Sidehoppage

trials rules

I have read as many tutorials etc as possible and i think i have the technique to sidehop, but when ever i get in the air or just land, i always put my left foot down. ( i hop to the left). I conciously try and keep my foot on the pedal but cant help it. Is this just one of those things i have to get out of the habit of doing or is my technique flawed in someway so i lose balance or something?

Thanks for help as im getting a bit peeved now! :-

ok, its the british champs, your riding elite, its the last round and your winning by one point, ben slinger has just got up the sidehop and has finnished the comp, if you get up the wall clean you have wone the champs.

Thats what I often think and I find it helps.

Also pretend your foot is glued to the pedal with REALLY strong glue, you cant take it off.

MIND OVER MATTER

I used to do that all the time, I started to make a habit out of it and it started to piss me right of becuase it was taking me like 10 attemps at a sidehop but all the time I would take my foot off the pedals. I don't do it no more though just stopped doing it after I was doing them all the time like ever day I would go out and just trying them non stop.

You'll pack doing it soon, Just keep going at them. I know how anoying it is though it Used to piss me right off.

ok, its the british champs, your riding elite, its the last round and your winning by one point, ben slinger has just got up the sidehop and has finnished the comp, if you get up the wall clean you have wone the champs.

Thats what I often think and I find it helps.

Also pretend your foot is glued to the pedal with REALLY strong glue, you cant take it off.

MIND OVER MATTER

Thats a good way to say it

hmm gonna try ali's ''technique'' out soon

i have the same problem.. i sidehop to my left, which is also my forward foot

so when i don't make it i don't land on my pedal since thats too low and have a pretty bad fall each i miss..

but oh well my own fault for learning it the wrong way

Crash and Learn! Just dont take you foot off - you'll prob mess up and fall off 1st time, then go 'oh wait that wasn't to hard if only i'd commited'. You'll do it right next time!

Mistakes and learning from them is human nature. Apply to trials (or anything else in life) and you'll be sorted.

i find this is quite a big problem too!

i was trying a sidehop around 42-43 inches yesterday, and it just wasnt happening, apparently i was making the height easily, and taking my foot off after making the height :S

i then went to a smaller sidehop just to practise the technique a bit, and i was so conditioned to taking my foot off at the top, that i started doing it on the tiny easy sidehop as well!!!!!

AAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

when i was sidehoping to the same side as my forward foot i was having this issue, one day i was doing 6 pallets, then i could not do 5 as i was taking my foot off,

i thought oh well i ent exactly good at sidehoping, so i just started to learn it again to the correct side, now after about 2 months or so i am doing more than what i was befor, after years of doing it to the wrong side.

so my advice would be to go out get some pallets and try to learn to the correct side. (Y)

when i was sidehoping to the same side as my forward foot i was having this issue, one day i was doing 6 pallets, then i could not do 5 as i was taking my foot off,

i thought oh well i ent exactly good at sidehoping, so i just started to learn it again to the correct side, now after about 2 months or so i am doing more than what i was befor, after years of doing it to the wrong side.

so my advice would be to go out get some pallets and try to learn to the correct side. (Y)

Hmmm, I'l have to give that a try as I sidehop to the 'wrong' side and I'm not very good at it. It feels awkward to side hop to my right though (left foot foward).

Does hopping to your back foot side really make it that much easier?

Cheers (Y)

Hmmm, I'l have to give that a try as I sidehop to the 'wrong' side and I'm not very good at it. It feels awkward to side hop to my right though (left foot foward).

Does hopping to your back foot side really make it that much easier?

Cheers (Y)

well i will be honist it feels odd at first, but stick with it and it will get better, like i said i can go higher than befor, but my balance still needs some work.

go out try it and stick with it (Y)

you'll soon realise that if you mess up you slip to pedal, and if you've got a bit of tuckage and bike-lean going on, you'll slide down via the sidewall of the tyre = quiet and slow.

commitment is everything, but everyone's said that already.

I have read as many tutorials etc as possible and i think i have the technique to sidehop, but when ever i get in the air or just land, i always put my left foot down. ( i hop to the left). I conciously try and keep my foot on the pedal but cant help it. Is this just one of those things i have to get out of the habit of doing or is my technique flawed in someway so i lose balance or something?

Thanks for help as im getting a bit peeved now! :-

i use to do it most sidehops.........i found that if you do loads of smaller walls then you don't tend to put your foot down, just do this for 30 odd sidehops and it should have you in the rythem of it staying on.