Tar?

Tar's crap get a light grind and some koxx pads i suggest reds,blues.browns.Tar is just oily in the wet all of the oil will come out of the tar and run all over your rim so your rim is black and full of sh**e.Get a grind and if you think your brake still isn't working use a small amount of tar don't just slap it on 'stroke' the tar lightly over the grind.

Hey guys last weekend i put tar on my rims and it was a massive improvement.

I always thorght it was rubbish untill i actuly tried it.

What do you guys think about it.

Cheers.

I don't use it because my coust pads are amazing. Never really used TAR because I've always had an amazing brake. Try using the search topic more, there is loads of topics about TAR and what people think about it ect...

pAuL!!

Edited by mrturner08

Tar's crap get a light grind and some koxx pads i suggest reds,blues.browns.Tar is just oily in the wet all of the oil will come out of the tar and run all over your rim so your rim is black and full of sh**e.Get a grind and if you think your brake still isn't working use a small amount of tar don't just slap it on 'stroke' the tar lightly over the grind.

Yup! A grind also looks better than black stuff all over your rim, lol. :)

~Matty

Firstly its not about what looks good - irrelevant.

Tar can be good but can be annoying. I used to use tar on both brakes and it worked awesome UNTIL there was even abit of moisture on the rim. Getting Tar wet turns it into sludgy crap and you'll wish you hadn't put any on. I now have a grind on the back so no need for the tar and it holds up very well even with crappy pads (joy pads in the post) and a xtr v on the front which seems to hold its own without tar . In the summer when its hot everyday Tar is good stuff but then again you have to keep-re applying when its easier to just have a grind. In the summer im going to probably use a very light layer of tar as it adds extra bite to the brake.

In conclusion

Tar in Dry - works well, adds abit of bite to the brake

Tar in Wet - Absolute crap, your gonig to fall on your back

Grind whenever - All good!

Phil

hi i use tar all the time i don't really have a choice thought because i can't grind my rim any more it is dead as.

a grind is better than tar but tar is so good i would use it if i was you but not in the wet. you don't have to put loads on as well.

chris

shane you will perfer tar at the mo but with how the weather has bin up norwich its worth to grind your rim and im not a fan of tar cuse you do lose alot of modulation and with my riding stlye i like to be soundless with my brakes

reasons for tar (good)

makes aloud noise ( i know alot of you peeps like your noise)

you get a firm hold on the back wheel

and i beleave theres a few more good reasons

reasons for tar (bad)

bad modulation

brake dose stick on if you put way to much on the rim

makes a mess of you pads after a while

when wet weather hits you will find out why a grind is a bit better alround

biddle

p.s shane ill bring some tar up for you aswell cuse i got aload in my shed

Edited by davenorfolk

i hate the stuff i grind my rim and buy good pads :rolleyes:

Haha shut up alex get a new frmae, lol.

I use tar and i love it, works really well, although i agree that when it get wet its a biatch!

Few of my mates ride with grinds, and they seem about the same as tar, so i guess try both and see what suits you.

I find a grind more conveniant as I don't have to constantly reapply the tar as it wears off, and it works in the rain. That said (and because my new rim hasnt been ground yet), using tar does give you more choice in how much bite compared to modulation you want. I find smoother street type moves like manuals are easier with a small amount of tar, compared to a fresh and severe grind, where the brake tends to jar on the rim a bit. Although I remember the good old days when I used to buy it as liquid roof sealent from B&Q, paint it on, then have my pads stick to the rims on the edge of a drop... Oh the joy.

Edited by Rumplestiltskin

Firstly its not about what looks good - irrelevant.

Tar can be good but can be annoying. I used to use tar on both brakes and it worked awesome UNTIL there was even abit of moisture on the rim. Getting Tar wet turns it into sludgy crap and you'll wish you hadn't put any on. I now have a grind on the back so no need for the tar and it holds up very well even with crappy pads (joy pads in the post) and a xtr v on the front which seems to hold its own without tar . In the summer when its hot everyday Tar is good stuff but then again you have to keep-re applying when its easier to just have a grind. In the summer im going to probably use a very light layer of tar as it adds extra bite to the brake.

In conclusion

Tar in Dry - works well, adds abit of bite to the brake

Tar in Wet - Absolute crap, your gonig to fall on your back

Grind whenever - All good!

Phil

Yer I know, hehe. I was going to say about the wet but forgot, sorry :( Hehe

~Matty

Hey guys last weekend i put tar on my rims and it was a massive improvement.

I always thorght it was rubbish untill i actuly tried it.

What do you guys think about it.

Cheers.

Tars excellent if you dont put too much on, but if you put too much on it can make a real mess of your rims and make your brakes stick.

For tar i think it depends how heavy your riding is and much noise you want to create. i personally love a bit of tar, it just adds that extra bit bite, but it is awful in the wet, so only for dry weather use.

Flubber:D