The Old Folks And Our Silly Bikes!?

montyrider

For a about 2 years now thats how long i've been riding trials...my parents still give me grief about riding trials like Grow up, your gonna crack your head open soon, you keeping breaking your bike cause they're not meant for that etc I try to explain to them (like everytime they ask :lol:) but they still don't understand?

Does anyone here have that problem of trying to get/help the old folks to understand what we're doing?

Edited by montyrider

For a about 2 years now thats how long i've been riding trials...my parents still give me grief about riding trials like Grow up, your gonna crack your head open soon, you keeping breaking your bike cause they're not meant for that etc I try to explain to them (like everytime they ask :lol:) but they still don't understand?

Does anyone here have that problem of trying to get/help the old folks to understand what we're doing?

Some 'rents you got there man, sorry to hear that. Mine aren't unsupportive of my riding, they just don't understand what it is and why one would do it. My mum encourages me because when I ride, I don't smoke, and she doesnt like me smoking.

My dad doesn't mindaslong as i'm happy :ermm:

Do you often ask you parents for money for bike things? That could be the reason for their problems, but if it you that breaks something and you pay to fix it, they shouldn't have a problem.

Some 'rents you got there man, sorry to hear that. Mine aren't unsupportive of my riding, they just don't understand what it is and why one would do it. My mum encourages me because when I ride, I don't smoke, and she doesnt like me smoking.

My dad doesn't mindaslong as i'm happy :ermm:

Do you often ask you parents for money for bike things? That could be the reason for their problems, but if it you that breaks something and you pay to fix it, they shouldn't have a problem.

No mate im just 18, and they have never paid for anything to do with my bike and never lent me money for it, i always pay for mine own stuff like shoes and clothes. they think its all a waste of time and money and dont see the point of it all. I was once watching one of TRA's vids (Y) and my dad said "another idiot on a bike tut" my mate was their too and basically went mental at my dad for slagging us off well funny :lol::lol:

I used to have that problem, old people dont understand. I live with my Nan so i used to get it all the time and she would love it when i broke a part or injured myself as it was her point proven(well not love it as in laugh at me but you understand)

I think they now realise its keeping me out of trouble and making a lot of friends through it which is good!

Parents will never understand it

Frooty

My rents dont realy take much intrest my dad just sees the ocasnal video and says wow thats sum crazy S**t then walkes off tuting. They dont pay for my bike my dad brought me my onza t-bird 2 years ago and the only thing he has paied for was a bridge hose and a bleeding kit.

Hi, My parents are always encouraging me and my dad takes me to all the motor bike trials i want and would take me to push bike trials if i wanted.He thinks its great because most people my age are getting into trouble with smoking and drinking and i don't as i usually have trials the next day so he think it is good for me and i have made loads of new friends at trials.

Just as you're parents to go to a trial with you and let them see how much you enjoy you're self and they might have a change of heart.

As long as you are enjoying you're self just stick at it!

Allen.

My parents understand it, my Dad more than my Mum. My Dad hates it, the fact that I spend like hundreds of pounds on my bike and he spends thousands on his classic motorbikes. He says that the craftmanship is exellent but its over priced, and its a drain on my resources.

He's tried to get me to sell it so many times to buy 'something useful' and I just tell him it keeps me occupied. But the thing is, if I don't ride trials I'm sat at home moaning that I'm bored, sat on computers, drinking ect. Trials gets me out, meet new people, make something of my weekends rather then spending them in bed (although when my missus stops over the tables turn).

Trials is the thing to drag me out of bed at the weekend, wake up at 1pm and see the weathers shit....pass out again. Or know the weather is going to be good, wake up at 9am, quick maintence on the bike and piss off out riding all day, come home and then probably go to the pub...which my parents can't possibly see as being 'fun'.

My Mum is supportive...up to a point, shes always horrifed how much parts cost and shes scared that I'll end up getting arrested for something.

The thing that really annoys me though, is that my parents complain about me 'breaking parts'...they can't seem to understand the difference between a set of pads being maintence and a new set of rims being breakages...its all the same to them.

I get that alot, but come back is that, "It is meant for that because you've just spent so much money buying a TRIALS bike for me, and if it wasn't meant for TRIALS than why didn't you buy a normal bike from a catalogue.

My parents support me and the sport

They don't give me money for it but then again i don't ask.

My dad is properly involved in powerkiting so understands how much a hobby can cost, my mom doesn't un derstand this but she knows i enjoy it and is perfectly happy with it.

When they give me this type of abuse, i just tell them that it is a form of excersise and that it gets me up off of my fat ass to do something.

If that doesn't work, tell them that you enjoy doing it and that if you hurt yourself its your fault(obviously? :S ) and that they shouldn't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Tell them this and im sure you will get around them (Y)

Ryan, :D

Edited by Bike addict

My mum will buy me parts if I'm in need of it, I don't ask for a lot of parts.

Becuase I'm earning my own money, so I don't need her to.

But If I'm all out of money, and it's not too much, she'll happily buy me stuff.

Even the other day she asked if I needed anything for my bike. I didn't... But still..she just randomly asked me :S

My dad helps me out too, If I have no moeny, mum has no money, and my bike needs fixing, he'll pay.

S'all good. (Y)

EDIT: Oh yeah, neither of them really understand the sport.

Everytime my mum sees me riding, it's at the skatepark, where I'm playing about on the quarter pipe, or playing around on kerbs outside my house.

My Dad hasn't got a clue. He always asks stuff about my bike, and understands when I tell him, or just agrees wishing he'd never asked me.

My mum just doesn't get it. Full stop.

Bless 'em :rolleyes:

Edited by Dan6061

My parents new of it but didn't really get it to them it was just the same as bmxing but they new it took it serious, when i asked if they would take me to compatitons and they came along and turned out to really enjoy waching. Now are a big part of it as i could be doing allot worse things with my life.

Since i have been doing comp they now offer to buy me the odd thing for my bike and normally help pay for repairs.

jack.

My mum and dad are not bothered about me doing trials aslong as i pay for it all myself they see it as a hobbie like football which will keep me fit and out of trouble, my brother thinks its good to watch but then he says "why do you spend so much on on wheels and different bike parts, it's all about brakes and tyres?" i try to explain about bb height and all about the geo but he just goes " yeah but still all you need is good tyres" they will never learn :closedeyes:

rickyb

Edited by rickyb

hmmm.... to a certain extent they understand, they like me out the house and meeting loads of new people and stuff. but not me spending loads of money on my bike which pisses them off - my dad admires the craftmans ship and speciality of the parts however

if you saw how spec'ed up my bike is and to think i paid for that all with my papers round is amazing!!! lol

The respones to this topic are very interesting to read....it seems my parents are the only people who hate trials :angry: when i was borrowing my mates t-master this week they never said anything about how small or wierd it must of looked to them but before when i had my monty which basically they look like a bike with no seat which now i've got back they said all that stuff about having a sensible bike and that :lol:

i'm glad to here though that area parents out their backing our sport (Y)