Chain Tensioner, Home Made.

moza

Hey,

after boshing my mech it broke, so i have made one, its basically a 6mm plate of aluminium shaped to suit. i have then put a hole in for the axel bolt, one for the jocky wheel post and a slot so that the chain tension can be adjusted. it is attached to my hanger and also by the axel bolt. the jocky wheel is held on by a 10mm stainless steel bar with an M6 thread to screw it on tis allows the chain line to be adjusted left to right. It has 2 adjustments, chain line and chain tension. take a look see what you think.

DSCN0409.jpg

DSCN0410.jpg

DSCN0411.jpg

I am going to make a sprung one with 2 jocky wheels soon which should be better :turned:

any suggestions, or comments to improve?

Hey,

after boshing my mech it broke, so i have made one, its basically a 6mm plate of aluminium shaped to suit. i have then put a hole in for the axel bolt, one for the jocky wheel post and a slot so that the chain tension can be adjusted. it is attached to my hanger and also by the axel bolt. the jocky wheel is held on by a 10mm stainless steel bar with an M6 thread to screw it on tis allows the chain line to be adjusted left to right. It has 2 adjustments, chain line and chain tension. take a look see what you think.

looks nice maurice have you actualy managed to bend it yet? ive seen you bosh it a few times. how light is it any way?.

it looks way better in person.

chris

you may need to put something on it to keep the chain on the jockey wheel mine falls off all the time Lol,

could use a roller insted if you like the noise

looks very good!

Steve

his chain doesn’t come off it keeps on because it is perfectly in line and gives the perfect tension. i ride with him most night and i have never seen his chain come off (well before it did because he had a bent front cog) but now its fine hasn’t come of once to my knowing.

chris

write a guide? get validated + sell them en mass? that looks really good (Y) (Y)

how do you adjust the tention/ what happens if you land on your chain? does it move upwards with the chain or is it like a fresh-products one?

Yer Maruice, that handy contraption is a good 'un at that!!

Love it, looks sex in real life! used to be really up tight to the frame, seems to have slacked a little?

Still doesn't bosh or move or 'owt, never come off when with me.

Mat

Thats the thing that sucks. because you push it then tighten it up to tension it when you land on something using your bash the chain goes a little slacker. this is the reason i would like to make a sprung one :turned:

Moza

Your chain also looks REALLY long.

I'm fairly certain you could whip out at least 1 link from that mother... :turned:

Other than that looks pretty good. Would go for a roller myself though

I was gonna say the same, take a link out your chain and run it with the tensioner nearer your chainstay.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

That looks nice, but it still uses the der. hanger. I really hate derailleur hangers. I hate them, I hate them.

Im always glad to see a new home made tensioner, I like the simplicity.

Thats why I like this tensioner: http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=32956 <- I also like that one because its mine ;)

If I werent so lazy, and the tensioner didnt work so well the first time, Id re-do it and smooth off the corners and maybe paint it.

anyways, good job