Calling All Mototrialers!

TheChai

The out of section dvd has really inspired me, and i would love to give mototrials a go, (Not quitting biketrials before u ask)

I need help! can i ride these bikes on the road? roughly how mcuh money am i gonna be needing? how long do the bikes last, how often do i have to maintain them?

any information would be great!

Thank you very mcuh

Andrew Chai

£3000 would get you out on the sections. They can be road legal but generally are not used for travelling because they are geared pretty shit for that (just like push bike)

Bike's last as long as you maintain them, depending on how you ride this will differ, again the same as biketrials.

Can you ride motorbikes generally off road allright? if so then you shouldn't have problems on a trials bike...

Edited by jake1516

Trials bikes a normally registered for doing road trials, you wouldn't want to ride to far on one.

Most modern bikes come with a couple of road gears, in top a 250 can pull 80mph plus but are

not designed for it. They are prone to seizure riding them hard on the road at high revs.

When you buy a new bike from a dealer he should give you document so you could register it. (Y)

Yes you can get them on the road

Depends on what year u want, 04-£1500-£1600 ish mabye less

There suprisingly easy to keep going, i think my mates had 2 full services in the 8 months he had it

The only thing that went wrong with his is he blew out his back box, thrashin it around a feild

Im gettin an 04 sherco, best bike around in my eyes, for looks and ridability.

Im going for a 125cc but you would prob need a 250cc mabye

The sherco came with a horn and lights, as should most

Edited by TB_Levelboss

i've been looking too as i want to do the same

how much is insurance roughly also can you ride them with just a cbt and provisional i mean a 125 when i'm 17 my local trials bit is roughly 3 miles away from my house and i can't be assed to walk it

if i buy a bike can i get a daytime mot so i don't need lights and how much is tax

For a clean starter bike, I'd say around £1300-1500, its cheap to get into (well, not exactly cheap, but they tend not to lose too much value, assuming you look after it).

You will NEED helmet, boots, gloves and (not sure on the rules these days...) but if you're under 16, you'll need a full arm length jersey. Most practice spots and ALL comps won't let you in without riding gear.

Comps are loads of fun, well, used to be. Until all the little 10 year olds came on the scene with brand new trials bikes purchased by mummy and daddy, who went to trials with no respect for anyone what so ever...which is pretty much why I came out of it. But I suppose you're always going to get that...

Although most of the older lads are fine, its the only sport I've known where complete strangers will come and talk to you for an hour.

Although it looks as though I'll be a slowly dying sport with DEFRA and the tree huggers union getting their own way.

i dont mean to poo on your dream, but a trials bike would be absolute crap for the road and you would knacker it prematurely. as theyre not geared and powered for road speed one would be tiring to ride on the road and the bike would sound very tired after a short while. plus they arent that robust so bits like the brake pads, tires, chain and sprockets would wear out much quicker than a normal road bike.

people do ride them on the road, but only as a necessity when doing trials like in the novogar series or the scottish 6 days when you have to ride on the road between groups of sections.

tax isnt expensive and insurance is probably cheap as the bhp/kw rating is very low so theyre not regarded as powerful bikes, although getting your road licence is costing around £300 nowadays with the costs of training and tests etc.

up to you bro, but thought i would share my thoughts

From what im told, CLS has bought 1 and is looking for fellow riders

Yes he has, a GasGas Raga 300 (check the "post of pic of your motorbike thread").

But back to setting one up for the road; personally i wouldn't do it, simply because of what people have already said, and at the end of the day it doesn't do them much good. Plus it means you would have to make a compromise in gearing, between road gearing and actual gearing for trials use. I have heard many a story of people that take part in the Scottish six day, all to have their bike seize up on them. Then theres the whole problem with having to keep lights etc in working order, which can be a pain if you drop of the bike a lot, so it is much simpler to just strip it of all the unwanted stuff, and keep it as a pure trials bike.

Edited by huck_it

Hey

Yeah you can ride them on the road but I don’t really recommend it. If you sit with over half throttle on the road for a length of time the engine overheats and basicly dies!. due to this, you end up cruising at around 40 ish or about 1/3 throttle.

Instead of a van I recommend one of these, it just attaches to your toe ball - rack , they are really good!

Bike wise I recommend a Beta as they are easy to work on, reliable and very nice to ride!

As for size I recommend a 125 to start with, if you were to get a 250 you would find yourself just using the power to get up stuff.

As far as maintenance goes, after every ride I clean the carb, plug, filter and generally oil and check everything. the more time you spend prepping your bike, the less chance it will break! You can go months without spending much but then have a bad fall at a trial you can end up spending over £100 on a few bits!

Trials Central is full of information and is well worth a look!

Gordon

I have been riding motorbike trials since i was 6 years old and now i'm 15.

There are 4 main makes of motorbike.

Sherco

Gas Gas

beta

Scorpa

I own a sherco 125 and i love it.

A gas gas takes a lot a maintenance so i would not recomend one.

Beta are really well built

and scorpa's i dont really know much about

So if is were you I would get a sherco or a beta.

A new one would be about £3500 max.

And all you need to put one on the road is a road liscence and then you just tax ur bike and put a small number plate sticker on the mudguard.

Oh by the way the attached picture is my last year bike.

Hope this has been helpful to you if you have any more questions feel free to ask me.

Jamesrazor

post-10407-1172691880_thumb.jpg

so to summaries, its not worth having on the road due to tax and hassel and extra bits, but its possible? i dont drive at all at the moment, so i was thinking of using it as a proper form of transport but if its not practical i would probably ahve to get a car before i start this.. which would mean another year or 2 before i get a bike..:(

grr i dont wanna drive!

anyway! looks like that is the best idea then? to get alternative transport

Hello Chai! Hello mate! I share your dream. But I am not getting a bike soon I think.

There are like 20 trials motor bikes in the whole country. :(

I know one guy who rides his gasgas on the streets. I mean he does trials on the streets. As we normally do on bikes. Many people get shocked, but this is Russia and you can do whatever you want. :)

so to summaries, its not worth having on the road due to tax and hassel and extra bits, but its possible? i dont drive at all at the moment, so i was thinking of using it as a proper form of transport but if its not practical i would probably ahve to get a car before i start this.. which would mean another year or 2 before i get a bike..:(

grr i dont wanna drive!

anyway! looks like that is the best idea then? to get alternative transport

haha yeh, not to mention trials bike's havn't got stand's, so you'd be leaning it against a wall or something when leaving it anywhere....

one further thing is that they dont come with a key ignition; therefore unless you get one put on (I have never heard of anyone doing so), any f***er can start it and ride off from where you left it!

as for bikes, i recommend a beta, as gas gas and sherco are rather high maintenance and expensive to run for a newbie. the scorpas are bullet proof for reliability, but one would be a bit of hand full to ride for a beginner. i think that a beginner should start on a 125, as these are so good now that you wouldnt lack for power, unless youre really fat.....

sidehopping? for a start it's near impossible and you would NEVER use the move any way as you have an engine to power you up going forwards!