Freewheels

kaar3l

My try-all slips like f**k, even when im lining up to do something = slip slip, could just be an odd one as many people say there good!

Try rebuilding it?

I have nothing but good about the try-all, but I have a tensile and it is mint! Engages loads and is nice and loud! I would go for the try-all though next time, the try-all has sealed bearings, nine pawls and engages more often than any other freewheel, whereas the wensile doesn't have sealed bearings, they are wide open, has 6 pawls and is only £15 less.

Another one of these. Try-All = Monty

The only difference is the amount of shit inside each of them. Can't see the Try-All being any more reliable than the Monty seeing as there is almost no free space in one of those plus 50% more pawls to go wrong. Why would a Tensile therefore be better than a Monty and worse than a Try-All? Anybody care to shed some light on this matter?

Right, Ive never had a monty one, so I cant comment on that one...

Ive had a tensile, that I ran for about 2 weeks. Ok, so it was second hand, but it seemed to work fine at first, so I left it alone. It gradually started skipping, the after about 2 weeks, the whole thing just blew up and snapped 4 springs and destroyed 2 pawls.

The Try-all one I had, was brand new, and would not stop skipping. I tried servicing it ect, and it would skip every time any pressure was applied. Also my mate has just killed one recently as well.

Why has no one mentioned the ENO? Ive had about 4 (all on different bikes Ive sold) and I have never had a single problem with one. Its the one I would go for a million times over. It feels much more solid and better made than the others. There just that sence of quality about it, so thats the one I trust

Edit - Before someone mentions price, you can get ENOs for around £50 from a shop on Ebay

Edited by Andy@NBR

Yeah, I don't get why people are saying the Monty sucks but the try-all is the nuts. There the same thing, just the try-all has 3 more pawls crammed in there. When there engaged, there's still gunna be 3 pawls engaging into a 36t ratchet, so neither should skip any more than the other, unless one has say weaker springs or something, which I'm pretty sure they don't.

I'd go with the tensile personally, because of the fitting system, and the way it can be serviced without being removed from the crank arm. Also aren't they caged bearings? meaning it'll be a shed load easier to service?

But if you can afford an Eno, It seems to be worth shelling out.

My try-all slips like f**k, even when im lining up to do something = slip slip, could just be an odd one as many people say there good!

My Try-All freewheel does the same they are apsolutely crap, it skips loads and i dont trust it anymore, skips the most when im just pedaling, but it still skips when im doing gaps wich i dont really like, when i had my tensile i thought it was alot better as it did not skip as much and you could service them really easily as they had the sealed bearings, but with the try-all the bearings are all loose and come out all over the place, i have also found the try-all freewheel to come loose aswell and the bearings falling out, i am not very happy with it at all, i bought it because people said they were good and i would never buy another one.

Thanks Tom

Is it only me that thinks Tensile freewheel are shit? Quite a few of my mates have used them and the bearings have totally f**ked up, in exactly the same way each time (N) .

If it was me, i'd get a Monty over a Tensile, but that's only based on the bad experiences with Tensiles, mentioned above.

Cheers,

Joe.