Sidehop Help

_CRED_

I ride with my right foot forward and I sidehop to the right. Because of this I cannot couch very well when I land on the wall becuse my foot is in the way. Is it worth learning to sidehop to the left or will I always be better to my natural side?

I have been riding for two years and can sidehop about 38"

Hope that made sense :S

Edited by _CRED_

yeah i have been riding for near enough the same time as you, i sidehop with my strong foot on the outside now which i now consider to be more comfortable. When i used to sidehop with my strong foot on the inside i was managing about 38/39" sidehops, now that i have changed my style i am now sidehopping in the early 40's. To start off it will feel strange because your body positioning and body movement wont feel as natural as going with your strong foot on the inside, but once you get the hang of it you will find yourself doing sidehops more comfortably, hopefully higher and in my case with more style aswell. (Y)

Edited by trialsboy_06

I say it would be good to be able to go to either side, so maybe you should learn to do it to the left as well, but don't stop doing it to the right. That way you will have a sidehop for any situation! And probably just more bike control in general.

You should always side hop the opposite side of your kicking foot...eg if your right footed, you should side hop to your left, and if your left footed you should side hop to your right.

This is because the foot you dont kick with catches you when you slip down

I'm left foot forward and started hopping to my right, untill i nearly snapped my mech. So I am just starting to try and learn side hops to my left, they both feel the same so im learning pretty well.

The only advantage i can see to hopping both ways is to save mech's on the right and disc's on the left. But if you ride mod theres no point learning both ways if you allready go to the right.

I'm left foot forward and started hopping to my right, untill i nearly snapped my mech. So I am just starting to try and learn side hops to my left, they both feel the same so im learning pretty well.

The only advantage i can see to hopping both ways is to save mech's on the right and disc's on the left. But if you ride mod theres no point learning both ways if you allready go to the right.

Unless of course you want to ride comps, ever.

My advice would be to make yourself sidehop to the left because you can get a better tuck.

I am right footed and i used to sidehop to the right but i got told by a friend that i was sidehopping the wrong way so i learned how to sidehop the right way and now i am doing a lot higher. :)

ryno (Y)

hmmm

me and a friend are both right foot forward and i sidehop to backwheel to the left

and he sidehops to front wheel to the right.(both about 40')

Sorry - i think i've just made this more confusing!

Before anyone has a go i'm learning to go to the front wheel,

or at least trying.

Edited by super

I'm left foot forward and sidehop to the left.I did consider learning to sidehop the other way but never really have. I suppose if you really feel like you are at a disadvantage and it is holding you back then ye, i would try and learn to sidehop the other way, as obviously you will then benefit from it.

Like it has been said if you look at Neil Tunnicliffe who sidehops "the wrong way", it doesn't hold him back. It is one of them tricks that when you first learn you don't think or understand which way is better, so end up learning to do it the harder way (like myself). But it's more a matter of what suites you, but most people do and will find it easier doing it the right way (opposite side to your leading foot).

I think it is one of those things that don't really matter, unless you are going for them extra few inches or to be able to tuck in further, which is fair enough. It may be a bit harder to sidehop to your leading foot, but it certainly can be done just as well as opposite foot, if the technique is right (like Neil Tunnicliffe).

I am normaly when not on a bike right footed, but when I am on a bike the foot I always have forwards is my left :blink: I also Side Hop to the left but I can't do it at all to my right, feels so damm strange! I'd like to be able to do it both ways.

It's werid, when I'm doing dirt jump I am better at going around a burm clockwise than anti-clockwise to!

I ride right foot forward and sidehop right - it's just a case of getting the feel of them, really. Think my highest one is 48" - there or thereabouts - but either way, like people have already said, Tunni seems to own at sidehops, and he does 'em good foot side so it's not the end of the world. The only reason people seem to give for not doing it to your good side is 'cos the pedal won't catch if you miss or something like that, but I've found that I usually step off 'cos I can feel it going wrong, or it'll just go to crank arm/stay. Not like it's a problem either way, just get off, then do it right next time :P

Thanks everyone for your comments (Y)

For the last few days I have been learning to sidehop to the left and I can get about 2 inches higher.

In the process of learning I have got my foot stuck on a wall and scratched my quick release, my hope caliper, the top tube on my frame and I have been over the bars because I didn't get my front wheel high enough :angry:

But it was worth it :) I feel a lot more comfortable hopping to the left. :D

Edited by _CRED_