Am I To Old To Learn?

Your only as old as the woman you feel! Just make sure they're over 16.

Its never too late to learn something new, if you're feeling down about your age it'll definatly make you feel younger :) I know a guy who is in his 40s now and still rides, so by all means stick with it.

Edit: I was tampering with;

Your only as old as the woman you feel! But we can't be 12 forever. But, I'd be banned probably.

Edited by anzo

certainly not too old - i am 36 (but feel 16) enjoy my riding, even though i have no natural ability or talent. ;)

we have a new leader. any advance on 36?

On a vaguely related note, I'm told that theres a group of blokes somewhere around london who've picked up skateboards again in their mid 30s - they've called themselves Middle Age Shred - which tickled me :)

we have a new leader. any advance on 36?

On a vaguely related note, I'm told that theres a group of blokes somewhere around london who've picked up skateboards again in their mid 30s - they've called themselves Middle Age Shred - which tickled me :)

We have a man who goes down the skatepark, is 40 in 2 weeks, He can drop in and everything(skateboard btw), And he has been teaching his sons, who are about 5. There quite good considering there ages, (both father and sons...)

From Lee

your never too old for ANYTHING!!!!

im nearly up there with you. but you have just got to look on the bright side, enjoy what you do and ride for the fun and enjoyment. thats all i do and i get more pleasure out of it than winning. wow i won the brit champs last year, but that didnt mean alot to me, what meant to me more was i was able to complete sections challenge myself and have fun and a good time, winning or bringing in results was just a bonus.

im not ever going to get the chance to win the master category ever, but i will go and look at the lines that are put in and try in my own way to do the section and get through it, weather it be battling away at it or sketching my way through it, as long as im having fun i dont care, weather i have a broken arm leg or damaged ligaments. its good sometimes to be out through injury just to be able to watch others and see how the sport is always progressing.

i say you dig out the DH rig and just go for a blast of trials on that!!!!! i know i would have a bit of fun on a dh bike trying to backhop and stuff (Y):) or even get a starter trials bike and enjoy yourself.

little robbie peacocks dad is getting into it, he has been out with me a few times when i have been out helping robbie, and its good to see more "mature" people getting into it.

Waynio...........................

I think there is a feeling of "I can't do something, so I won't try" which grows and grows as you get older. Lines become more dangerous, risks become more evident, and the thought of ringing work on a Monday morning and confessing to loonying about on silly bikes and injuring yourself, so you can't do that important stuff they wanted you to fills you with dread.

However, I also think there's a damn good reason for trying anything. Heck, I can't play the saxaphone, but I wouldn't mind giving it a bash until I could play the intro to Baker Street.

The great thing about trials is that you don't need a trials bike to start doing it. You just need any old mountain bike with a low saddle and good brakes. Starting off with basics like trackstands and endo turns will give you a starting point, and once you're comfortable with those, you can then progress in private, or with a few other riders. Trials is good that you don't have to ride in front of lots of other people if you don't want to.

If you've got a bike, then why not give it a try. The first time you do a pedal kick feels great, as does realising you're in control when the bike is on the backwheel. From tiny acorns...

I wouldn't worry about the "Not having natural ability" or anything, either. When I started, I was a total pussy about everything. I didn't find it easy doing even small lines, just because I didn't know how to control my fear or whatever, so I've had to really, really work at it, and it's turned out fine :) Obviously when you get older your priorities change, and if you're in full time work or have a family and kids or whatever you can't really afford to try that 10ft drop-gap to rail if you're not 100% about it just 'cos the risk of injury would be too great, but you can have a hell of a lot of fun on a trials bike with just a few pallets or whatever, so just go for it :)

I've decided to give it another go because otherwise i'm gonna regret it in the future when i'm to old! I already know how to do the basics trackstand,manual,stoppie,pedal kick etc so it's just a case of going bigger and better and getting it dialled :teehee:

Keep your eye's peeled for an old man falling off all the time lol!

Well, if you do downhill, I'm pretty sure trials shouldn't be much of a strain. Since you've already done the basics even though it was years ago, you should find it easier to slip into the sport thn most people. Age is only a barrier if you want it to be. Unless you're 50+ and have crippling artheritus.

(Y) i agree with waynio,i am 41,have met many good riders when we have traveled around the north.all better than me but ahve always been made welcome, i'am doing it as long as i can.......in years to come i might come out on a zimmer-frame :D just do it (Y)