Fun Bolts Or Quick Release?

NirZionTrials

Hey guys,

today i am runinng a King with Quick Release, i am changing to Hope Pro 2, i seems that most Pro 2 Users ride with Fun Bolts

the thing is my friends riders with FB but the has to adjust it 3-4 times every ride...

and when i ride with a QR i dont even look at it...

what do you guys think?

Edited by NirZionTrials

ermm fun bolts require a 12 mm hole when a q/r has only a 5mm hole making the axel stronger .

But a quick release hardly supports the hub at all, where as the Fun Bolts have a 10mm solid steel bolt supporting the inside of the axle. And hopes are 10mm Fun bolts, so only need a 9mmish whole with an M10 thread in it.

Anyway, never heard of problems with them coming loose really, and any bolt can be rounded by a big enough idiot.

Go for which ever you thinks would be easier/nicer. Neithers realy gunna be stonger or whatever.

But a quick release hardly supports the hub at all, where as the Fun Bolts have a 10mm solid steel bolt supporting the inside of the axle. And hopes are 10mm Fun bolts, so only need a 9mmish whole with an M10 thread in it.

Anyway, never heard of problems with them coming loose really, and any bolt can be rounded by a big enough idiot.

Go for which ever you thinks would be easier/nicer. Neithers realy gunna be stonger or whatever.

9mm hole for an m10 thread! you would have fun getting that bolt to fit!

m10 is a m10 for a reason it means 10mm, therefore the hole needs to be m10 clearance usually around 10,2mm

ash

the hole is about 9mm with 10mm m10 threads cut in to it. Hence when you internaly tap somethin you drill a hole smaller than the size of the boly. Think about it in a 10mm hole, a 10mm diameter bolt would just slide in and out as the outside of the threads is 10mm wide.

The Qr hopes arn't the trials version, hope used funbolts for a reason on the trials, theyre loads stiffer. The 6mm allen heads can be rounded pretty easily as they are quite shallow. Its not hard to get bolts with a 8mm allen head though

9mm hole for an m10 thread! you would have fun getting that bolt to fit!

m10 is a m10 for a reason it means 10mm, therefore the hole needs to be m10 clearance usually around 10,2mm

ash

the m10 tapping size is 8.5mm. it has a 1.5mm pitch.

now what do you think would happen if you drilled it 10.2mm and tried to tap it 10mm? oops.

10.2mm is infact the tapping drill for an m12 thread.

so the minium diamter of a pro2 axel must be 8.5mm.

I have funbolts.... they piss me off! Wish I'd gone for a qr set-up!

I find it's a pain fitting the wheel due to both bolts having to be tightened together to ensure the wheel sits in the same place every time I remove the wheel (and who has two allen keys when out on a ride?).... which really never happens ie: I usually have to adjust my brakes EVERY FREAKIN TIME!

It's a slight pain having to fit the wheel with the bolts in place to get past the mech and I'm just not comfortable with the thread sitting in the dropouts for some reason!

Sometimes they come loose and I'm not using locktight on them cause the wheel needs to come out every so often to change pads / punctures etc.

Meh` they do my nut in! :angry: QR is so much easier, although not as stiff I guess!

.... mini rant over! ;)

I have funbolts.... they piss me off! Wish I'd gone for a qr set-up

ditto. they're alrite and that but need tightening every so often - which never happens with a QR

the main problem is that the bolts dont fit past your rear mech (does anyone still run a mech?!) when u try and take the wheel out or put it in. this means its impossible to set the wheel in the dropouts (cos you can't have the bolts screwed in a bit) and without them in, lining up the axle threads / bolts to screw it in is a bitch. with my current onslaught of punctures, gets right on my tits!

Edited by the boon

Any reason for the move from a King to a Pro 2???

The king is a great hub,but after having problems with it and changing his main internal parts, that means:

Drive Ring

Driven Ring

Drive Spring

Spring Retainer

it skiped on me a couple of times, one of the times was a 6 foot drop, land to two whiles *ouch*... that just Piss me off.

so i wana see how loyal the Pro 2 is, if its better then the CK i will just move to using it.

anyway i got FB with my new Pro 2, even thoe i have a bad feeling... what i am saying is "if somthing works dont fix it" QR... :ermm:

the m10 tapping size is 8.5mm. it has a 1.5mm pitch.

now what do you think would happen if you drilled it 10.2mm and tried to tap it 10mm? oops.

10.2mm is infact the tapping drill for an m12 thread.

so the minium diamter of a pro2 axel must be 8.5mm.

do you really think i am thick?

yuo were refering at first to the hole size in the frame

i never said that 10.2 was a tapping drill size? its M10 clearance, for the fun bolt to ft in the dropout size in the frame it needs to be at least 10mm

either me or you have got mixed up with what we are talking about here in the conversation

i see the point that you thought i was saying 10,2 was a tapping dril size, i didnt mean that

i know that 8,5mm is the tapping drill size for M10

basically i didnt realise that you were on about the axle i thought you wer referring to the dropout,

sorry for any confusion

ash