I've Been Asked To Design Some Products For Dainese

Shez.sheridan

Okay TF

Basically I had a brief interview with Dainese last week in Italy, which ended with the Design Manager asking me to create 2-3 products (of my choice) to test my ability/understanding of the company.

Now, the Design Manager was quite influenced by my interest in trials - hmm, opportunity I thought.

From my experience I find wearing a helmet/protection:

- Distracting - extra momentum i.e. helmet.

- Resrictive - cant see/move limbs properly

- Uncomfortable - too hot, poor ventilation (mainly due to low velocities involved)

- Over the top (aesthetically) - look like a t*at..

However, you feel secure & that's the main point..

For me trials is about agility, flexibility & power - I'd love to wear as much protection as a downhill rider, but I wouldn't be able to move..a back protector like daineses would be ideal, but even that is far too restrictive - imagine trying to 180 in one...you'd hardly be able to move your back.

IPB Image

Do others agree?

I'm looking to design some gear that may not offer the same amount of protection as a full downhill outfit, but something a little more minimal that compliments the nature/culture surrounding trials.

I think I will primarily orientate the products towards street as this is where I feel/have witnessed people are at their most vunerable - (usually natural involves comps - therefore people are forced by the rules to wear protection).

I'm looking to create a line of clothing that incorporates elements of protection - for example, a casual shirt with a layer of intergrated back protection - a hoodie, with an integrated unit to protect your head/back etc..

I need your views guys, all constructive comments are welcome...

Derv

Possibly less restrictive shin guards?

We all hit our shins in pretty much the same place, and all it would need is a 2" bit of plastic along the length of the shin to stop pedal impacts hurting so much.

Maybe finding a way to attach that without losing movement or annoying padding/straps?

Either way, good luck!

I think a good starting base would be shin pads what are light wearing, not bulky and again do not restrict movement would be another area to perhaps look into? when learning crankspins I destroyed my shins, however I tried various shin pads and they were just too uncomfortable and would end in having very sweaty shins after an hour or so which caused discomfort.

There is still an ongoing market for a knee/shin pad that actually feels good on your leg and one that pivots properly but doesn't keep falling down your leg. Gloves are also worth a look, you could try going toward shortening the palm of the glove to reduce the amount of excess material scrunched up while holding onto the bar. You could look at some kind of ankle brace/protector aswell, i've had a few instances where i've fractured/strained/sprained my ankles. I could think of an endless list from all this, I personally don't only ride trials either, i've got my head in pretty much everthing so if you like drop me an email or add me to msn if you want to talk more.

The shirt idea sounds really good!

Also any material you use should be rip stop sorta stuff?

I've got cloths that I'd like to wear riding but I don't because i'm worried about wrecking them from falling off or mashing trousers in the chainring. Even though i've got a bashguard, baggy jeans can still get caught up in the tyre etc and easily rip.

I think if you just design general clothes but adapted for bike riding, you'd be onto a winner.

With rip stop stylish material and all that.

I don't think things like back protectors are going to be a huge seller in trials, or things like full leg pads, it's like trying to ride in a full face helmet.

I used to wear shin pads etc while riding and it just got in the way.

I much prefer just riding in a helmet these days as:

1) it's cooler

2) Looks better, riding round town all padded up looks pretty ridiculous

3) Looser/free to move easier

So if I was you, i'd concentrate on clothes, shorts and shirt as even in the winter you can easily get warm.

Maybe a riding jacket too?

Cheers

Rob (Y)

Edited by Rob_P

So is this like rider specific clothing and protection all in one? If so please don't do a monty on us (you'e seen their team clothes right?). i wouldnt mind a helmet that isn't bulky (although that would probably offer minimal protection)

i don't think there's any need for a "trials specific" helmet (Giro have got that one all sewn up with the Xen and E2...) but i agree with:

1 - a lightweight shin guard (imagine a 661 Veggie - with the plastic strips down the front - but with an open mesh back and smaller velcro straps)

2 - similar elbow pads and re-inforced gloves

3 - padded shorts would certainly help - again, like a "diet version" of 661s Bomber shorts

I think some sort of ankle support needs to be in for trials, like the 661 one but i think thats just too bulky. Just something stable and has an equal medain in between being able to move your ankle freely but still having the monovourablity(sp :ermm: ) for trials.

a hoodie, with an integrated unit to protect your head/back etc..

May well work, but you would seriosuly need to design it well. Its all very well having head protection when you have the hood up... but what about when you are just riding along casually and dont want the hood up? Surely the hood would have to be rigid enough to be a dubbed a 'helmet'

Perhaps a fold away design that folds into itself like those baby prams that fold back so the baby can see out etc, for example. :unsure: just an idea.

Shinpads that are basically an exo-skeleton for your shin bone? You don't need to have a big f**k-off wrap of neoprene and plastic around your leg when you're going to be getting hit by a 4"+ wide pedal. If it was a criss-cross pattern, similar to the attachment pic, it'd deflect the pedal, but still be super lightweight, flexible if made of the right material, and be very well ventilated 'cos it'd just be strips of material? Have it so it wraps around and joins at the back or something... I dunno, your the designer :P But all I was thinking was that with a lot of shin-pad designs, it's basically (think 661 Veggie Shin Wraps) just strips of hardened armour gonig lengthways down the shin-bone, and then a big wrap. For DH, this is fine, but in trials when you're generally being twatted end-on by something, it's bit OTT. The lack of speed and therefore lack of wind/breeze means that it's going to get well hot well quickly, so it should be amaaaaaazing :P

[attachmentid=5398]

Trousers with toughened knee areas (on the inside, but not in a restrictive way - just tougher panels on the knee, with maybe some patella protection? Just padding...), and a reinforced/well-cut ankle bit on the right side (and maybe left to make it look symmetrical?) so it won't get raped by FFW - all good.

Good work with pretty much living your dream as well :)

post-91-1150409859_thumb.jpg

(just as a point, i wear my 661 Veggies for freeride/dh/urban and soon trials too in temps in the high 90s and while my calfs are sweaty afterwards, they're hardly "uncomfortable" - 661 4x4s are uncomfortable, half the time i can't even feel my Veggies, but it's all personal i guess!)

Just thought I'd add something that can help you: some new technology just appearing on the market is nano particles in a suitable solvent, they harden almost instantly when hit, but are normally fluid, could help for a back protector. (Y)

a hoodie would be too hot for riding but in winter it would be good, maybe a t-shirt with pdadded backing

thanks

John K

This is kinda where I was going with the idea of a range..it's most basic being just a simple t-shirt with a pattern on the back forming some degree of spinal/back protection.

Surely the hood would have to be rigid enough to be a dubbed a 'helmet'

Perhaps a fold away design that folds into itself like those baby prams that fold back so the baby can see out etc, for example. :unsure: just an idea.

I like the 'pram' analogy - I'm looking into new materials/processes etc to try & reduce the 'helmet' volume as much as I can, possibly using flexible materials, that perform like rigid materials inder impact. To be honest though, I don't know if the final result will be an integrated helmet - I just view my starting point as 'head protection', so it could take a different form - I just see riders using no protection, a cap, a hoody; all the time. I'd like to offer them 'something that's better than nothing', a solution that is a compromise..

it'd deflect the pedal, but still be super lightweight, flexible if made of the right material, and be very well ventilated 'cos it'd just be strips of material...in trials when you're generally being twatted end-on by something, it's bit OTT.

I agree totally, I think it may not be the main focus of my initial concept, as I'm still feeling that apart from head protection; spinal protection is most vital, yet largely overlooked - and may be my primary focus for now; but the shin pads may definately be another idea I could start to follow/suggest as I personally hate most kinds of padding/protection - most designs/products in my opinion at least, are borrowed from other disciplines; feeling a little out of context in trials. Ventilated helmet designs are great, if your moving, but in trials you're not really. I sweat just as much in my ventilated Giro helmet as I did my 'piss-pot'.

Just thought I'd add something that can help you: some new technology just appearing on the market is nano particles in a suitable solvent, they harden almost instantly when hit, but are normally fluid, could help for a back protector. (Y)

There are some materials that I have been researching with these properties - under normal circumstances flexible, but become rigid upon the moment of impact & then return to their original state.

We also had a presentation recently in work on some other materials, some of which may be helpful...I hope..lol

Cheers guys 'n' gals, keep it coming..

What kind of testing will these things be going under? the reason i ask is because giving someone the spinal protection.. could very well be giving a false sense of security.Not knocking the ideas its just its a very important part to be protecting and if some kid falls and snaps his spine all eyes are going to be on your company.

And remember that most tees and hoodies are worn fairly baggy/loose, so any protection will have to take this into account.

It's all well and good having a really effective ergonomic spine guard, but you gotta make sure its at your spine...

(as in not swinging off to the side - grab one side of your t-shirt and pull it round to the front of you, kinda explains what I was getting at a bit more...)

;)