Wear Your f**king Helmet.

Mr_Pitbull

My helmet didn't stop me breaking my nose and nearly fracturing my eye socket and the bone just above my front teeth, in the same way that a helmet would've done bugger all for him.

When will TF people finally learn that wearing a helmet won't somehow protect you from any badness in the world...

Either way, harsh crash. Saw it on streetphire a few days ago. I have no idea how he came down so hard from that...

According to the thread about that guy who broke his neck and unfortunately died, helmets can protect you from that. They can also apparently protect your internal organs from damage and stop internal bleeding. So that thread said.

f**king HELL

if he like almost dies from doing that crappy little grind,

what the hells going to happen to us lads when we gap off like 10foot walls onto rails and it goes wrong.

I just had a brief reality check on how dangerous trials is! :(

Trials in a full face is pretty much impossible. I jokingly wore a DHer friend's full face to backwheel a wall once, and you pedal up to it, kick up, then the wall just disappears behind the chin-piece, leaving you with no idea where to plant the back wheel...

Trials in a full face is pretty much impossible. I jokingly wore a DHer friend's full face to backwheel a wall once, and you pedal up to it, kick up, then the wall just disappears behind the chin-piece, leaving you with no idea where to plant the back wheel...

I know, it's just a shame it does. I love trials but i don't fancy death, that videos really shook me up!

A friend of mine who i ride bmx with wasn't wearing his helmet and he did a huge superman seat grab over the old 6ft spine at epic skatepark, and he crashed on his head.

He went home feeling a bit dizzy but not to bad.

The next morning he woke up and went to get something from his fridge and he just collapsed and he stopped breathing.

When the ambulance got there his heart had stopped, but they gave him some adrenaline and managed to resuscitate him.

He is fine now (3years on) and has R.I.P. written on the back of his helmet as a reminder for him to never ride without it.

I have always ridden with a helmet and i have cracked 3 landing on my head, and one time knocking myself out and that time i would be dead for sure because of the speed i hit.

Edited by spangler

Maybe a helmet could have made a difference. A helmet does cover the best part of your forhead. It could have taken alot of the impact out of that headplant, and might not have hurt himself as much.

You can argue every time you see a crash "it wouldn't have made a difference wether he was wearing a helmet or not", but that just seems to me that your giving the impression that wearing a helmet isn't as important as it apears to be.

A helmet wouldn't have helped him there, JT. Seriously. I was wearing a helmet with a peak, and proper forehead sorta bit, and I still smashed the f**k out of myself. It's most likely he'd have been wearing a pisspot, which do have less material up front than MTB helmets do (like the one I was wearing). He would've broken his nose regardless of whether he'd been suited and booted or not, it's just the way faceplants go, not to mention for it to have actually done anything there it would've had to have been perfectly set up so it wouldn't just slip back, and very, very few people wear their helmet exactly right whenever they ride.

EDIT: To give you an idea, whilst wearing my helmet, the scar I got from where I hit my face goes above 7mm above my eyebrow or so, so he'd still have been in eye-socket-fracturing area even with one on.

A helmet wouldn't have helped him there, JT. Seriously. I was wearing a helmet with a peak, and proper forehead sorta bit, and I still smashed the f**k out of myself. It's most likely he'd have been wearing a pisspot, which do have less material up front than MTB helmets do (like the one I was wearing). He would've broken his nose regardless of whether he'd been suited and booted or not, it's just the way faceplants go, not to mention for it to have actually done anything there it would've had to have been perfectly set up so it wouldn't just slip back, and very, very few people wear their helmet exactly right whenever they ride.

EDIT: To give you an idea, whilst wearing my helmet, the scar I got from where I hit my face goes above 7mm above my eyebrow or so, so he'd still have been in eye-socket-fracturing area even with one on.

He wouldn't have been knocked out with a helmet though? Plus the damage to his eye socket wouldn't have been so bad.

He wouldn't have been knocked out with a helmet though? Plus the damage to his eye socket wouldn't have been so bad.

Like I said in my post. I managed to hit my eye socket with my helmet on. That was with a peak, which apparently try and help stop things like that. You can also be knocked out without hitting the main part of your skull (which a helmet would cover), and seeing as it looked like he proper twatted himself around the nose/face region, he may have been knocked out anyway. Helmets don't protect you where they aren't covering you.

I hit my nose/eyesocket. He hit his nose/eyesocket.

I was wearing a helmet. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

We both hit in the same place.

Like I said in my post. I managed to hit my eye socket with my helmet on. That was with a peak, which apparently try and help stop things like that. You can also be knocked out without hitting the main part of your skull (which a helmet would cover), and seeing as it looked like he proper twatted himself around the nose/face region, he may have been knocked out anyway. Helmets don't protect you where they aren't covering you.

Think how much worse it could have been without a helmet thou.

All that says is that you were unlucky and he was lucky.

If you'd both landed an inch or two further up your head you'd probably have walked out with no injuries and he'd probably have done himself worse than a broken nose and a headache.

The point of a lid is that it protects the vital bits. Eyesockets and noses are crumple zones like on cars, it doesn't really matter if you smash them up a bit, most of the important stuff is quite a long way from there. Landing on the back or top of your head is potentially a lot more serious as you're a mattter of millimetres from the squahy bit in places.