Who's Idea Was It Not To Standardise Bar And Stem Diameters?

Bill_B

Bought the Viz flat bars in the classifieds, they have a central dia of about 32mm where they clamp to the stem. My Monty stem has an internal diea of about 27.5mm for the bars.

ARSE!!!!

so what should I know when buying bars/stems to avoid me being this stupid again. What sizes are available?

QUOTE(Bill_B @ Mar 12 2007, 10:42 AM)
Bought the Viz flat bars in the classifieds, they have a central dia of about 32mm where they clamp to the stem. My Monty stem has an internal diea of about 27.5mm for the bars.

ARSE!!!!

so what should I know when buying bars/stems to avoid me being this stupid again. What sizes are available?

are the only sizes I know about

the standard t-pro/t-mag stems are 28.6

the deng ones and onza t-master are all 31.8

koxx do 25.4 but they also do 31.8

are the only sizes I know about

the standard t-pro/t-mag stems are 28.6

the deng ones and onza t-master are all 31.8

koxx do 25.4 but they also do 31.8

These strange sounding diameters are a result of metrification (sp) of old inch sizes which were solely used:

25.4mm = 1 inch

28.6mm = 1 1/8 inch

31.8mm = 1 1/4 inch

That there exist 3 different sizes is definately one of those essential things to know. Write the sizes on your toolbox for future reference maybe?

Steve

almost certainly a brisa stem, they looked pretty much the same, and were 28.6 clamp.

It has has a Monty logo painted on the side, very faded but JUST visible, that is what I was going on.

Looking around I think my best bet may be to swap the stem for a 31.8mm one and use the bars I now have.

I'm not seeing many 28.6mm bars available.

Edited by Bill_B

Its a trials bike for the Flintstones :) here are some more pics of the frame, http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....showtopic=94406 It looks more like a BMX than a modern trials mod.

I'm confused about which way to go, I could:

1) try and find pair of 1 1/8" bars, keep the original stem which is kind of cool in an old-skool retro way, like the rest of the frame.

2) Replace the stem and fit the Viz bars which is a nice easy (cheap) option and the stem may have seen better days, but I would want something with an oldish look to it.

Can anyone confirm if this is more likely to be a Brista Stem than a monty and advise where I may find some suitable bars for sale (someone is measuring one up for me that may be suitable)? I'll use the Viz bars on my MTB, they won't be wasted ;)