Anodising Removal

Tony Harrison

Ok, I'd like to remove the anodising from a Planet-X BMF rim, to leave a dull bare aluminium finish. I read in some of the polishing/stripping guide threads that caustic soda is useful for this. However, the anodising on black rims is, unless I'm mistaken, usually a harder anodising than on colourful hubs, etc. So, has anyone had success removing black anodising from rims with caustic soda? I'm just checking before I buy some and have a go...

Thanks.

The BMF rims are powder coated, so Nitromors should work.

Caustic soda is the right thing to use on anodising though, any type.

ye its just like stripping super strong paint,

leave paint stripper on for about 15 mins,clean and repeat twice, should do it.

good luck..

iolo.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, Nitro Mors didn't work. It's an LMF I have, and if I'd bothered to look at the rim for myself I'd have realised it is anodised.

I got some caustic crystals - should I mix up with water as per the instructions on the packet and try wiping it on the rim? In fact, I could probably test it on the outside (bit under the tyre) of the rim...

Just mix it super strong and paint it on, then keep rubbing the paint brush over the patch you have put the soda on, eventually, many fumes later it will start to turn silver, keep repeating this method around the rim... It's never too strong imo, as long as you hose it down after using it...