Crashed My F'cking Car Today. Need Help To Settle My Mind.

Chicky

Was driving back from the missus, had done 40 miles had 5 to go and i skidded out and went into the back of someone. It was the same bloody route i do every day and it was pissing it down so i was going really slow.

I must've hit the guy at like 5 mph or something stupid, all it did to me was smash the glass in a headlight but he's got a nice big dent in the back of his rover.

It was one of these

IPB Image

as far as i saw it only dented the back left of the car, below the boot door.

Does anyone have any idea how much its going to cost, the guy was a legend and said he wouldn't put it through the insurance companies, but he's guna get a quote from a rover garage and give me a call.

please help? I'm getting all worked up over this -_-

cheers

Edited by Chicky

Dunno if its the same but it cost my mate something like £30 to get a new rear bumper, get it sprayed and get it fitted after his was crashed into. It was hit hard enough to stop the boot from opening properly as well, i wouldn't imagine it'll be any more than £50-70.

Edited by Krisboats

Dunno if its the same but it cost my mate something like £30 to get a new rear bumper, get it sprayed and get it fitted after his was crashed into. It was hit hard enough to stop the boot from opening properly as well, i wouldn't imagine it'll be any more than £50-70.

£50-£70!!? sweet! I was expecting like £300-£500 :blink:

Can anyone clarify this? Sounds too good to be true!

Depends on a whole range of things mate. How old are you? How much is your insurance? What the conditions were?

you can hang on to your no claims bonus, but without seeing a picture of the damage in the flesh, I couldn't (nor anyone I doubt) make a reasonable judgement on how much it would be.

but don't get worked up about it. Look at it like this: Your still alive, so is the guy you hit. In any car accident thats a plus.

I once hit an oak tree at around 50 mph with mate in, and all I cared about was that we were both alive. Look at it that way and just think, "Its money, shit happens, I'm gonna have to pay some out."

If its just superficial damage (paneling, glass, skid bumpers) then you not looking at much more than a coupel of hundred quid. I know thats not what you want to hear, but like I said without seeing it, I couldn't possibly give you any kind of idea.

Take it easy, don't worry. thats all I can say.

Rich

you could get his paint code off him, and scan though ebay for a new rear bumper, shouldnt be much more than £40 and fit if for him yourself?

just depends how competant you are.

i very much doubt you could get one, get it sprayed and fitted for £30 as said above ^

you could get his paint code off him, and scan though ebay for a new rear bumper, shouldnt be much more than £40 and fit if for him yourself?

just depends how competant you are.

i very much doubt you could get one, get it sprayed and fitted for £30 as said above ^

You can doubt it as much as you want but its true. It was a volkswagen polo in that crappy metallic red (pink really) colour.

I bet he sticks to the proper rover dealerships/body shop (if there are any left around).

Therefore they'll slap on shit loads of labour charge, not to mention 20% extra on the cost of the bumper.

I would say you're looking at £140+ if that happens.

If however he's feeling generous he might just go to a small privately owned bodyshop and get it done for say £90.

I bet he sticks to the proper rover dealerships/body shop (if there are any left around).

Therefore they'll slap on shit loads of labour charge, not to mention 20% extra on the cost of the bumper.

I would say you're looking at £140+ if that happens.

If however he's feeling generous he might just go to a small privately owned bodyshop and get it done for say £90.

Or, you could just keep the guy happy and pay the extra to go 'Rover', after all he's doing you a favor by not going through your insurance.

If he decides you're f**king him about by suggesting getting it done cheaply and decides to go through your insurance, it'll add a fair whack onto your next premium anyway, probably not far off £140. But thats just the first year.

If some kid bumped into the back of me there's no way I wouldn't go through the insurance; my point being this guy's gone out on a limb here to sort it out between you. I would be greatful for that.

dont mean to put a downer on things ,but a doctor reversed into my mums A3 at low speed, and didnt do ANY panel damage, just rear bumper and rear light cluster, and the repair bill came in at nearly £700 from a NON audi repair centre.....

it really does depend on a lot of things, like how much rover want for a bumper, and the paint finish, if it was metalic then its a lot more money to have it done..... blah blah blah.......

Ditto what prawn says...

New bumper you're looking at around 200 quid i expect, paint another 200, labout 100 at least as far as I'm concerned.

No way is it gonna be less that 100 quid. Not a chance in hell.

Just go through your insurers and have done with it, we all learn our lessons on the road. Just be thanksful yours wasn't as bad as mine!

IPB Image

James

If i go through my insurance how much extra will my insurance quote go up by? And will it only effect next years price and then i can earn a years no claims after that?

If so i might aswell go through my insurance, i was planning on downgrading to a 1.0 mini anyway.

if you go through insurance, next years price will probably be double what it was this year (mine certainly was) and it will remain against you, with slightly higher premiums for the next 5 years.

although you can start earning no claims bonus again at the start of your next policy (or renewal)

when i insured the audi with a different company the crash against me did increase the premium slightly, and will continue to do so for the next 3 years.....

its a b*****d.

aviod insurance at ALL costs IMO.

if you go through insurance, next years price will probably be double what it was this year (mine certainly was) and it will remain against you, with slightly higher premiums for the next 5 years.

although you can start earning no claims bonus again at the start of your next policy (or renewal)

when i insured the audi with a different company the crash against me did increase the premium slightly, and will continue to do so for the next 3 years.....

its a b*****d.

aviod insurance at ALL costs IMO.

yeah, but from what you were saying yesteray, you raped that bmw. and Im pretty sure it would have been easier for you the have gone through the insurance than gettiung out a loan, although that guy was a total cock and norwich shut him up.

yea, but its not the amount of damage that happened ash, its simply the fact that an incident occured, in which i was technically at fault. thats a carsh against me. no matter how large or small, if a claim was made, it goes against you for 5 years.

my premuim went from £450 1st year to £998 second year after the crash! then my renewal quote for year after (with one newly earned year of NCB) was £730( surely the extra £280 over my first years premium was due to the crash?)

so yea..... im still paying for it in a roundabout way.

the extent of the damage to the car i hit has nothing to do with the carshes effect on my premium really.

although they do ask you how much it cost your previous insurer, but i was assured this wouldnt effect the quote.

Whoever said 50-70 quid :lol:

Make me laugh.

I dont the same thing dude, back in march. The dude said he wouldnt go through insurers.

I rung him up everyday for the next 2 weeks to find out if hed sorted a price to have it fixed, no answer.

Bout 2 months later i got a letter through from insures...willy :rolleyes:

lol

and, FUNILY ENOUGH. jUST HAD A Letter through today infact, from saga, saying that norwich union(my insurer) havnt settled the matter in the givin time..and they are gonna sue, if they dont hear from them in 7 days, LMAO

i must get on the phone in a min...im still gonna try and say it werent my fault :sleeping:

Well mate, i dont mean to be a bitch, but if hes taking it to a rover garage, they will rip his money from his hands, they will make up alot of bullsh*t like:

"As the car took quite an impact we will need to replace the whole boot lid, and the brackets, and as the light may have taken some damage we would prefer to not risk it and fit some new ones, and their casing. The bumper may be usecure so well have to refit it onto the mounts. This will come to about £700, and then £1,000,000 labour. Thank you."

Whereas if he takes it to a proper normal, trustworthy garage im sure you will get away with paying a little more than £150. :):blink::ermm:

Honestly, the BMW garage said they had to replace our whole door bracket on our X5 as it was clicking, and said it would cost ~160 for the bracket, and ~120 for the labour so i had a look, and it was just a star bolt that came loose i did it up and it is still fine (N):angry:

Just goes to show how much they want your money. :o:unsure: