Grinding Technique

I did a brand new grind on my tryall rim with new plazmatic spanish fly pads and when i do certain moves like big gaps or barely make it up a wall the rim still slips a bit... It's just not braking good. I grind fast and hard... what are some good grinding tips for good braking power?

Grind hard, ie: push the grind in tothe rim more and drag it back more with some presure to

This cut/grind the rim up more

I now do my grinds in a wheel Truning Stand, spin the wheel up, grinding disc agansit it and push in a bit and drag it back do this for about 15/20 seconds each side job done totaly even grind for athestic purpous's too

dont push on to hard though especially if you are running a cutting disk try having the disk almost at a right angle to the rim. try all rims are know to hold a shit grind though and spanish flys will also wear your grind down quicker as they are a harder compound. i would say if you go slower you'll get a harsher grind as the grinder is staying on a spot for a longer time.

Well, what i do is kind off fling the grinder down on to the rim. I wouldn't do that with an old grinder because the grinding pad sometimes breaks into 1000 pieces- not nice. Just generally hold the grinder to the rim hard, moving around the rim slowly. (Y) or just get a really strong person to do it... maybe the rock?

Chris

Hold it at 45 or 90 degre angle to the rim

When you using a powertool such as thus always use a full speed

Metal Cutting or Grinding disc. Think new Echo 06 work better with Cutting disc as to Grinding disc

I use a stand for mine

Spin wheel, pace grinder against at the desired angle

Power on

Contact

Drag back and forwards

15/20/30 seconds each side

Bit of presure pushing it into the rim

Repeat next side

This has been argued before, think the out come was 3 dead grinders as the muppet used them as there lowest speeds and pressing too hard

If you also read the manul it'll say whats best for grinding and all

We grind using the tip so it's rough good at high speed okay

When grinding someing smothe per say use the flat and high speed too

I have always found that holding the tyre out of the way and then pushing the spining grinder against the rim is the best method :P

Then again im not brilliant at getting it to brilliant... :P

(Y)(Y)

wouldnt it be better to just take the tyre off :-

In all the time i've ever ground a rim i've never taken the tyre off to do it and the worst thing i've ever done was slightly catch the tyre with the grinder so there was a little scuff mark on the outside of it.

Gyroscopic effect, oooh thats like the wind lightly blowing on it... seriously, turn it on and hold it in one hand... it doesn't do a thing. Just exercise average caution with the grinder if you're doing it one handed obviously dont grind near your other hand and dont look up at something else and carry on grinding whilst not paying attention.

It's only wimps who can't grind one handed.

Grinding should be done however the grindee feels best about it, younger users should be accompanied by or get an adult to do it for them. I in no way accept any repsonsibility for retards grinding their own arms to shit and anyone that follows my advice willingly does so at their own risk.

Try the search there is many grinding topics on there.

Clarky

Does anyone use anything besides a grinding wheel like a file or harsh sandpaper.

My rim is really smooth right now and I want some more grip but I don't have a grinder. Let me know.. (Y)

11,000 rpm is too fast unless you are really brutal. FACT

I practised on a spare koxx rim I had and nearly went through it the amount of times I practiced. Ive tried 2 grinders, mine and my dads and both are 11 k rpm

Its a wank grind

Honestly, it couldn't give grip to marmite (N) its so bad

Even mat hudson said it was bad :P

So instead I tried mine with a stone cutter. I've nearly used up the whole disc (in 1 grind) but its given me a pretty good grind. Not as I'd like but meh it holds (Y)

I used to use a file. That sort of works but tiring as f00k lol

that's how i do it:

i use an angle of 45° for a few seconds (wheel shouldn't be too fast) und after that i press pretty hard in a 90° angle for 1-2 seconds.

I tried _many different ways (speed, angle, ... ) and thats where i ended up.

bye, martin