Avid Arch Rival V Brake

Saracen Kid

bacily iam going to run v brakes not maggies (easyer to matain etc) but need advise on what v combo to get so is a arch rival a good brake? if not which to buy?

thanks all (Y)

ps which is better to buy a echo pure 4 bolt (and buy a heasink adaptor) or just buy a echo pure v mount? (Y)

pps can some one post a pic of there echo pure with vee brakes

Edited by t-pro kid

hey m8 defo get soem maggies i use maggies and iv had them for 2 years and never had to bleed or refill but my m8 uses the avid brakes with avid leavers and he is always snapping cables because they are so powerfull if u treat the maggies well enough they last for eeevvvveeerrrrrr!!!!!

hope this helps :)(Y)

vee brakes rock!!!! They are really good brakes, I used them to get a lot of good comp results this year (including a world champ round win!) so they cant be bad!

people who say maggies just havnt tried a vee, or if they have they havnt tried a good vee.

Everyone sees my bike has a vee and they automaticly think its bad, but everyone has said its nice when they tried it.

so if you havnt tried a good vee, dont knock them!

vee brakes rock!!!! They are really good brakes, I used them to get a lot of good comp results this year (including a world champ round win!) so they cant be bad!

people who say maggies just havnt tried a vee, or if they have they havnt tried a good vee.

Everyone sees my bike has a vee and they automaticly think its bad, but everyone has said its nice when they tried it.

what ali said....

but get sd7 or sd5 (or ultimates if you can afford them) over arch rivals, the parrellel push linkage will probs go wobbly.

vee brake mafia *** :turned:

i have avid arch rival 40s on my now redundant 20" the levers are the ones were you can adjust them just like maggies and i must say with a sliver of tar on the rim the difference between them and my 33s was to small to notice.

hope this has hepled.

im running a set of tektro calipers, avid levers and fibrax pads, and yes, these are some pretty cheap products, but after spending a fair amount of time setting them up, they've needed next to no maintenance, lock really well, and only slip a wee teency bit if u land on the backwheel with a LOT of backwards momentum. They're pretty damn light too and work just as well as my mate's stock hs33s.

ive ridden the arch rivals on my riding buddy's mtb. for mountain biking they are probly the best vees.

however, they have no way near the power of maggies and they will slip alot when you put lots of pressure on them ( e.g. backhops).

As far as vees go the avid's are some of the best but trust me they're not designed, or for that matter any good, as trials brakes :( .

maggies are worth the effort (Y)

what vee brakes do you use mate??? thanks tyler

avid ultimates (Y)

"As far as vees go the avid's are some of the best but trust me they're not designed, or for that matter any good, as trials brakes."

Avid arch rivals arnt the best brakes for trials, but any of avids other models make MINT brakes for trials.

I bet you any amount of money my brake is more powerful than yours!! :turned:

Avid ultimate , fibrax pads sanded down , xtr lever, oddessey linear cable and a clean smooth rim then you've got the ultimate v-brake :P

but avid arch rivals are again very good brakes as my brother has them on his ali bongo and they have never failed him, if they are set up correctly (Y)

Edited by jason@mbedge

ive ridden the arch rivals on my riding buddy's mtb. for mountain biking they are probly the best vees.

however, they have no way near the power of maggies and they will slip alot when you put lots of pressure on them ( e.g. backhops).

As far as vees go the avid's are some of the best but trust me they're not designed, or for that matter any good, as trials brakes :( .

maggies are worth the effort (Y)

maguras are xc brakes...

and i backhop with my vee's ... run standard pads and yes they won't hold which is EXACTLY like magura and shock shock horror oh my god i can't believe it what that coming over the hill put trials specific pads on with a grind and they will hold better and won't feel horrid

winner

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

had a go on 3 bikes with maguras today (when I got a puncture), each rider likes how their brake works....

....I thought they were all waaay under powered!!! I was slipping all over the place, plus they were a lot harder to pull than my vee and I got arm pump really quick.

Makes me love vees even more!

*editied as I said maggie instead of vee

had a go on 3 bikes with maguras today (when I got a puncture), each rider likes how their brake works....

....I thought they were all waaay under powered!!! I was slipping all over the place, plus they were a lot harder to pull than my maggie and I got arm pump really quick.

Makes me love vees even more!

lol :lol:

ps are they any better v brakes? if not where you get ulitmits from?

Edited by t-pro kid

avid speed dial 5!!! i have had mine since i started trials and have never had a problem with them. and now you can get those onza adaptor things (allow maggie pads to be put on vees) they are as good as if not better than maggies. my mate has those maggie adaptors fro v mounts n he has had nothing but trouble with them, they are a right b*tch to set up and always break!! :S

vees are the way forward!! :lol:

There's no argueing with a well set up vee IMO.

But to really kill any squidgy-ness try running them through a BMX linear outer casing with a squirt of medium weight oil through it.

edit: Use full length outer! No dirt gets in & you can use your hose guides,

Edited by darrenhopper