Chain Snapping All The Time

ashley

You using a half link chain?

if not buy one, they are alot

stronger and try not to tighten

it as much. Give it a little bit of slack

Lewis.

you are joking right? or are you just stupid? half link chain are about as strong as paper chains, theyre a hell of alot weaker then normal chains. and run it slack!!?!?!?! ???????

wtf are you on!! you complete noob!! you just gave the best way snap chains!!! dont give advice about something that you obviously dont know anything about. anyway back on topic, what chain are you using?? and how often do they snap?? i run KMC k810's and i would heavily recomend them or K710's, theyre probs the strongest out. but with just because of the way i ride i have to replace my chain every 3-4 weeks, no matter what it is. im a snapoholic...lol

Edited by aim@me

get a kmc kool chain, then you should be fine, they do snap...just like any chain will, but are considered one of the best chains for trials and bmx-also bloody cheap too :) change it every 4-6months (at the latest) and you should be fine

half link chains can be ok, but there are only a few that are really any good, i personally wouldn't recommend one over a kool, just cos the stretching issue mainly (due to the shape of the links)

split links are shit, don't run one, they always create more hassle than they are worth it seems!

also, look into your chainline-is it straight? if the chains running at a silly angle, it wont do it much good, also make sure you aren't running too much tension, its a good way to rape chains to the max

also, take care of them, if the chains full of skank, clean it, letting the chain get dirty and making a grinding paste with the oil/grease will wear the chain prematurely and weaken it

i love the kmc k810's, beasts!!! cus im realy bad with snapping things they obviously are still goin to snap like any other chain but now iv snapped quite a few i know quite accuratly how long i can use it for before it goes BANG!

youve never broke a chain?? and you use a half link chain??? are you sure its trials your doing?

The shadow conspiracy interlock V2 chains are really quite strong, and have a breaking threshold thats stronger than a KMC kool k710. If he had one of those chains i don't see why he's have any problems with it snapping at all. Especially considering all the pins are longer, thicker and the plates themselves are thicker than the ones found on a KMC chain.

The cheapo £9.99 half link chains are gay though.

The shadow conspiracy interlock V2 chains are really quite strong, and have a breaking threshold thats stronger than a KMC kool k710. If he had one of those chains i don't see why he's have any problems with it snapping at all. Especially considering all the pins are longer, thicker and the plates themselves are thicker than the ones found on a KMC chain.

The cheapo £9.99 half link chains are gay though.

Thats the one i have, It cost me around £14.00 i think <_<

Lewis

Right what everyone seems to have missed is are you sure your connecting your chain propperly when fitting it? i dont mean to sound patronising but a KMC kool will last me about a year before it snaps and i have run a lot of tension and put a lot of strain on it. i went though a stage of snapping lots of chain through not connecting them propperly fully checking that the pin i just put in didnt leave the chain stiff or vunerable at that point...

what a bit of advise is put a bit of tipex on the side of the chain either side of the pin that youve put in... and ill guess youll find that youll be snapping on that point mostly because of not fitting it right

Ive had my kmc cool chain for a year now and its still going strong. i even have blown up free wheel and tensioner's having to much tension on this chain. but my chain is still holding up. also its cheap and easy to get hold of. certainly recommend one.

baz.