Choosing The Right Bike For You

Rich J

Choosing the right bike is very important. If you choose a bike that is completely unsuitable then it could effect you riding in a big way and stop you getting anywhere near your full potential. So heres a guide to making sure you get the right bike for you every time.

First you need to decide on the type of riding you are going to be doing, downhill, freeride, dirt or in this case trials.

When you have done this you need to know some information about yourself. You need to consider factors like weight, height, arm length. This needs to be thought about because some bikes are weaker than others and unless you are a very smooth rider it could crack or snap. Also your general size could decide whether you ride a stock or mod. I know a 18 stone man who rides a mod but generally bigger people ride stocks smaller people ride mods. If your inbetween or undecided on what to ride have a go on both.

Once you have decided what type of bike you are going to ride its now time to start looking at the range available. There are endless styles and sizes of bikes so its best to look around. The internet is a good place to do this as you can find loads of information on the bikes such as suggested riders size. this is good because some bike wont be suitable for your riding no matter who you are.

When you have found bikes that you think are suitable go ride them any bike shop should let you try them out. Or you could try some of your mates bikes out see what you think of them.

Once you have found your bike look around prices will differ so look for offers and sales you could also look in the for sale/ wanted section on here for some amazing bargins.

When you have bought your new bike go ride and enjoy it!

Hope this helps Rich

Edited by dickj

How about you all stop being cocks?

See how the person who posted this thread has been validated. 2 out of the 3 people that posted in it are still in pre members? Go work out why you're still in pre members.

Good topic, it makes a change from...

"post a pik of ur stock/ mod"

"wht pedals shal i gt?????????"

Etc.

No it had a good basis but i think i could have been improved by actually naming the frames and what they would suit. You said "bikes such as suggested riders size" some you could have gone into once you have chosen to ride mod you could try different types of bikes and what type of riding - for example if you like short bikes and are hoping to progress in natural riding you should look at the monty range at cleanbikes or whatever

just in the topic you didnt actually have that relationship between the thread and actual bikes if that made sence

The post to be honest is pretty pointless in itself; I agree it's better then a 'how high can you sidehop' post, but all the post is saying is that mods are generally for small people and that you should use the internet and bike shops in choosing your bike.

It would be far better if the geometry of the bike was mentioned in these sorts of posts, because when this information is mentioned on Tartybikes I still don't know whether a 1065 wheel base is relatively short or long, or what difference the head angle makes to the feel of the frame.

THIS IS MY PERFECT BIKE FOR ME!

(Y)(Y)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

But i must say!

you dont have to buy a brand new bike from a shop with all standard parts.

There is the option which i have done which is to build my own!

But oviously ask people of advice on the parts you are using or going to get!

Edited by Apocalypse_reaper666