cranks

Bar and stem-wise, I iwll probably run normal MTB bars, and a longer, higher rise stem, yeah?-sounds fine to me, 2inch rise bars, and a 10degreex80mm stem seems good for a base if you decide to get 1

Brakes will be Avid vs probably-get sd7s with xtr levers, linear slick cable and decent rear pads like plazmatic crvs

now thats a bit of help :)

if you want a mod though, get a t pro-they seem to be the best cheap mod out, or consider the onza zoot, it sounds like it would suit you