Voluntary Euthanasia

Luke Rainbird

Unsure about Sweden, although the Netherlands legalised it in 2002, and it seems to be ok over there.

The problem with it is the whole decision bit. Is the person able to decide for themselves? If not, who can make the best decision (is there a BEST solution?) comes into play, and then it gets into quality of life etc.

Thought I'd get the TF concensus on it before finalising my essay :P

We do it for animals, but not for humans? :S

Admittedly it's a complicated subject, involving major decisions on the part of the sufferer and their families.... I dunno, but if someone I loved was suffering and I / they decided it was to end their hell. I wouldn't need some twat politician to decide for me if it was wrong or right!

Complicated subject indeed!

I'm for voluntary euthanasia, it's far more cruel to keep these people alive who have no standard of living, are in constant pain and their lives are a constant battle.

If they want it to end, and want to go peacefully and painlessly, I think they should have the right to choose so. Which is also why I think that suicidal people should be allowed to kill themselves after having therapy.

Fair enough, a lot of them aren't thinking straight, which is what therapy should be able to help, but after then, if they hate living so much they'd rather not exist anymore, who are we to stop them? It's just cruel really.

if someone WANTS to die, if their quality of life has genuinely become that poor, and they are still mentally stable enough to make that decision, then i see no problem in it at all.

its sad, but its fair.

As he said, plus think of the money that could be freed up for the NHS (heatless thought but true!)

The only real problem is that many older people might think they're a burden on their family, which may not be true. So it would be wrong if they were allowed to kill themselves. Old people are funny like that. I have nothing against it in principle, but I think it would be VERY hard to regulate to ensure no one got killed against their will. So I guess it's easier to ban it outright.

I think that suicidal people should be allowed to kill themselves after having therapy.

Fair enough, a lot of them aren't thinking straight, which is what therapy should be able to help, but after then, if they hate living so much they'd rather not exist anymore, who are we to stop them? It's just cruel really.

But a lot of people who are suicidal have some kind of mental illness (depression or otherwise) which is treatable. To assume that these people will never have a decent standard of living is a bit unfair. Also people that really want to kill themselves probably will. The failed suicide attempts are probably a different sort of case perhaps?

I've heard of situations where someone is in a coma or something and it is only a feeding tube keeping them alive.

Then the doctors are allowd to let them die by removing their feedng tube. They don't kill them as such they just don't keep them alive. This seems cruel as the person then starves to death and who knows if they can still suffer or not.

I think it would be better to give them a quick painless death but that is not allowed by law.

I do think Voluntary Euthanasia should be legal.

(Y)