Rear V Break

Whiteboy

after reading this im very tempted to use v brake lol

im sorry but can i just use this thread for a bit? hehe

can someone give me a list of what parts i should get for a whole set up for front and back vees. ranging from the cheapest to the dearest. i would appreciate it

thanks very much

JK

check ebay and try to get some shimano dx calipers, they are SUPER stiff, not as good bushings as an avid ultimate (as they are on bearings) so there is a bit of wobble, but the stiffness more than makes up for it.

I prefer avid levers due to the speed dial adjuster, but many people just run levers on the furthest out setting (for stiffer lever feel) in that case shimano levers are fine, just choose one depending on your budget

nokon cable are good (super stiff) but I dont think the price justifies them, I tried Adam Reads old vee and that was the best brake I have ever felt, that just had bog standard cable if I am correct.

how long does a nokon cable last or any other cable last before it snaps and has anyone had an accident when i brake cable snaps?

JK

I've never had a brake cable totally snap on me while riding (i.e. instantaneously). Usually they go a few strands at a time, which you start notice in the feel of the brake (starts feeling ridiculously spongey), so you can usually catch it before it gets bad.

Having said that I've only ever snapped 2 brake cables in however many years I've been riding. One through my own idiocy when I fitted it in the first place, and the second because it was cheap nasty crap.

Avid SD7 front calipers (mounted on t' rear) + sink reds are a good budget option IMO.

Bin the pads that come with the SD7s though. Maybe useful as a toothpick.

lol, I dont get called a kid often these days, what with having a beard and all!

haha

But if people want good pads on their vee brake, they should buy the new BT adaptors and put some koxx reds in them... Its a winner!

OR, do it the hard way and boil the pads and put them in plaz/heatsink alu backings...

SS

I made some adapters for mag pads a few years ago.. Also, they are avaliable as generic catalogue parts for cheap, can't remember where I saw them, in some post on OTN some time ago, with someone discovering the 'Echo' pads in a catalogue.. I'm sure those BT ones are catalogue parts, or they would mill them and write BT CNC FOR YES on them.

got my sink adapters and pads today and my brake is wickid, easilly as good as a magura on hold just doesnt have the same bite, and i have a few flat spots in my rim wo brake gets spongey in some points of the rim.

next day delivary which was owseomly quick, and all the stuff seems to be made to such a high quality, pads are wickid, sooo stiff. just nice to have a break that doesnt roll!!!!!

anyway heres some piccys,

IPB Image

IPB Image

cheers

and my brake is wickid, easilly as good as a magura on hold just doesnt have the same bite

So, what was the point in switching then?

Im actually all for Vee's, i want some myself, but if they are only just as good as a magura, then why bother?

the majority of v's arent made out of cheese metal, so the levers and stuff will take a bit more of a knocking, v brake levers feel soooooo much nicer than maggy ones i find, easier to setup, generally fit and forget, obviously the odd cable change and adjusting the pads on the odd occasion to make sure they are hitting flat is necessary, but its not something you have to do frequently like alot of people make out :rolleyes: if anything does shit the bed on a v brake setup, you can easily get spares from any lbs, unlike with maguras which is always nice as it doesnt totally ruin a ride :) i think v's are more powerful too, only the tiniest bit, but still its noticeable-of course others will disagree

i *think* v brakes are marginally lighter too :P

there is no advantage, cos xtrs are shite :P keep the deore or get an ultimate-theres not much point in getting anyhting else in my experience (sd7s are superb but dont have much over deores like an ultimate does)

arms make a difference-the stiffness of the brake, the quality of the bushings/bearings in an ultimates case and this all of course alters the feel of the brake-smoothness, rm wobble, stuff like that

then theres parrallel push to be taken into account, its shit-the linkages wear out and become wobbly and this all makes the brake feel gash and work badly-keep with normal arms :)

ok, I went for it.....Ali C has a rear v (again)

I am sure martyn would prefer better results than me using a maggie.

right, time for a little review....

setup:

avid sd7 lever, cheap cable from lbs, cheap inner, avid ultimate arms, bonz adaptors and iolo pads.

I tried nokon cable, but it wasnt as smooth as the cheaper stuff.

Feel:

much easier to pull than a maggie, thats the advantage of being able to adjust the springs yourself. I get lots of arm pump in comps from pulling against the strongre spring in a maggie, with the vee, a big load has been taken off my finger and from the 10 hours I have spent at my secret quarry the last two days has helped with arm pump.

With the avid lever, I can adjust the lever feel with the speed dial adjuster. With it adjusted in the furthest out setting the brake is VERY stiff, almost a wooden feeling (much stiffer than anyones maggie I have felt)

With it adjusted to the closest to the pivot, the lever will pull quite far once the pads touch. probably far to much squidge for most people, but its definatley usable....a booster would help I think as I can see the stays flexing.

performance:

GOOD

ok, you want more than that right?

I have a ground rim and the brake makes a reet nice honk, the bite is very good, simular to a well set up maggie with a sharp grind.

now then, the best bit......this brake has got the best hold of any brake I have ever owned! just get the bike on the ege of somthing and it will not slip, only the tyre limits what you can do, its amazing.

I reccomed v brakes

ok, I went for it.....Ali C has a rear v (again)

I am sure martyn would prefer better results than me using a maggie.

right, time for a little review....

setup:

avid sd7 lever, cheap cable from lbs, cheap inner, avid ultimate arms, bonz adaptors and iolo pads.

I tried nokon cable, but it wasnt as smooth as the cheaper stuff.

Feel:

much easier to pull than a maggie, thats the advantage of being able to adjust the springs yourself. I get lots of arm pump in comps from pulling against the strongre spring in a maggie, with the vee, a big load has been taken off my finger and from the 10 hours I have spent at my secret quarry the last two days has helped with arm pump.

With the avid lever, I can adjust the lever feel with the speed dial adjuster. With it adjusted in the furthest out setting the brake is VERY stiff, almost a wooden feeling (much stiffer than anyones maggie I have felt)

With it adjusted to the closest to the pivot, the lever will pull quite far once the pads touch. probably far to much squidge for most people, but its definatley usable....a booster would help I think as I can see the stays flexing.

performance:

GOOD

ok, you want more than that right?

I have a ground rim and the brake makes a reet nice honk, the bite is very good, simular to a well set up maggie with a sharp grind.

now then, the best bit......this brake has got the best hold of any brake I have ever owned! just get the bike on the ege of somthing and it will not slip, only the tyre limits what you can do, its amazing.

I reccomed v brakes

^- agreed with all of that except the hold, but I'm pretty sure that's down to the amount of crap that's built up on my pads, they held like a...something that holds well when I first put 'em on. (Heatsink reds, btw)

Feel:

This is why I like vee brakes! The vast majority of maguras just feel awful to me (even with water bleeds) and my vee is just easier to pull.

I run an xt lever(xtr soon), ultimate arms, odyessy cable, xtr carbon booster and heatsink red pads (gonna be try koxx browns soon too) - it is was so stiff, but my wheel is dying so now there is the tinyest bit of flex in it, still awesome though :)

On the front i have a knackered sd7 lever and deore arms and it pretty damn good.

you need to try a good vee and realise its non gayness ;)

right thats it ali. lets take this outside....................if im not there in five minutes, start without me.

my serious bit is that actually i dont like the feel of v's not sure why. and i cant trust one at all. i dont suffer from arm pump so much as i set my maguras up with lots of pull! personal preference and all that i suppose eh :).

anyway ali, ur a natty boy, sure u have arm pump alot more than i ever will but i just feel maguras are the way forward. have been for a long time.

most the young een's just get v's cos you pros have them and they think its way forward

MAGURA > water bleed > coustsinks > cnc backings > standard hosing = no problem

well lilttle update... bought some brand new avid sd5 callipers over day for chaep, and wow break is awesome, so loud now, and hold and bite is easily if not better than a magura, thing i found with a magura is that beacause the pads "clip" in the pad rolls slightly which means when land on the edge of something the pad will roll leading the brake to slip, as vees are fixed pads=no pad roll which imo makes the break hole hell of a lot bettter, so im sooooo happy with my vee now, also alot stiffer i find than my maggie even witout a booster on the vee, and cause of the oddsey cable no cable flex either, workin top notch cant really see myself changing back to a magura now!!

cheers

Edited by Whiteboy