Double Your Drive Train Life ?

duane

Hi All,

This fella http://sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html seems to be suggesting that a chain only stretches between outer plates although to be honest from reading his article I can't see where he gets this from.

Anyway if he is right and you use an even chain ring with an even sproket you should be able to wear down the set of teeth between the inner links but when you change your chain you can fit the new chain (outerlinks) to use the unworn teeth that were previously between the inner links.

Does it make any sense to anyone and does anyone think it would work ?

Duane.

Having worn out a hell of a lot of chains, most of my old ones aren't really stretched...more worn. I've split a few of the REALLY ancient ones and you can see where the inner plates have dug a groove into the pin, which in my estimation is gonna have a bigger impact than the actual (by comparison negligible) stretch of the plates themselves.

Maybe I'm talking bollocks, but I've seen that first hand (admittedly said chains were utter donkey poo to start with, but hey...)

Trials does put very specific demands on chains. A 'normal' cyclist will put a reasonably consistant load on a chain, then pedal for miles and miles and miles... Trials riders put high stress loads on a chain, but for a very short period of time. It's the difference between slowly pulling apart a piece of blu-tac, and yanking it apart with a snap.

Sheldon Brown is an extraordinary man, but unfortunately not a well one. Here's his health blog, let's hope for the best!

all i can say is ROFL

e.g

"Send us your actual credit card (not just the number!) along with a sample signature, and when the price has been finalized, we'll charge your card accordingly."

or

amazing gaurentee

"Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee!!!*

*Guaranteed for the life of the tool, or two weeks, whichever comes first. This guarantee does not apply to any TORK-GRIP Universal Torque Wrenches that has been used in the inertial impact alignment tool mode, nor to any that has been used on fasteners not specifically designed for the TORK-GRIP Universal Torque Wrenche, nor for any TORK-GRIP Universal Torque Wrench that has been dropped from more than 18 inches. Void where prohibited, prohibited where void, keep away from children and animals, use only with adequate ventilation. Note: Misuse of this product may lead to death or even serious injury! "

should do this to my bike could gap sooo far NORTH http://sheldonbrown.com/geomag.html

Edited by bite me

Sheldon Brown is an extraordinary man, but unfortunately not a well one. Here's his health blog, let's hope for the best!

I can't really imagine how hard it must be for a person like Sheldon Brown, who's had that much involvement with bikes, to have to admit to himself that he'll never ride a bike again. That's a pretty big deal...

Interesting Fact: Today, Chris snapped his chain. The pin remained between the two outer plates, but the two inner plates fully sheared. Maybe Mr. Brown's ideas about inner plates never getting worn isn't 100% accurate?

I can't really imagine how hard it must be for a person like Sheldon Brown, who's had that much involvement with bikes, to have to admit to himself that he'll never ride a bike again. That's a pretty big deal...

Yeah. Harsh.

Hope they find some odd disease that they can cure.