Brake Freeze

monkey gav

Hay mate i just been out riding and my brake froze to lol, If you are out and it happens again just rub the pistons realy fast and breath on them. Also pull the leaver a bit when you doen it. thats what i did today. hope this helps dude.

Beau

HiHo, i have just came back from a night ride and my brake kept freezing up, so i had to keep rubbing the cylinders to stop it freezing, but whilst ridin back it completely froze :P so i'm definitely going to bleed it with anti-freeze next time. Does anybody know how much anti-freeze you should use? would a little bit just work or would you have to use a lot?

Cheers,

Tom.

Try putting a bit more in then. For the youth above, how will using water f**k the seals?

what are maguras designed to be bled with? ermm the words mineral oil comes to mind, water will start to rot the rubber seals and has anyone seen what anti freeze does to the paint on a car? go pour some on a car and see what happens and im sure you wont want that in your brake either.

just stop being pikey and use oil, i will have to confess though that in the summer i will be using water again but ill be changing my maggy to a new one in summer so will put it in one i have now.

ian

So if you're saying that water rots rubber then why is rubber THE most commonly used material for making seals etc? I wasn't asking anyone to be a clever fanny, I was asking for a straight answer. It's f**k all to do with being pikey either, water is a shitload faster than oil due to the viscosity. So anyone with an ounce of brain like to offer an explaination as to why water rots maggy internals?

Edited by Street Lee

the internals carrode, simple as. and brakes that are hydrolic are designed to be used with hydrolic fluid in the case of a magura it is mineral oil or magura blood as they call it, and im not going to disagree water feel alot nocer at the lever

Edited by ian

So if you're saying that water rots rubber then why is rubber THE most commonly used material for making seals etc? I wasn't asking anyone to be a clever fanny, I was asking for a straight answer. It's f**k all to do with being pikey either, water is a shitload faster than oil due to the viscosity. So anyone with an ounce of brain like to offer an explaination as to why water rots maggy internals?

pour oil on steel and leave it....... nothing

pour water on steel and it will rust it is the same "principle" for magura seals

as for the ammounts for a 50ml bleed per brake youll be looking at 20-30ml of anti freeze a good measure its pretty viscous anyway and so feels as good as water in the brake

Anti-freeze. 'nuff said. My brake froze up once this winter, got fed up, put some anti-freeze in it. Sorted.

how long has your brake been blead with water mark ??? i'm only asking because when i suggested the idea to a teacher she explained (in detail :( ) about the ph level of anti freeze and how its mildly acidic! have you had any problems with the seals or not ? :ermm:

Edited by joshywa

Joys of disinformation, eh.

what are maguras designed to be bled with? ermm the words mineral oil comes to mind, water will start to rot the rubber seals and has anyone seen what anti freeze does to the paint on a car? go pour some on a car and see what happens and im sure you wont want that in your brake either.

just stop being pikey and use oil, i will have to confess though that in the summer i will be using water again but ill be changing my maggy to a new one in summer so will put it in one i have now.

ian

Let's think about this for a second. Are Maguras only sold to trials riders in the UK? My sources say no. They're going to be sold for a variety of uses in many countries. If they sold them bled with water, don't you think people in, say, Iceland might get hissy when their brakes died? If downhillers used them, don't you think they'd get hissy if their brakes overheated to f**k? They have mineral oil seals which mean you CAN use water. You can use anything that isn't dot fluid, basically. To use your car analogy, have you ever seen how much dot fluid royally f**ks up paintwork? Oh wait, they have that in brakes too. SHOCKER. Seriously, it doesn't do anything. It doesn't "rot seals", and it won't suddenly rape your family in the middle of the night. Anti-freeze from washer bottles on cars is used to spray your windscreen. What are wiper blades made of? Rubber. What are seals made of (in Maguras)? Rubber. Connec-shin?

Another reason for Maguras being bled with oil might just happen to be the fact tehy can rape you for £3.50 for 50ml? How much could they charge for "Magura Royal Deionised Water"? ;)

It doesn't. Go nuts and use it. I bled mine with water f**king ages ago, and 'cept for a spell with oil, I've not noticed any horrific trauma or leaking or anything.

pour oil on steel and leave it....... nothing

pour water on steel and it will rust it is the same "principle" for magura seals

Erm, oxidisation isn't the same as water inside a brake, at all? Or even close to it? Not to mention you need air to rust steel, and time, and if you can actually operate a syringe you should have an airless setup, and shit - even if you didn't, you'd probably have trouble rusting the inside of a plastic hose? :P Yeah yeah, metal in there, grrrrrr, bad, never been a problem - as I said. Waaaaay more air needed, and steel...

how long has your brake been blead with water mark ??? i'm only asking because when i suggested the idea to a teacher she explained (in detail :( ) about the ph level of anti freeze and how its mildly acidic! have you had any problems with the seals or not ? :ermm:

No problems with water. Recently put anti freeze in. No problems with that. The many, many riders I know who use anti-freeze + water don't have a problem either.

To do mine, I just did a water bleed, then just mixed up some near 1:1 antifreeze/water, and just added it until the water came out the other end blue. Wasn't mad anti-freeze filled or anything, so not much to worry about. Hasn't frozen yet, and I've been out in temperatures way below 4°C, where you start to feel the effects of shit starting to ice up. I've gone and got it out of my garage when it's been -5 and lower over night, and no problems.

Antifreeze + water for the win.

Sorry if I've upset anyone with this, it's 3:39am and I'm tirrrrrrrreddddddddddddddddd...