Brake/ Rim Help Needed.

eskimo

With my front vee i have the problem with the lever coming in further sometimes on different places around the rim.

It isn't the vee brake by the way. That is all perfect.

I put it down to the fact that the rim has a grind and the grind is deeper is some places of the rim which then causes the pads to come in further?

This is the only thing i can think of. I bought the wheel second hand off here so i'm not sure what the guy did to it.

Any ideas?

i cant see the grind being the problem you would have had to fcuk up the grind pritty bad for the lever to come in futher in different places for it to be noticeable. hmmmmmm the pad isnt catching on the tyre in some places is it other than that im out of ideas sorry

i cant see the grind being the problem you would have had to fcuk up the grind pritty bad for the lever to come in futher in different places for it to be noticeable. hmmmmmm the pad isnt catching on the tyre in some places is it other than that im out of ideas sorry

Thats what i thought. Maybe thats why he sold it. The brake is setup perfect. I might try a magura on it tommoro.

Any one else with an idea?

Are your pads ok? Sometimes they come away from the backing slightly at the front and fold over making the pad slightly fatter.

Nope. Once again the brake is fine. Although all these comment about it make me wonder now :lol:

Theres got to be a reason somewhere what someone knows!

Thanks, keep 'em coming.

Any dents in the brakewall?

It might have got squished inwards so it's more like:

|_____\ or /_____\ instead of |______| (cross sectional view) In a couple of places - and the rest it's not

Probably the /_______\ on with a V as they pivot?

Edited by Flipp

Maybe you just got a big old egg instead of a round wheel. When the wheel hits its highest point only 1/2 the brake pad makes good contact with the rim, if this happened on both sides (which it would) it may be interpreted as extra lever travel. Other than that, change each possible part until you figure out whats wrong, then rectify :)

IMO most rim/brake setups do this a *tiny* amount, only seems to be noticeable with a decent set of V's that you know really well. Is it so bad that it's causing problems or just enough to annoy you but not affect performance?

Like someone else suggested, check for flatspots and bends on the rim. Or any other sort of deformity of the rim that affects the width between the two sidewalls, because that's pretty much the only thing that can cause that feel at the lever. Unless it's happening randomly - if you can feel the lever move once every wheel rotation while doing e.g. a stoppie then it's gonna be a buggered rim, but if it's random, I ain't got a clue.

The combat on my old jump bike did this. It was because the rim walls had bent outwards like \_____/ where I had done harsh landings. It can be cause by running too much pressure though, but I doubt that on a trials bike. Best way to check I've found in the past is to put the wheel in a jig and true it only ever looking at one side with the jig set right at the outside edge of the rim-wall. Then once that sides straight have a look at the other side on the jig and see if that sides straight too.

Any dents in the brakewall?

It might have got squished inwards so it's more like:

|_____\ or /_____\ instead of |______| (cross sectional view) In a couple of places - and the rest it's not

Probably the /_______\ on with a V as they pivot?

I think we have found the problem. Cheers Flip!

I will have to take the tyre off and inspect.

As for the performance/ annoying thing, its both. Modulation for it dies when it reaches the certain spot on the rim. Imagen pulling the brake a little then it suddenly un-gripping.