Headset Problams

Ben Geary

Well the other day i thought i would take my headset of and grease it all up, so i took it all of cleaned it all and then put fresh grease on.

Then i put it all back on etc and it just wouldnt stop clunking in the bottom cup and working loose causing play .... so i took it all apart just to check every thing was alright witch it looked fine to me, but it still carried on making clunking noises, i'm sure it's the bottom cup becuase i can see the movement comign from the bottom cup.

The top one seems fine just something with the gay bottom one.

Anyone had this problam ?

This is my headset ...

[attachmentid=3350]

post-6935-1143808343.jpg

You sure you put it all in the right way up? Maybe got some of the bearings or washer in upside down, or just stuff from the top cup in the bottom one?

Thats what I would have thought too, I know I did it with my pig and was like 'wtf is going on this is brand new' and then realising I had been a tit.

Also the thing about thightening the star nut/headlock before the stem is very important too and is often over looked.

How were the bearings themselves and the surfaces upon which they sit? all nice chamfers still? no signs of wear?

Is the headset fully in the frame? is the headtube flared? is the cup of the headset snapped off the part that goes into the frame? I don't really know what's wrong, try these, if it shows none of these, find a friend, buy him a mars bar and once he has eaten it, ask if you can borrow his headset to try in your frame, if he says no, throw it all in his face about the mars bara nd so... Hope this helped as I'm tired and it's getting late. ;) Night all...

Those fsa orbits with the needle bearing on the bottom, it's more than likely the bottom cup has cracked where the collar goes in the frame... i've done this before to many of them head sets as i used to have them under a sponsorship... if it is! at least get a pig, they take the stick..