Problem!

joe_eyre

Yeah there was a topic about this a while ago, if they do then they are pritty much confinding u to our local town. They say that they take up too much room and are getting in the way but that is pritty much the same as push chairs and luggage (N)

rickyb

Edited by rickyb

Hopefully it won't but it will proberly just be on trains without a bike rack, because they have places to put your bags so i don't see why they would change anything on the trains but it will happen on trains without the bike things because they are a bit strict about that already.

rickyb

if your that worried by it, why not make up a nationwide petition?? im sure the cycle union or whatever its called will back you up too.

Thats a good idear if this thing gose through, how would we get intouch with the cycle union?

cheers, rickyb

dont worry lol, probs just a disgruntled guard or summat, when toc's (train operating companies) put there bid in for the franchise the sra (strategic rail authoraty (sp?) ) usually demand they have some kind of thing on there trains for bikes (to make a greener country or something) so dont worry they wont stop us from taking our bikes or the sra will go apeshit at them lol

Ben

(i know too much about trains lol)

It won't happen. Think how much the government say's they will make changes and well...don't.

If the ban comes into action think how long it will take it to get organised. On virgin and great western trains the bike room is in the same carriage as the drivers cabin and the engine room.

All of these cariages will need replacing on hundreds of trains costing hundreds of thousands of pounds each.

The government is supposed to be promoting "green transport" so banning bikes from trains is in the long run helping global warming. At the same time they are trying to get people out of their car's and onto their bikes so banning them from trains won't help them at all.

If the ban comes into action think how long it will take it to get organised. On virgin and great western trains the bike room is in the same carriage as the drivers cabin and the engine room.

All of these cariages will need replacing on hundreds of trains costing hundreds of thousands of pounds each.

Or they could just leave them as they are and no put bike in there. :ermm:

Anyway, i very much doubt they'll ban bikes, i wouldn't get worked up about it untill it actully starts happening (if it does), then we protest / petition etc.

Or they could just leave them as they are and no put bike in there. :ermm:

Anyway, i very much doubt they'll ban bikes, i wouldn't get worked up about it untill it actully starts happening (if it does), then we protest / petition etc.

I agree I doubt they will cause this is some peoples means of transport for getting to work ect.

I hope this isn't the case...because that would suck majorly

but lets be honest.....you get so many comuters go on the trains with their bikes,they won't disallow bikes

because if they did then everyone will get cars and drive every where,and then the government will complain more about global warming etc and they won't have a leg to stand on

Ben

its funny how all the members say it wont happen and all the newbies are worried, rather humourous.

nah it wont happen.

as for adding to global warming, it will happen whatever we do as we are still coming out of an iceage, hence the polar ice caps.

hi there!

I think the virgin trains have bike racks :S But its the smaller central trains thats causeing the problem. with them being small. bikes take to much room. Cause were always getting told to mover our bikes when we travel on them trains :P

cheers jor (Y)