Problems With Pads

TOBY E

hello everybody

i purchased some koxx bloxx greens about a week ago and put a fresh grind on my rim it was working mint until Saturday then it just wasn't holding and was slipping and making no noise

so i got home toke my rim off cleaned it with a cloth with white spirit on, then rinsed it with water sanded all the s**t off my pads and set them up square with the rim and it is still working rubbish.

could any one give me a bit off advice please

thanks alot Toby (Y)

It's common for grease to generally get onto rims & pads (there is a chain spinning around nearby!), compromising the coefficient of friction between the two. White Spirit isn't the best degreaser since it leaves residue. If you're looking for an easy to get hold of alternative I'd recommend a household cleaner for floors/bathrooms or even washing up liquid as being better than white spirit. Washing off the cleaner afterwards with water is always a good idea, and giving the brake a period of use afterwards seems to help.

Moulded brake pads come covered in mould release agent, so they need to be degreased before glueing and use. To do a top job of this I use some Industrial chemical degreasing solution, which isn't suited to home use due to it's harmful nature! Why not grab the washing up liquid and a brio pad and see how much better that makes it work?

Best of luck,

Steve

It's common for grease to generally get onto rims & pads (there is a chain spinning around nearby!), compromising the coefficient of friction between the two. White Spirit isn't the best degreaser since it leaves residue. If you're looking for an easy to get hold of alternative I'd recommend a household cleaner for floors/bathrooms or even washing up liquid as being better than white spirit. Washing off the cleaner afterwards with water is always a good idea, and giving the brake a period of use afterwards seems to help.

Moulded brake pads come covered in mould release agent, so they need to be degreased before glueing and use. To do a top job of this I use some Industrial chemical degreasing solution, which isn't suited to home use due to it's harmful nature! Why not grab the washing up liquid and a brio pad and see how much better that makes it work?

Best of luck,

Steve

OK thanks for your help mate ill go and try washing up liquid now ill get back to you when i have finished

thanks allot (Y)

Toby

Best of luck,

Steve

thanks allot i triaed it yesterday and it sorta worked i cleaned it twice with washing up liquid and it is working ok with a bit off tar

thanks (Y)

Toby

thanks allot i triaed it yesterday and it sorta worked i cleaned it twice with washing up liquid and it is working ok with a bit off tar

thanks (Y)

Toby

If you're using tar then it doesn't sound totally successful (N) It's tricky cleaning grinds compared to smooth rims. I'd regrind and concentrate on cleaning those pads nicely (Y)

Steve

If you're using tar then it doesn't sound totally successful (N) It's tricky cleaning grinds compared to smooth rims. I'd regrind and concentrate on cleaning those pads nicely (Y)

Steve

ok ill try a regrind at the weekend

thank again (Y)

Toby

hello everybody

i purchased some koxx bloxx greens about a week ago and put a fresh grind on my rim it was working mint until Saturday then it just wasn't holding and was slipping and making no noise

so i got home toke my rim off cleaned it with a cloth with white spirit on, then rinsed it with water sanded all the s**t off my pads and set them up square with the rim and it is still working rubbish.

could any one give me a bit off advice please

thanks alot Toby (Y)

looked in here mate,

my clean rim tip

yea i often use peterol to clean the rim basicaly becouse it drys very quick and leves no residue,

dont use any fairy liquid as it leves a nasty grese in your rim. (Y)

your problem my be how you grind it? what are you using? (because some people use knives ect,, )

make sure its even and concistant, perpendicular to the side wall.

also have you thort that it could be a foulty pad, wich has set wrong and has a slitly differnt

compoud in the middle as a result?

cheers max!

your problem my be how you grind it? what are you using? (because some people use knives ect,, )

make sure its even and concistant, perpendicular to the side wall

lol i used a grinder with a cutting blade on i think and i ground it on a right angle to the rim

(the pads was working fine until Saturday)

thanks for the help everyone (Y)

Toby

OK - residue on rim problems, I never was my breaking surface clean I grind it clean;

White spirit - don't use that - leaves slippery residue.

Washing up liquids - have slippy sheen enhancers to make mums washing up look good! The more expensive the product the worse it is.

Give your rim a scrub with traffic film remover or wipe over with a solvent like acetone or cellulose thinners and re-grind.

Ben.