Onza Down The Pan.

RR_Trials

Onza 07, what a disappointment (N). All the new models except the t comp and and the t master (in the 20" range) no0w equipt with v-brakes rather the the Magura Hydraulic Rim brakes. Our shop has to T-bird on back order and we will now be receiving a bike with a cable front disk rather then the better magura rim brake.

I am disappointed with Onza's decision to go with the new v-brakes rather then Hydraulic rim, and now i feel the T-pro is about as good as the old T-vee.

What are you opinions?

RR Trials.

Rorz!

Geomatry on a T-pro is better than a T-vee, so therefore making an affordable T-pro will help riders gets into riding quick and progress quicker, So instead of going T-vee, T-bird, T-pro, the zoo python. They can go T-pro, Zoo python if that makes sense, Its not a bad idea at all when you think about it, Child says to there mum i want that bike and its £400 she will straight away say no, Whereas she will be more reluctant to go for a cheaper version with V-brake, Until she knows her child like the sport and can progree to a better bike.

prices for raw good has gone up, onza has had to slightly "downgrade" their bikes to keep within the price range. But just keep in mind they have tensile freewheels, decent isis cranks.

Exactly.

Your not looking at the big picture. In fact, i take that back, that's all your doing. You've gone onto the onza site and just looked at the pictures.

I must admit, when i first looked at the new range, it did look silly, but i took the time read up on a few things and realise what they have done is all for the best.

Like Ali said, prices of raw materials have gone up. Which would add to the price of the bikes. Also, on the t-pro we're looking at much better cranks (ISIS apparently), much better freewheel, new pedals, i think they'll come with some better pads and probably alot of other things i've missed off. All this also adds to the price.

The only thing they've done is lost the maguras to balance the price back out to a reasonable amount so begingers don't have to sell a kidney to buy one.

We are also looking at 4 bikes under £450 instead of 3. Which can only be good.

So when you actualy take into consideration what's actually going on, and not just judge the book by it's cover, you'll see that they arn't just pissing about.

The reason they've 'downgraded' the new models, is so it's more affordable for beginners.

Not everyone has £400 odd lining their pockets...

The thing is though, you would definitely struggle to buy a decent mountain bike (that would last), or a decent road bike for £400. You wouldn't get a great BMX either I'd imagine. So £400 really isn't that much to start out in a sport, especially when the T-Pro is/was pretty good geo etc.

I guess at least this way people can upgrade stuff fairly easily a month or two down the line, whilst keeping the initial (scary) price high. As soon as you start riding trials, most people love and want to throw money at their bike... But if you've never ridden before and you're not sure you'll like it, £50 saved is worth it.

The thing is though, you would definitely struggle to buy a decent mountain bike (that would last), or a decent road bike for £400. You wouldn't get a great BMX either I'd imagine. So £400 really isn't that much to start out in a sport, especially when the T-Pro is/was pretty good geo etc.

I see what you mean, but the majority of people that start trials are around 11-13?

So unless they're like 'Daddy buys me everything' they'll struggle to make £400..

There's pleanty of people out there who'd want to start trials but can't afford £250 for the t-vee, let alone anything more.

The cheaper the bikes that are on offer the better.

I guess at least this way people can upgrade stuff fairly easily a month or two down the line, whilst keeping the initial (scary) price high. As soon as you start riding trials, most people love and want to throw money at their bike... But if you've never ridden before and you're not sure you'll like it, £50 saved is worth it.

I agree with what you have said, apart from the bmx bit. If you look around at bmx bikes in that price range there is a lot of good complete bikes around, that often make you wonder how they are priced so cheap for what is on them, and the quality of the frames. Obviously these aren't up to custom build specs, but they are still very good.

But then if you look at the things used on a trials bike such as magura brakes which come on full builds (most of them), then compare this to bmx where either cheap u-brakes are used or even no brakes then you can see how they are priced like that, and where the money is spent.

Edited by huck_it

I thought the T-Pro had square taper cranks on it? I know they've put the new cranks on it this year, but the versions I had of them to test were square taper and I thought they were just going straight on the bike like that... I've only seen a Zip file with pictures of all the new range in though so I haven't read up on any specs so I may be totally wrong. Either way, they hit the right price-points, have really nice riding frames for the T-Pro and T-Comp, so it's all good. I rode using the V-brakes that came on my first Onza for 2 years or so, and many people run V-brakes out of choice now, so they're obviously not that bad.

It's cool they're updating their range though, and it's good to see a manufacturer offering good bikes for beginners at a reasonable price instead of just hoping to trade on their name and selling shit bikes at the same prices...

Onza 07, what a disappointment (N). All the new models except the t comp and and the t master (in the 20" range) no0w equipt with v-brakes rather the the Magura Hydraulic Rim brakes. Our shop has to T-bird on back order and we will now be receiving a bike with a cable front disk rather then the better magura rim brake.

I am disappointed with Onza's decision to go with the new v-brakes rather then Hydraulic rim, and now i feel the T-pro is about as good as the old T-vee.

What are you opinions?

RR Trials.

Rorz!

Has anyone got a pic of the t-master?

Here's how I see, it: changing brakes is much easier and cheaper then changing frame-cranks-freewheel... So, if you get new comers to the sport and if they actually like it, they can put maggies later on. Or if already-good riders buy it, they can just get hs33's straight up and sell the V-s or keep them as back up...

In MY OPINION. Onza will be loosing out.

Loosing out in what way, money?

People will buy these bikes just as much as they did this year. Maybe even more becuase they are so much better this year than last. So what if they don't come with maguras, id rather they didn't if they came with a tensile freewheel and better components.

they're really not having hogs ? even on the t-comp? that's a bit of a disappointment, I like hogs.

To my mind every other change has been very sensible - either as an improvement (freewheel) or in that it leaves a fairly cheap and easy upgrade path (brakes).

Upgrading a rim isn't all that straightforward - you either get a whole new wheel (more expensive than a freewheel) or a new rim&build (costs money plus you lose your wheel for a while)

That's assuming the new rims are actually a downgrade of course. they might be perfectly fine

Ooo....I might hold on out on buying a Zoot and see if they put vee mounts on that this year.

IMO V's on complete bikes is a good thing...as long as they're good vees. Which looks like it may not be the case. I can't really tell from the pics, but they look like unbranded cack from here. Probably with poo pads. Which would be pretty unforgiveable on a highish spec mod.

Mod with high spec and decent V's & pads = the win.

With a proper seat.

/oldschool

Go on, flame away :P I'm too stubborn to change...Sd7's and heatsinks all the way baby...