Xbox 360's

Trials Boy

Hey

Thinking of the 360 for crimbo... Bearing in mind i have only played on one once, and that was in Game.

I was looking at these:

Link

Link

Link

Now i defo want Pro Evo 6, but i'm not sure what other game? Are these good deals around at the moment?

Anybody know where i could get other deals from apart from eBay?

What reviews are there with playing the XBOX 360 on a normal TV?

Thanks for any information.

Mat.

Check this site as the have a load of good deals on, hopefully it's where i will be getting mine: Gamestation-xbox 360 deals, they are usually nice guys working there as well if you need any further advice on any of it.

As for another game then these are all meant to be good: Gears of war, Hitman blood money, Tony hawks project 8. If you do want more ideas for games, and reviews at the same time, look no further than here IGN

And when i had mine before (last christmas time), the graphics were still very good on my tv in my room, which is a fairly cheap an oldish one. Obviously if you want the real deal then getting a hdtv will be better, but not everyone can afford one, which is fair enough.

I have one I used a few times but no longer use/want.

As-new condition, full premium pack (wireless, headset, hard drive etc), Halo, Halo II and the multiplayer packs, as well as Ghost Recon.

Would sell it for around £220 + p&p, leaving you to just sort another game.

Make me an offer if you're interested, it's just sitting at home while I'm at uni, so could do with moving it for a bit of cash too really (Y)

Expect it to break. I think they are a good idea but when it comes down to it the actual console can't handle the power it gives.

Picture it like this, a mini with nos? A lame example but all i could think of.

Not as bad a ps3 but in time the 360 will have a version 2. Thats when to buy.

I worked in a game shop by the way. Yes i am sad. And no i don't own one.

Also just to let you know. The ps3 will the do the same as the sega dreamcast. You know where im going with that one.

Expect it to break. I think they are a good idea but when it comes down to it the actual console can't handle the power it gives.

Picture it like this, a mini with nos? A lame example but all i could think of.

Not as bad a ps3 but in time the 360 will have a version 2. Thats when to buy.

I worked in a game shop by the way. Yes i am sad. And no i don't own one.

Also just to let you know. The ps3 will the do the same as the sega dreamcast. You know where im going with that one.

So bearing all that in mind, which is the console to go for? (assuming they were all released now)

If they were all released now this is how I do it, write down all the pros and all the cons then decide.

Heres a list of reasons for each console(top models):

360 Features:

Xbox Live, great online service, established, ONE username for ALL games.

Lots of Exclusive Titles such as PGR3 for racing fans Gear of War for FPS fans, Viva Pinata for younger one if there are any.

PC connectivity, stream to the xbox 360 or store files on it.

Wireless controllers.

Out of the box HD capable as cables supplied.

DVD rental online and downloadble tv shows.

Plays DVDs.

Relatively cheap at £280 or £299 with 2 games and extra controller at the moment.

20gb Hard-drive

Backwards compatible with Xbox games

PS3 Featues:

Playstation Network, online gaming and content

A few exclusive titles such as Resistence Fall of Man (others to come soon)

SIXAXIS controller, nice motion sensing and wireless

60GB Hard-Drive and can be upgraded to more easily.

Blu ray capabilities

Backwards compatible with Ps1 and Ps2 games

Wii Features:

WiiConnect 24, auto updates whilst "not on", it really is on still but it says off.

Great wireless controller with motion sensing.

The most exclusive titles available.

Backwards compatible with Gamecube games AND controllers AND memory cards.

Here are the reasons not to buy them

360:

You need an addon for the HD-DVD function.

Loud when watching DVDs

Have to pay for online

PS3:

No HD out of the box, cables are required.

Losing Exclusive titles rapidly.

Wii:

No HD option

Here are the reasons not to buy them

360:

You need an addon for the HD-DVD function.

Loud when watching DVDs

Have to pay for online

PS3:

No HD out of the box, cables are required.

Losing Exclusive titles rapidly.

Wii:

No HD option

You fogot the best ones!

360:

Breaks regulary

Need a remote for live tv. Which is free however.

Destroys discs.

Cracks discs.

Snaps discs therefore breaking laser. Therefore no warranty.

Expensive.

Easy stain white colour.

Lack of games, still!

Can't think of any more just yet but still that is enough i reckon.

PS3:

A cheap Blue Ray player. Blue Ray players cost £1000 currently? The ps3 cost £450. How does that work?

Blue Ray is already a dying format. Same as mini disk was.

One title only works on one console. eg. your game will not work on friends ps3. Therefore no second hand.

The controllers were a failure. Had to revert to old style. Which isn't such a bad thing.

Expensive.

End of Sony's gaming.

Wii:

Lack of 18+ gaming. eg doom. Like it would ever be on Nintendo though.

The thing being Nintendo is Japanese. Nintendo invented the Playstation. Nintendo sells out in Japan year on year. DS kicked PSP ass. Literally. Nintendo is classic.

But i still love Sonic :)

As for which console you should get? Anything but PS3 and 360 in my terms. Sega Genesis (Y)

There are more for all of them but some mates came over so I didnt finish them. They only scratch/crack discs if your clumsy and jog it whilst its playing.

However on wired controllers they have the break point so if you trip on it the wire snaps, 360 is fine. Also if you buy a 360 now all those bugs gone it was only the first 6 months that were bad and Microsoft have said they will replace them with new ones not refurbished old ones.

But as it has been said many times before, go with the console that has the games you want.

Edited by Team War Rider

Hi there,

Being a 360 owner you would expect me to say this, but from what i have heard the PS3 has just gone too far, from reading the specs on the two, the PS3 has just gone and doubled the 360 specs.

Saying that the Wii looks to have gone down the plane and simple route which normally in my opinion means best, the only thing that is rather annoying about the Wii, is the sd memory format, and it only supports up to 2gb so its back to the PS2 memory cards, here there and every were, but I myself am considering the Wii so we shall see won't we. :-

I don't own one. But would definately recommend the game Condemmed as one of your games, it really is one of the most immersive gaming experiences you will ever have, especially with surround sound, you will probably cack your pants, whilst enjoying yourself thoroughly.

Blue Ray is already a dying format. Same as mini disk was.

I pretty much tolerated the rest of your reply but that is bullshit. Do you even understand why sony use blueray?

For those of you who dont heres a breif guide:

Basically at the moment when you burn a CD a laser burns pips in surface of the disc. These pips are then read by your console by a red laser. This is done by waves being sent at a angle, towards the reflective surface of the CD. So you can imagine when a wave hits a place where there is no pip, the wave will reflect in a different posistion to the one that hits a pip. These are then read as 0's or 1's (off's or on's, low's or high's) and the data is read that way.

Now because the lasers we are using atm are at the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum the wave lengths are longer, meaning the pips have to be big (ish in relative terms, we are talking half a wavelength here). So that we can put more pips on a CD some clever people have decided, you know what, lets go to the other end of the electromagnetic spectrum (the blue end). This means that the wavelength is much smaller meaning that the pips burnt into the CD dont actually have to be as big. This means that more pips can be on one CD and so increasing the storage space on one disc.

So, how exactly is blue ray a 'dying format' :P

because its got to compete with HD-DVD's

its like VHS vs Betamax, or Mini disc vs CD's

sony lost both of those battles, and by the looks of things they are likely to lose again.

at the end of the day what would you prefer to be the common format?

HD-DVD's which you will eventually be able rip and burn on you own computer, will be cheaper and will be used for all games/dvds,

or a sony owned format which will require you to use sony endorsed software/hardware and probably cost a stupid amount more?

ah you're right, i've got my wires crossed somewhere.

in that case i don't know, but from what i can tell blu-ray has seemed a lot less welcome for whatever reason.

maybe it just sounds a little too daunting for people? where as dvd to hd-dvd is a lot easier to relate to...

anyway, if i was a betting man, i would be going for hd-dvd myself, i guess we'll see soon enough, one thing is for sure there won't be two common formats unless there can be one peice of hardware to play both.

However, every other major brand of electronics, are going for HD-DVD.

Sony and Apple are the only two companies I know of backing Blue-Ray. A while I go read that HD-DVD is backed by 7 Hollywood studios, meaning 7 studios will be releasing HD-DVDs. 3 studios are backing Blue Ray, two of those are also acking HD-DVD, and the other, is Pixar, who's CEO is Steve Jobs, who is also... CEO of Apple. Unless that has changed, Blue Ray is about to die, straight of the starting blocks.

Yeah im not to sure about HD-DVD's as I havent really read about them enough but I cant see what advantage they have over current DVD's

You seem to know enough about them to have faith in them though so I cant really argue.

EDIT: In response to Haz:

Thats interesting, ill have a read up on this HD-DVD shiznit.

EDIT 2:

Ooooh I see, HD DVD also uses wavelengths from the blue side of the electromagnetic spectrum (well blue-violet) so it stores more then DVD's

Interestingly not as much a Blu-Ray disc...

Edited by Has anyone seen my shoe?

I pretty much tolerated the rest of your reply but that is bullshit. Do you even understand why sony use blueray?

It may be bullshit but i'm only going by what i've been told and read when working in the game shop. I'm not a not bullshiter myself but from what i did read/ hear i do believe that it is dying. Please don't say nasty things again about me. :P

Blueray is just another boost in the disk advantages.

Because it is too expensive. And companies aren't to keen on it already. People don't want to ditch their dvd collection for yet another format. They got rid of vhs for dvd. But having spent enough on dvds they don't want to ditch those as well.

NEC I think have made a chip to lpay both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and normal DVDs, I believe it also upscales normal DVDS to HD size, ie 720p or 1080p.

I think HD-DVD will win, its got microsoft behind it, only the biggest software manufacturer in the world with the most money :P

Also its half the price of blu-ray.

I would prefer the storage of blu-ray with the price of HD-DVD but we cant have a perfect world :(

As for the PS3 doubling the 360 specs, this is not true. Its processor has more Floating Point calculation power due to the 7 SPE's but it only has one general core. Games use more general power than FP thus the 360 which can handle 6 threads, 2 on each of the 3 general cores, is better suited to gaming, the PS3 handles 8 threads, but only 1 is for general use. The GFX chip is also very inferior as many many many sites have proved due to the out of date architechture of it, they believe the R500 in the 360 maybe be up to 2 x as powerful as the RSX chip, it is however guanteed that the 221gb of bandwidth available to the R500 is more than the 48 gb available to the RSX

Technically the PS3 is more powerful with 1 tb of power, but its not a useful 1tb for games :( Shame I was hoping the PS3 would be better than it is as I was thinking of getting one, but now I wont.

Edited by Team War Rider

It may be bullshit but i'm only going by what i've been told and read when working in the game shop. I'm not a not bullshiter myself but from what i did read/ hear i do believe that it is dying. Please don't say nasty things again about me. :P

Blueray is just another boost in the disk advantages.

Because it is too expensive. And companies aren't to keen on it already. People don't want to ditch their dvd collection for yet another format. They got rid of vhs for dvd. But having spent enough on dvds they don't want to ditch those as well.

I do apologise, I wasn't calling you a bullshitter, what you said was bullshit. That could have been a one off.

Fair point, im not 100% how its going to turn out, HD DVD's basically use the same technology as blu ray, cept they use closer to the violet side of the electromagnetic spectrum. Will be interesting to see what happens, but by no means is blu ray a dying technology.

... but I cant see what advantage they have over current DVD's

Well, current DVDs are 4.7Gb, if you use Dual Layer you can get 8.5Gb.

With HD-DVD you can get 15Gb, and they are planning to release Triple Layer Discs very soon after release, I believe they have finished Dual Layer. Leaving you with 30Gb Dual Layer, and 45Gb Triple Layer.

Blue Ray, has 25Gb of space on one layer, so technically, it has an imediate advantage, but they really want 50Gb, to compete with HD-DVD, and that will be next sumer.

Also, HD-DVD players will be Triple Layer ready from release, Blue Ray will need an updated player system to read the 50Gb disc. Which seems silly, because it's allready more expensive!

Going on what I have read, obviously.

Yeah im not to sure about HD-DVD's as I havent really read about them enough but I cant see what advantage they have over current DVD's

You seem to know enough about them to have faith in them though so I cant really argue.

EDIT: In response to Haz:

Thats interesting, ill have a read up on this HD-DVD shiznit.

EDIT 2:

Ooooh I see, HD DVD also uses wavelengths from the blue side of the electromagnetic spectrum (well blue-violet) so it stores more then DVD's

Interestingly not as much a Blu-Ray disc...

Well, current DVDs are 4.7Gb, if you use Dual Layer you can get 8.5Gb.

With HD-DVD you can get 15Gb, and they are planning to release Triple Layer Discs very soon after release, I believe they have finished Dual Layer. Leaving you with 30Gb Dual Layer, and 45Gb Triple Layer.

Blue Ray, has 25Gb of space on one layer, so technically, it has an imediate advantage, but they really want 50Gb, to compete with HD-DVD, and that will be next sumer.

Also, HD-DVD players will be Triple Layer ready from release, Blue Ray will need an updated player system to read the 50Gb disc. Which seems silly, because it's allready more expensive!

Going on what I have read, obviously.

:-