Trials On A 24"...

ghosts_cloak

Hey guys!

Been a while since I posted last but I have been lurking nearly every day (Y)

I have been riding trials since around last october, since I bought my Leeson fluid.

I ride semi regularly, like maybe twice a week, although with exams at the moment its more like once a week :angry:

Anyway, I find that I pretty much just ride "normal" trials if that makes sense... just hopping on pallets usually, sometime backwheeling walls and on benches, gaps etc, with only the odd manual. (The next thing on my list to learn is that thing where you jump across a gap etc to front wheel then flick to the rear :) )

So, basically I feel like Im not quite doing what my Leeson was made for... Its a lovely bike and I am comfortable on it, but Ive never tried a 26inch high bb etc trials bike. I fancy the idea of entering a trials comp at some point too (although Im really rubbish at natural at the moment!!!)

I dont think I would want to change it but I was wondering if there is anything I could do to make it more suited to the riding Im doing? At the mo I have a 80mm easton stem /riser bar combo, perhaps a longer stem or something as the 1020 wheel base seems fairly short for a 6ft 2 guy! I have tilted the bars forwards a little and that feels a little better.

I should prob mention the geo is 1020mm wheelbase, 380 chainstays, 20+ BB rise and 73/74 head angle.

Any opinions, or am I just being silly!? Apart from Tomms Leeson, before it was stolen of course, and my bike, I have never ridden any other trials bike, so Im just assuming that the long low 26" bikes would be better suited....

Cheers, and my apologies for this rather long winded post!!

Gareth

Hiya!

Right, so a longer stem. I dont think I have enough steerer tube for any more stem stackers, but I figure that a longer stem with the same rise (10 degrees) should raise bar height anyway.

How would this affect riding then? I guess it will put more weight over the front end meaning the front is harder to raise but once on the back wheel the bike will have to be steeper to compensate which would improve back wheel control, as well as giving a more "roomy cockpit"?

Thanks,

Gareth

The main problem with the long low and silver bikes is that if you "learn" how to ride on them you become what I would call a "narrow minded rider". Meaning, you will immediately become used to the hugh bb rise etc. but when you come to change your frame you wont be able to adapt. But by the sounds of things you have got the basics so this shouldnt be a problem.

Longer stem

Higher bars

Lighter gear ratio possibly?

Hiya!

Right, so a longer stem. I dont think I have enough steerer tube for any more stem stackers, but I figure that a longer stem with the same rise (10 degrees) should raise bar height anyway.

How would this affect riding then? I guess it will put more weight over the front end meaning the front is harder to raise but once on the back wheel the bike will have to be steeper to compensate which would improve back wheel control, as well as giving a more "roomy cockpit"?

Thanks,

Gareth

maybe try a higher rise stem too, that would be better. I had a lowish bar (90mm x 10 degree stem + 15mm stackers) and changed to the same amount of stackers, but with a 90mm x 25 degree stem, and for me it rode so much nicer, for trials and street :)

maybe post a picture of your bike and we can see if you can make any good componentry changes.

PICCY

Hey :)

Cheers for the replies!

I have linked to a pic of my bike (when I first got it), practically the same now, but the bars are angled forwards a little, I have a lizard skin chainstay protector, and I have a grind on the rear wheel.

I have spotted a very nice looking stem here, a Hope one. Only thing is my bars are normal sized not oversized as far as I know so so I would need new bars too.

I hope the pic helps, any more suggestions are welcome :)

Gareth

Edited by ghosts_cloak

Cool, thanks.

Right well if I get that Hope stem, 110mm, 10 degree Ill need new bars or a spacer.

So, 1: any other suggestions for a stem that takes normal sized bars, or

2: any suggestions for bars? What are those fancy trials bars like, or should I stick with regular risers? (never tried those flat trials bars)

3: Anyone know if you can get a spacer from oversized to regular handlebars (that doesnt creak!Lol)

Thanks again,

Gareth :)

Cool, thanks.

Right well if I get that Hope stem, 110mm, 10 degree Ill need new bars or a spacer.

So, 1: any other suggestions for a stem that takes normal sized bars, or

2: any suggestions for bars? What are those fancy trials bars like, or should I stick with regular risers? (never tried those flat trials bars)

3: Anyone know if you can get a spacer from oversized to regular handlebars (that doesnt creak!Lol)

Thanks again,

Gareth :)

hope stems come in normal (25.4) clamp size, if you look on crc website, the one with 31.8 next to it is oversized, they ones without isn't :)

I wouldn't recommend a flat trials bar, as they don't have much rise. stick to standards risers :)

hope stems come in normal (25.4) clamp size, if you look on crc website, the one with 31.8 next to it is oversized, they ones without isn't :)

I wouldn't recommend a flat trials bar, as they don't have much rise. stick to standards risers :)

Awesome, I didnt check CRC, I was looking on tartybikes (Y)

Im about to order 110mm 10 degree rise black Hope stem, any last minute opinions before I click checkout!? LOL!

Thanks for all the advice,

Gareth

Ordered the 110 10 degree hope stem :D

Sad perhaps but I love buying shiny new things!

Cheers guys, Ill post more often and keep you informed on how I like it!

Gareth

Ps: should have it on the bike by the end of the weekend!

pps: Should really true my front wheel before then also....

Hiya,

Yeah definately just in it for fun! LOL at the thought of making a living out of trials with my skills! :lol:

I am used to it now (felt really weird at first coming from a DH bike!) but I do feel there is something not quite right in the cockpit, we will see if the new stem helps at all (Y)

Gareth

That is quite a short bike, but I get on with my Ashton (1025) just fine and I'm fairly tall. It's more to do with what you want to do with it. If you want to learn bigger gaps and taps etc then a longer bike will undoubtedly help. It might be worth looking at a different frame perhaps? Maybe an Onza Zoot, they're a bit longer but you wouldn't have to change too many other bits on your bike (if any).

Let me know if you're selling that frame anyway ;)

But of course a longer stem is a good first thing to try :)

Hiya Tomm :)

I wouldnt get your hopes up about me selling it, I still really do like it :P But if I do decide Ill let you know!

Ill give this stem a try for a bit and see how it goes! I dont think I can justify spending this years student loan (and overdraft!) on another bike! Supposed to be getting driving lessons this year ...

I wonder when most of the major companies will have 24 inch frames out?

Gareth

It'll still feel the same, but 30mm longer.

stay with it, they are harder to ride trials moves on than uci bikes.

But they are the best allround size for the "shorter" rider in my opinion.

6 ft is pushing it.??

Edited by VillageDave

It'll still feel the same, but 30mm longer.

stay with it, they are harder to ride trials moves on than uci bikes.

But they are the best allround size for the "shorter" rider in my opinion.

6 ft is pushing it.??

Hiya, yeah Im 6ft 2! Not really a shorter rider!

I will have to try and go on a group ride in the summer (dont have any riding buddies) and maybe some kind person will let me have a hop around on a longer bike.. I do like the look of Adamants and Kots but I dont know how much of a difference it would be from my Leeson?!

Gareth

I do like the look of Adamants and Kots but I dont know how much of a difference it would be from my Leeson?!

Completely different. In terms of stock (ish) frames, you couldn't really get any more different. It's a totally different kettle of fish, and I would definitely say you need to ride one until you decide you fancy a change so drastic.

If you're in Chester and want to try a different 24" I have a 1080mm WB 24" - might be you're just too cramped on yours...

Jon

Hiya :)

Thanks for your kind offer!

I live pretty close to Chester, but for the next 7 weeks or so I am in York (uni). What make is your bike out of interest? I didnt think Leeson made over 1040 and the Zoot isnt that long?

I will PM you about your bike :)

Thanks,

Gareth