Crank Tightening...

Jez

OK, having been out of the game for a few years I was just wondering if anyone ever solved the eternal crank tightening problem? Seems I got lucky on the last bike I had years ago (had a pair of LX on a UN52, tightened em once, rode em for about year without tightening them).

Any advice?

Sorry if this has been asked a lot (I get the feeling it's one of THOSE questions).

Cheers.

do them up to about 40-45 nm's and make sure you keep checking them when they are new, as the aluminium will workharden when new is, this is the time when they need to be check. they then should be great,

but try not to let them get lose while riding and you should be fine :D

with new cranks its simple, providing you have a torque wrench and some grease (i always used lithium grease) and apply the grease to the taper and slip on the crank.

as dave said 40-45 Nm's is the recomended pressure for cranks, to little and you risk the crank working loose, too tight and you will destroy the angle which enables the cranks to stay locked in the same position on the taper.

the grease is to make sure that the pressure is applied evenly up the shaft/taper and a MUST HAVE for any set of new cranks (or old, providing the threads are clean) is some threadlock, applied to the crank bolt and you shouldnt have any problems.

Edited by hardcore_raver

Surely the simplest (yet not the cheapest) solution would be to locktite the bolts. First you will need to de-grease the threads in the axle and on the bolt itself. I was a bit sceptic about locktite at first because it took ages to dry but once it did, it really locked the screw in.