Photogramaphy.

Mark W

Just some links to sites with some cool semi-riding-related pics in 'em:

http://www.qualiaphoto.com/home/index.htm

http://www.streetphire.co.uk -> Photos

I had some more but I've lost them. Wanna know why? 'cos I rule. But yeah, well worth checking out.

Examples:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Non riding related, but well worth a visit:

Masters of Photography

Bit more tech than the rest, but super useful for inspiration and stuff like that. There's a lot of ideas you can bring to the table for trials shots that they use for other stuff, so it might liven up some of the pics people are producing :)

Yeah, I was going to get myself a slave flash, but had no idea which one, how much, and where from... Fortunately, they have a kajillion of them in the kit room in Southbank, so I'll be OK. Still kinda want to get one though...

Any hints Mr. Rob?

Well, not to sure about Canon flashguns but i'll give you an idea of mine....

I've got a Nikon Speedlight SB600 which was about £180 ish from Jessops.

Although saying that you can get the same one from Hong Kong for about £100, (didn't know that at the time)

Or I could of got the next one up (SB800) for more dollar but I knew I wouldn't really need the extra features, - head angle, more powerful etc so opted for the SB600. Do lots of research before you invest in one, I was going to get a Sigma one, glad I didn't.

Expect to pay £150+ for a decent one really. Check it's features and see if it's going to be good enough for what you want.

After you use one you realize how crap on cam flash really is :P

So much more flexibility, with bouncing off ceilings/walls etc to eliminate shadows.

Just had a little play around the house :)

IPB Image

on mine (and im sure Canons are similar) you set the flashgun to wireless mode. On the side theres a small sensor that is triggered by the pop up on camera flash. In the menu you set the flash mode to commander mode instead of TTL. This fires per flash which activates the sensor so the flashgun knows when to sync with the camera.

No wires at all

Just to throw a couple of points in here...

1) You can not buy a little slave flash thingy from Jessops and connect to the flash and expect it to work with a dSLR. This is for long, boring reasons. Those who care know my MSN address....

2) Canon do not bundle wireless flash in any of their cameras. You will either need a wireless master unit (ST-E2) or a suitable master flash unit (550, 580).

3) Optical wirelss flash, like the Canon and Nikon systems, need line of sight, and may not work at all well around corners or in bright sun. I know several pros who don't use it for these reasons.

Whats wrong with the traditional unclip the flash and hold it out with your arm whilst taking the photo with the other hand and looking like a complete fool?! :P

Works for me with my off camera cord, makes using the camera a bit tricky though. It doesn't really work though if you're trying to do with with wireless.

Before you say it Rob. I'm not gutted I bought my Sigma. It's amazing, really love it!

I've been trying to use slave / wireless flash on my camera, but I'm encountering a few problems. My friends works fine (same flash but on a D70s instead of my D50.)

What he told me to do was:

Put flash on camera, turn both on. Make sure you're in wherever you want to set up the flash stuff. Then:

Put your flash setting onto the *flash symbol* --------- *smaller flash symbol. (which I think means wireless flash :P)

Then I focus again. Take flash off. Put it close and just infront the camera, point, shoot (internal flash fires) but then external doesn't :S

I really don't get it >_<

What did you do for the picture with your beautiful kitty Rob? Looks ace (Y)

What did I do?

Set external flash to wireless mode.....go through camera menu and change flash mode to commander mode.....pop up flash and wheyyyy flash flash flash :P

Just held the gun on it's side on the carpet, lay down, focus..waittt........BAM :)