Zoo Pitbull - No Tensioner Required

Tall_Rob

[attachmentid=5786]Hello fellow zoo pitbull riders!

Nifty little trick if your running 22T front and 20T on the rear.

I'm using a standard Kool chain.

I got a bit miffed when i kept landing on the mech hanger. I took out a couple of links to get it tighter and higher up in to the frame when i found out i didn't need to run a tensioner.

To remove the chain or wheel you just have to loosen it and push it forward in to the frame slightly.

I'm guessing someone else has probably done something similar but this is how i did it with my frame.

I've been running this now for 3 months and haven't had a single problem and it's always got perfect tension. Just waiting for the chain to stretch now.

I'm working one a mini bash plate for the rear gear incase i ever land on it so will keep you guys updated if a make it and how it works.

Cheers, Rob Larkins

Two problems with that:

1. You're the only person in the world who runs that gear :P

2. When you land to bash, the chain won't have any give it in 'cos you aren't running a tensioner of any kind, so it'll hit the chain and possibly do some damage to some element of your drive-train.

Good work for getting it like that, but just be careful (Y) That should theoretically work for anyone running 20:18 or 22:18 too... or 16:14...

Two problems with that:

1. You're the only person in the world who runs that gear :P

2. When you land to bash, the chain won't have any give it in 'cos you aren't running a tensioner of any kind, so it'll hit the chain and possibly do some damage to some element of your drive-train.

Good work for getting it like that, but just be careful (Y)

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind.

So basically, the tensioner obviously tensions the chain but also allows for movement in the frame and as you've said, if i hit the bash.

I'm gonna leave it like this for a while longer but i may start asving for one of those ober good tensioners. Just hope i don't break it.

Thanks, Rob

Thats exactly what ive done with my pitbull. When i got my new kmc chain, it just kept slippin when i ran it with my tensioner on, so i took the tensioner of and it worked :)

Ive been running it like that since christmas and ive had no problems with it, never slips at all (Y) However the chain is starting to become slack now and is starting to loose its tension, so i may need to put a tensoiner on soon :- but other than that its been perfect!

I was running 22:18 at one point. It was great for getting up stuff but i was getting no really static power. I had a go on my friends bike and he was using 20:18 and the whole feel of the bike was really flicky and i couldn't control it but i soon upgraded my 22:18 to 22:20. Imuch prefer it but finding that i'm having to use massive bunnyhops to get up stuff. Still practising front wheel taps to get my height though. I may get proper gears one day, who knows how i might progress.

Cheers for all the comments guys,

Rob Larkins

I was running 22:18 at one point. It was great for getting up stuff but i was getting no really static power. I had a go on my friends bike and he was using 20:18 and the whole feel of the bike was really flicky and i couldn't control it but i soon upgraded my 22:18 to 22:20. Imuch prefer it but finding that i'm having to use massive bunnyhops to get up stuff. Still practising front wheel taps to get my height though. I may get proper gears one day, who knows how i might progress.

Cheers for all the comments guys,

Rob Larkins

i used to use 22:19.. the perfect gear

I think that's a mod rider's saying. On a stock you can't really land on the chain if you try, because the wheels are bigger and all that ;)

rob has the longest legs i've ever seen in the flesh.

Why thanks Mr Staples. They are rather long aren't they.

Got my legs even more mashed up since the last time you saw them.

The one you took photage of won't heal. It keeps getting infected and my dog keeps licking it (not my balls i may add).

I'll try and get a photo up of the damage.

Rob Larkins

I used to run 18-18...

Now I run 18-16, was that in the list above? Cos I'm very sure that don't work for me...

Which chain-tool do you need with a kmc?

Nathan :)

It may just be because of the size gears i'm running. They just happen to fit perfectly with that many links in the chain. I may be sad enough to count the amount of links i'm using (i'll have to be very bored though).

You can use any normal chain tool with the kmc and they come with a split link as standard.

Rob Larkins

When you land to bash, the chain won't have any give it in 'cos you aren't running a tensioner of any kind, so it'll hit the chain and possibly do some damage to some element of your drive-train.

But mods don't have that problem. :huh: Or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Can I also be the first to point out, you say that you're annoyed about landing on your mech hanger yet you've still got it in the frame? :P

Well it's got to be there really so that you can attach the wheel. Unless i take it off and replace it with one of the broken ones, but those silly 'K' mech hangers bend and wharp like butter in the sun. The broken ones don't really work anymore. They're a hard fit.