Frame Stripping/respray

Oxyfin

hey guys, just a quickish question.

Im looking to send my frame off for a respray soon and am just wondering where people have sent there's before, what the service and outcome was like etc.. (also price..!)

What im after is getting the frame rubbed down to a polish finish, and then coated in a laqure. So basically turning my black frame into polished silver, I know its easy to do yourself, ive done it before on another bike, but i would prefer a professional finish, and cant really afford the time to do it.

Ive done a bit of searching on the forum, and there's little info i could find on frame stripping, and there's alot of "my mate got it done for 25 quid, full respray, but cant remember where" Im looking to spend about 50 quid, so any info would help,

cheers

Mart

£50? :-

I'd do it for £40, which'd include postage back to you ;)

In all fairness though i'd say try it yourself, its easy as pie and if you have a solid colour like black to get off its obvious when the nitromors has worked as you'll be able to see very easily all the little bits of paint left on.

Theres a guide on here about how to do it, i think it was by jake ansell.

Basically you whack some nitromors on the frame, wait till the paint bubles and cracks and peels, then bruch it off with a paintbrush leaving a dirty silver frame. Then get some metal polish on it.... i use brasso for all my polishing as its cheap and easy, then depending on what kind of finish you want you apply a certain amount of elbow grease and repeatedly polish it up. For a less chrome and brighter silver effect spend a long time with the finest grade wet and dry you can find then spray the lacquer on top of that.

My frame went from:

IPB Image

To this:

IPB Image

IPB Image

I know its easy to do yourself, ive done it before on another bike, but i would prefer a professional finish, and cant really afford the time to do it.

No one notice that sentence then? ;)

I'd say get in contact with Iolo, The place that powder coats them for him wouldn't do my frame clear coat, but it might be a different matter with an aluminium frame.

You tried the local industrial estate?

No one notice that sentence then? ;)

I'd say get in contact with Iolo, The place that powder coats them for him wouldn't do my frame clear coat, but it might be a different matter with an aluminium frame.

You tried the local industrial estate?

Yeah i noticed it, all i was saying is its easy to get a professional finish, which is the thing he seems to be after mainly. Theres no real difference in the way he would do it or the way someone else would... at the end of the day its just evenly applying the lacquer that creates the best finish, something that he would save a tonne of money on if only he were to do it himself.

A friend has his intense m3 done by argos cycles.

Really good finish.

came with stickers to :)

Hi,

I can second Argos, I got a road bike stripped, sprayed and renovated at Argos in Bristol. It was a steel road frame so the cost included realignment on a jig and re brazing all the welds and even putting genuine Renolds 653 Race renovated stikers on the bike which meant a lot back in the day.

With an aluminium bike they cant realign it or re braze the weld (not flexible like steel) so explain that all you want is a stripping and spraying and the cost could come down a lot. For what its worth, the paint on my bike looks like new after more than 10 years.

Regards

Duane.

cheers for finally noticing that i said i didnt want to do it myslef, lol..

you lazy b*****d martin!

its really such a waste to pay someone else to do such an easy job.....

you only go to uni for 4 hours a week, so its not as if your stretched for time!there are another 36 working hours in a week before you even go into your own social time!

wouldnt take more than a good afternoons work!

(Well I do have a dissertation to work on as well as about 4 essays) When i rubbed down my zero and resprayed that it took ages, literally a week of me working on it everyday after work, i think some paints strip off easier than others (using nitromors). I stripped some forks (p2s) and the paint literally just fell straight off, but with the my zero it took quite a few coats of paint stripper, and then alot of sanding to actualluy get all traces of paint off (especially around the welds).

I think it would take slightly more than just an afternoons work,,

(Well I do have a dissertation to work on as well as about 4 essays) When i rubbed down my zero and resprayed that it took ages, literally a week of me working on it everyday after work, i think some paints strip off easier than others (using nitromors). I stripped some forks (p2s) and the paint literally just fell straight off, but with the my zero it took quite a few coats of paint stripper, and then alot of sanding to actualluy get all traces of paint off (especially around the welds).

I think it would take slightly more than just an afternoons work,,

If its thick paint just apply more and leave it longer, its not that hard.