Injury Advice

physio

Not worried or anything..but when i like..twist my right ankle..it clicks.. :ermm:

Does anyone elses? Or is mine just weird... :P

If i've been sitting still for a while (like 20 mins) most of the time when i stand up and walk both of my ankles click for the first 20 odd steps! it's odd, same with me, i'm not worried, but if it's something to worry about can we get some advice please, on the basis that the quicker we get it sorted the better it will turn out.

I'm not sure if this is what this thread is for but i'll give it a go.

Today i was riding with a mate and i was going down some steps doing small pedal kicks and 2nd step my brake slipped and obviously you fall on your arse, and hurt the lower part of your spine, what can be done to help this heal quicker? and is there any special precautions i should take, it hurts, i also broke the step LMAO and it was a church, but my religious friend has confirmed that god will not smite me for damaging holy ground or something... Also got some minor scratches and its abit tender as if a bruise was there, but thats nothing to worry about as far as i know.

What church did you damage Glen? I'll be in touch with the vicar and get you banned.

Happy riding!

IPB Image

Thats was mine around a week after doing it. Id deffo say a grade 3 (Y) cant even see my ankle bone. The cut that looks like a circle is where it rolled so far under me the bone pressed to the skin on the ground and cut it open was a puncture.

IPB Image

That was my other ankle after a small roll, bruised under the ankle bone.

i did that to my ankle aswell it was so sore probs grade 3 i was pretty much k.o.'d after i did it with the pain. i thought it was just a really bad sprain so i did'nt go to the doctor with it until about 4 days after i did it but during that four days my foot swelled up massive nearly twice it's normal width and i could'nt walk i had red lines running up the tendons aswell it looked really cool but was so sore. as for my knees i've never really hurt them to bad but i've got osgoodslatters so my knees are permanently sore anyway

What church did you damage Glen? I'll be in touch with the vicar and get you banned.

HappyPainful riding!

The one in WW, it's the one that you can get to the pool by going down an alley thing then going down the road parralell to the car park... if you get what i'm saying. But prove it :P, i feel bad now, 'cos some poor christian today is going to probably fall down it. I am actually worried about that. Don't think there was any CCTV but it was a f**king hard fall.

Im worried! I rode about 2 and a half hours this afternoon. I just went out for a 15 min ride out on the road in the intention of knackering myself out.

I started feeling dizzy like I was properly drunk and felt really weird inside. I was wearing adequate clothing and have drunken/eaten enough. When I got a drink upon coming in I couldn't hold my hand still atall. And Im completely drenched in sweat which is weird as it wouldn't normally happen in 15 mins.

:ermm:

Phil

Im worried! I rode about 2 and a half hours this afternoon. I just went out for a 15 min ride out on the road in the intention of knackering myself out.

I started feeling dizzy like I was properly drunk and felt really weird inside. I was wearing adequate clothing and have drunken/eaten enough. When I got a drink upon coming in I couldn't hold my hand still atall. And Im completely drenched in sweat which is weird as it wouldn't normally happen in 15 mins.

:ermm:

Phil

Phils in lurrrvvveeee :P.

You've just probably over done yourself.

Not worried or anything..but when i like..twist my right ankle..it clicks.. :ermm:

Does anyone elses? Or is mine just weird... :P

ok clicking is an interesting one, if you have sprained your ankle and sustaiuned ligament damage then the clicking could be a result of joint instability due to the ligs not holding the ankle structure together adequately enough (ligaments basically hold bone to bone)

if, however you have never injured the joint and it still clicks then it could be a combination of a couple of things

- if you are still in teens then you do have slightly more flexible ligaments as you are generally more bendy. so therefore the joint may open up and you get very small air pockets in the synovial fluid in the joint (like engine oil for joints) then the clicks are the air pockets popping like bubblewrap)

generally put down to either nitrogen in the joint capsule or that it is just the ends of

the two bones snapping across each other (kinda like clicking your fingers)

AS LONG AS THE ANKLES DONT HURT WHEN THEY CLICK!!!

this will be a different problem

Hey, I thought I'd post the injury that made me quit riding years back, and the injury I still have as the NHS insist there's nothing wrong with my shoulder! I think I found the injury on Google under A/C separation, and it was caused after flying over the bars and landing with my neck/left shoulder first causing a whole lot of pain, an odd looking bony lump, and a fairly weak left upper body. Any help with diagnosis / rehabilitation exercises would be great, because I really need to work on it's strength, as if I over-strain it it kills! This injury's years old, but like I said "there's nothing wrong with it" apparently!

Here's the pics..

IPB ImageIPB Image

Cheers, Ed

Hey, I thought I'd post the injury that made me quit riding years back, and the injury I still have as the NHS insist there's nothing wrong with my shoulder! I think I found the injury on Google under A/C separation, and it was caused after flying over the bars and landing with my neck/left shoulder first causing a whole lot of pain, an odd looking bony lump, and a fairly weak left upper body. Any help with diagnosis / rehabilitation exercises would be great, because I really need to work on it's strength, as if I over-strain it it kills! This injury's years old, but like I said "there's nothing wrong with it" apparently!

Here's the pics..

IPB ImageIPB Image

Cheers, Ed

yep ed its called a sprung a/c joint and its the ligament that attaches the end of the collar bone to the shoulder and that ligs defo snapped

add me to msn and we'll chat about it in more detail about what to do next

silord@hotmail.com

si

As bumps are on the scene, when i was 3 i was ran into by my cousin, i did a face plant onto concrete, and had a lump on my forehead from it, it's still here to the day, its about the size of a 50p coin and would like to know why it's still there after 12 years, its not too bad, sticks out no more than 5 mm but i just don't like it. If you need pics i can get but it's gonna be webcam quality.

Just to add, it feels like thick skin.

Edited by Fat Pants

just to add to this, some people are saying that they are twisting anles quite regularly without any real pain. This due to instability of the ankle and simon can fix this! I kept falling over on mine, and it can eventually lead to broken ankles and such as nothing is stoppping the foot from rolling and if it happens under a lot of force, it can lead to your ankle/lower shit hitting the floor, and that hurts a lot! get instability looked at asap!

I wouldn't recommend A&E/NHS to anybody for further treatment. I went in after simon confirmed total separation of ATFL and PTFL ligaments, and the physio gave me exercises to do and tried to make me walk out not using my crutches! when there isn't anything holding my foot to my leg! they're dangerous i tell you!

anyways, can't recommend simon highly enough. he's helped me and other riders i know back to more than full health and has very good reputation, so you can definitely trust his advice and recommendations.

Smithy

This injury's years old, but like I said "there's nothing wrong with it" apparently!

Who have you seen about it? There is certainly an operation to hold the clavicle down - but there may be reasons why it's not right for you. If you've seen a surgeon about it, fair enough. I'm not gonna argue with that. But if it's just your GP telling you it's OK, I would probably insist on a referral to a surgeon, especially if it's still causing you trouble.

Who have you seen about it? There is certainly an operation to hold the clavicle down - but there may be reasons why it's not right for you. If you've seen a surgeon about it, fair enough. I'm not gonna argue with that. But if it's just your GP telling you it's OK, I would probably insist on a referral to a surgeon, especially if it's still causing you trouble.

i agree, its obviously an a/c tear that requires surgery but im meeting up with ed in next few weeks to get a look at it first then get a referral sorted for him

si

i agree, its obviously an a/c tear that requires surgery but im meeting up with ed in next few weeks to get a look at it first then get a referral sorted for him

si

Yeah do it. I get a bit pissed off with GPs that don't really know much about injuries like this, and just tell you to rest it or take Ibuprofen or something. Especially when it's made it impossible to ride trials and probably a few other sports.

Anyway - What causes a clicking ankle with pain?

Yeah do it. I get a bit pissed off with GPs that don't really know much about injuries like this, and just tell you to rest it or take Ibuprofen or something. Especially when it's made it impossible to ride trials and probably a few other sports.

Anyway - What causes a clicking ankle with pain?

hmm interesting one

clicking ankles like i said are common when you have sustained a ligament injury to de-stabilise the joint, however if you get pain when the ankle clicks it could be attributed to soft tissue inflamation in or around the ankle joint and will def need further investigation. just in case you have damaged the joint capsule or cartilage in the ankle

si

Surgery? Scary stuff! But yeah, if I need it I hope it at least gets me some time off work! I guess I'll let you decide what it needs when I get to see you.

I went to A+E the day I did it and they took an x ray, but said everything was fine and I wouldn't have any more problems with it and if I did to see me GP. A few weeks later, I went to see him, but he really didn't seem to have a clue what he was doing. He didn't tell me what was wrong with it, and told me to do some exercise (can't remember what it was now) that, when I tried it, made my shoulder barely movable for a few days, and after trying that twice I wasn't going to do it again!

Sounds like you would need to go back and get it checked out later. A lot of the time if you pitch up to A&E they can't really do anything until the swelling has gone down, so they send you away and you come back in a week or whatever. I'm pretty sure that if you went with your shoulder like in that picture, they would want to do something more for you... And yeah, GPs can be a bit rubbish when it comes to these things. Sounds like Simon can sort you something out though.

Physio: I was just curious as to what gives pain + clicking. Although my ankle clicks really very loudly, it never really hurts.

ok clicking is an interesting one, if you have sprained your ankle and sustaiuned ligament damage then the clicking could be a result of joint instability due to the ligs not holding the ankle structure together adequately enough (ligaments basically hold bone to bone)

if, however you have never injured the joint and it still clicks then it could be a combination of a couple of things

- if you are still in teens then you do have slightly more flexible ligaments as you are generally more bendy. so therefore the joint may open up and you get very small air pockets in the synovial fluid in the joint (like engine oil for joints) then the clicks are the air pockets popping like bubblewrap)

generally put down to either nitrogen in the joint capsule or that it is just the ends of

Thank you very much for that.

Forgot I posted that actually.. :rolleyes:

I've twisted it when riding before, and you know that annpying feeling when it feels like it needs to click? I've had that before, for about 2 days.

I'm still in my teens yes, 16.

No, it doesn't hurt at all when it 'clicks' I don't think you can hear it, but I can feel the 'click'.

Anything I should worry about then?

Or just put up with it, and it'll sort itself out? :)

Sounds like you would need to go back and get it checked out later. A lot of the time if you pitch up to A&E they can't really do anything until the swelling has gone down, so they send you away and you come back in a week or whatever. I'm pretty sure that if you went with your shoulder like in that picture, they would want to do something more for you... And yeah, GPs can be a bit rubbish when it comes to these things. Sounds like Simon can sort you something out though.

Physio: I was just curious as to what gives pain + clicking. Although my ankle clicks really very loudly, it never really hurts.

as previously posted lol

I have strained a muscle in my lower back. It isn't too bad but it feels strained when im up on my back wheel.

This is not the first time this has happened and I have had muscles strained/pulled quite alot in my back but they always seem to heal.

Is there any lasting negative effects of repeatedly pulling muscles in my back?

Anything I can do to prevent it?

Any way I can get the muscles to relax in my back when it is strained?

Thanks alot. Phil

Just a quick thought - would it be possible for you to post a selection of exercises for improving strength to the (generally) more vunerable areas of the body. E.G. Knees, ankles, shoulders, back and wrists.

I'm just thinking it may save you time in the long run (prevention rather than the cure) - I know most people here have specific problems but it may help out the others just after general advise who can still ride at the moment (like me).

Cheers,

Jamie

Just a quick thought - would it be possible for you to post a selection of exercises for improving strength to the (generally) more vunerable areas of the body. E.G. Knees, ankles, shoulders, back and wrists.

I'm just thinking it may save you time in the long run (prevention rather than the cure) - I know most people here have specific problems but it may help out the others just after general advise who can still ride at the moment (like me).

Cheers,

Jamie

It dosn't really work like that though. No matter how strong you are you can still bail and land on your ankle funny, i'm not the expert, but there's no way you can 'excersise' to prevent these injurys.

It dosn't really work like that though. No matter how strong you are you can still bail and land on your ankle funny, i'm not the expert, but there's no way you can 'excersise' to prevent these injurys.

Ok, fair point. But how many times have you rolled your ankle in the same manner - how about some general exercises for that sort of thing.

I know that I would benefit - the amount of times i've done my ankles and I know that it being stronger won't stop the injury but it will lessen the chance as it will be able to support itself better.

As for other exercises - I tore the ligaments in my shoulder and was give virtually no after care by the NHS so just restrengthened it as best I could and it seems to be doing the job so far but just some simple day to day exercises would be handy to know.

As for other exercises - I tore the ligaments in my shoulder and was give virtually no after care by the NHS so just restrengthened it as best I could and it seems to be doing the job so far but just some simple day to day exercises would be handy to know.

There's not really that much you can do for the ligaments in the shoulder. Unless you meant tendons? I tore a ligament in my shoulder and had it fixed with surgery. But all you can do other than that is to strengthen the muscles around the shoulder so you don't rely on the ligaments as much, if you see what I mean?