Ot Cutting A Glass Bottle

Wright Pads

Okay bit sad maybe i duno.

Thankfully i have an empty bottle of JD, 70cl size. It was my bro fav and only drink...

I want to cut the neck off. Just above where on the glass it has ''Jack Daniels'' cast in the glass.

Why, well once i've cut it i'm going to smoeth it off and covered the lables with stick back plastic or try and find the full sized one online, laminate them and then use it as a varse at his grave side!

I was wandering if i could cut it using a really thin blade for my angle grinder and high speed?

Will be dusty as it's glass but i will have protection on i promiss....any tips or ideal?

Pete

be patient. personally, i'd find a company to do it for you. they have the necessary protection and procedures. glass dust is EXTREMELY dangerous. you need an extraction unit, not just a face mask and goggles!

like they idea though. and it'd be worth doing it properly. a company could probably prep the cut edge nicely as well?

smithy

Done it! I used a title cutting blade at full speed and just let it rest it's own weight on the bottle. Everything was taped up really tight, tape split as i was tapping it it up. I made one and it came off clean pretty much. 3 tiny crack have formed but only in the top! Super gule has been used. Well Crayonlate thin toxic stuff but has filled them up and will stop them! Just found some clear acrlic spray in the atic so i have just given the bottle a cost misting with that to seal the labels. Will do it again once its dryed a bit. As for edge protection i'm using some 1/2'' hose that was spear form my water cooling on my pc! Cut a V in the corner so one length can be use. Some stone in the base to weight it down then fill with water add blue red blue flowers (his army unit colors) and take it down. Nice little tribute for him i think!

Sorry guys i know i risked a lot, lossing the bottle or hurting my self but i really wanted to do this for him. Even though we hadted each other, never had anyhting in comen and fight cat and dogs.

RIP brv you bugga

Will post pics one it's dry

Done it! I used a title cutting blade at full speed and just let it rest it's own weight on the bottle. Everything was taped up really tight, tape split as i was tapping it it up. I made one and it came off clean pretty much. 3 tiny crack have formed but only in the top! Super gule has been used. Well Crayonlate thin toxic stuff but has filled them up and will stop them! Just found some clear acrlic spray in the atic so i have just given the bottle a cost misting with that to seal the labels. Will do it again once its dryed a bit. As for edge protection i'm using some 1/2'' hose that was spear form my water cooling on my pc! Cut a V in the corner so one length can be use. Some stone in the base to weight it down then fill with water add blue red blue flowers (his army unit colors) and take it down. Nice little tribute for him i think!

Sorry guys i know i risked a lot, lossing the bottle or hurting my self but i really wanted to do this for him. Even though we hadted each other, never had anyhting in comen and fight cat and dogs.

RIP brv you bugga

No way, i didn't think a grinder would be capable of doing it. I would have suggested using something like a tile cutting tool with the super thing diamond blade and the water jet to stop the glass heating and cracking and to stop the dust becoming airborne.

Guess its too late to mention it now though, well done for managing it.

RIP brv you bugga

oh my god can't wait

To be fair guys, he is planning on covering the rough edge with hosing like he mentioned earlier, so the general appearance of the cut doesn't have to be good. I reckon if you are covering the edge with pipe though you might have wanted to leave a little bit more room above the JD writing because it'll cover it a bit with what little material you've left on it.

Black label with orange glass marbles would look especially pimped.