I Am New

jayz_

I'm new to the whole trial's scene and after seeing several video's, having friends also in that scene and always being reasonably interested in the trial side of cycling i've decided to pursue the interest.

Basically i just wanna get a few questions answered before i go and buy a trial's bike.

1. If i am 5ft 10" what size frame do i wanna go for as i assume as it is trials i wanna get a smaller frame

2. What is a good bike, i got about £700 to spend and as i far i have seen i can afford either the DMR Rhythm or the Cannondale Chase 2 2006

any help really would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks

-jayz_

Edited by jayz_

Welcome! :turned:

Good job you came here dude, to be honest I wouldn't go anywhere near either of those bikes if you want to pursue trials and not bunnyhopping off curbs like the DMR is intended for. For 700 pounds you can get a really good quality trials specific bike that will suit you 10x better than the DMR or the Cannondale. Just take that advice, I won't go suggesting which bike for you to get as there will be about a million posts after mine from new members telling you which bike to get. Have a good bit of research before you make your decision though as there are so many different factors to consider.

Good luck.

im also 5 ft 10 and i ride a 26" fine.

because its your first bike i'd say get a onza t-rex. its 500 quid so u have 200 to spare.

their great to learn on, i have learnt loads on mine.

their also pretty good value, so you wont waste all of your money if you decide you dont like the sport.

Edited by Grant H

Well all depends on what you want to be doing mate

Personaly i prefer a stock (26" bike)

Because i have grown up getting used to them =]

But i also know loads of people who ride mod (20" bike)

and they find it easy to do all sorts of things

I think its easier to get more height with a bigger bike i.e the 26" frame

Also the the person before this post saying about an onza T-rex for £500 is a bit exphensive

There is a bike shop near me that sells them for £340

Absolute bargain

And im not one to object but personaly i wouldnt get an onza

Because if your happy with spending £700 pounds in the first place you might as well buy a decent bike in the first place

Will save you money if u buy decent bike in the first place in the long run

(Y)

{Spudrik}

I take it you want to carry on with trials for a long period as you are investing such money. So perhaps you should spend the money wisely and think before you buy to quick. As for bike sizes it doesn't matter too much how big you are but mostly what style you want to ride.

For a pure trials stead a longer bike would be a better choice. But as you are just about to begin i wouldn't recomend a long bike yet.

Short bikes tend to help with all round riding which will help you with the basic bunny hops and manuals etc.

for the frame size i reckon i will go for the 26" stock

as for the make, at the moment it's between Onza & Echo (are they any good?)

so you think £700 is quite alot for a trials bike, so for that much, what sort of bike could i get for about that much, i really like the Onza Woodstock except that was way over my limit.

thanks again, all your reply's have been great! :D

-btw spundrik where in kent you live cos the only bike shop i got near me really is Bigfoot Bikes

-looking at the Onza T-Rex Spec1 i notice that it hasn't got disk brakes, when re-roading some of the reply'ys i notice that good brakes are essential, and the bike has Magura where as in some ither threads they said that Magura wenr't very good.

Edited by jayz_

Its really about what people think of them, i would say more people run magura's than people that don't but thats not to say v-brakes aren't good because they can be some very good ones e.g. avid.

A front magura can be just as effective as a front disk brake when its properly set-up but just for personal preference i prefer a front disk.

I think the onza t-Rex would be an excellent bike to start off on as it comes with quality brakes such as the maguras and they prove to be good value for money. Just make sure you don't get the one with the seat as there are two different types. If your thinking of purchasing a trials bike i would suggest Tarty bikes as they have an unbeatable service and offer a wide range for riders with different tastes. Hope i helped and good luck with trials (Y)

Its really about what people think of them, i would say more people run magura's than people that don't but thats not to say v-brakes aren't good because they can be some very good ones e.g. avid.

A front magura can be just as effective as a front disk brake when its properly set-up but just for personal preference i prefer a front disk.

I think the onza t-Rex would be an excellent bike to start off on as it comes with quality brakes such as the maguras and they prove to be good value for money. Just make sure you don't get the one with the seat as there are two different types. If your thinking of purchasing a trials bike i would suggest Tarty bikes as they have an unbeatable service and offer a wide range for riders with different tastes. Hope i helped and good luck with trials (Y)

Is this going to be your only bike and do you want to have dual use? (your initial post about cannondale hinted at that)

Because obviously, you can do a lot of trials moves with a good regular mountain bike, with a short frame, and still have a good overal mountain bike for cross country...

But if this is a bike you set up purely for trials or you don't care about other aspects of riding.. then, go for a specific geometry like what you can see in the online shops mentioned... you will learn so much quicker, and it will be a completely new sport by itself, rather than trying to play tricks on a regular mountain bike... up to you really. But with 700, you should really get a good starter bike like the Onza T-Rex...

Or if you feel confident to assemble one, buy a frame, fork, cranks, second hand and you'll make a top spec bike for much less...

Cheers

Is this going to be your only bike and do you want to have dual use? (your initial post about cannondale hinted at that)

Because obviously, you can do a lot of trials moves with a good regular mountain bike, with a short frame, and still have a good overal mountain bike for cross country...

But if this is a bike you set up purely for trials or you don't care about other aspects of riding.. then, go for a specific geometry like what you can see in the online shops mentioned... you will learn so much quicker, and it will be a completely new sport by itself, rather than trying to play tricks on a regular mountain bike... up to you really. But with 700, you should really get a good starter bike like the Onza T-Rex...

Or if you feel confident to assemble one, buy a frame, fork, cranks, second hand and you'll make a top spec bike for much less...

Cheers

it was going to be purely for trials as i currently have a Gary Fisher Bitter which servers my mountain bike needs perfectly.

and i dont personally feel confident building my own guid... yet!

so by the replies i assume that Onza T-Rex Spec1 is a good bike, although i am interested to know what you think of 24sevenbikes.com and the Holroyd model

thanks in advance

-jayz_

the holroyd frame is meant to have really nice geometry (1060 wheel base +20bb rise)

you wont be able to run gears on it though.

and isn't it 750 quid?

quite alot for a starters bike.

onza t-rex ***.

just strip the paint off it and it'll look amazing

Edited by Grant H

the holroyd frame is meant to have really nice geometry (1060 wheel base +20bb rise)

you wont be able to run gears on it though.

and isn't it 750 quid?

quite alot for a starters bike.

onza t-rex ***.

just strip the paint off it and it'll look amazing

my local bike shop, strips the paint and puts any colour on it i want, so i could consider getting it stripped and put it in matt black or a dark colour

but overall you reccomend the onza t-rex - spec1 or spec2?

Edited by jayz_

well i have the spec one, its a good bike to start on but once you get alot better you will find you'll need to change some things.

i had to change the hub as it only had 16 engagement points, for someone learning it will be ok for the first couple of months,

i also need to change the bb as i snapped it :turned:

apart from those things its a pretty good bike.

i'd say get the spec 1 and change the hub to a hope pro 2 trials and some decent pads (zoo! pads)

Edited by Grant H

well i have the spec one, its a good bike to start on but once you get alot better you will find you'll need to change some things.

i had to change the hub as it only had 16 engagement points, for someone learning it will be ok for the first couple of months,

i also need to change the bb as i snapped it :turned:

apart from those things its a pretty good bike.

i'd say get the spec 1 and change the hub to a hope pro 2 trials and some decent pads (zoo! pads)

so for these 'hubs' what are they? and how many do i need?

and the pads, i assume you mean brake pads

should be buying the bike soon, just waiting to get paid from work, and i like the idea of getting it stipped, so when it gets stiped i assume i lose the onza sticker? will probably good for a dark grey or (gunsmoke) to match the hub

you get the same pads with the spec 1 too, green rock pads.

my friend had the spec two and i think the spec 1 is better value.

get the spec 2 if you dont care about spending all your money on something you might give up on in the first 6 months.

you get the same pads with the spec 1 too, green rock pads.

my friend had the spec two and i think the spec 1 is better value.

get the spec 2 if you dont care about spending all your money on something you might give up on in the first 6 months.

You chat some shit you do. If it's not as good then why is it at a higher price and have a better range of parts on it.

Personally i wouldn't recommend a full built bike from a shop full stop. I would go for second hand. For £700 your gonna get something at a massively high spec.

If you wish to purchase brand new then go for the Onza T-rex Spec 2.

Good luck dude.

Danny

You chat some shit you do. If it's not as good then why is it at a higher price and have a better range of parts on it.

Personally i wouldn't recommend a full built bike from a shop full stop. I would go for second hand. For £700 your gonna get something at a massively high spec.

Good luck dude.

Danny

where would you suggest buying a good second hand bike then?

Good luck dude.

Danny

i said value, not quality. ofcourse you're going to get more for your money but there doesn't seem to be 200 quids worth of difference.

i said value, not quality. ofcourse you're going to get more for your money but there doesn't seem to be 200 quids worth of difference.

Onza Carbon Bars - £40

Onza Lite guy forks - £60

Sealed bearing hubs - £80

Hog rims - £70

Tensile cranks - £120

FSA Bottom bracket - £40

Onza Hognesium pedals - £40

Maxxis High roller tyres - £50

Easily more than £200's worth there

Danny.

Edited by Danny Kearns

you seem to be getting the most expensive prices you can find (look at tarty much cheaper...)

now that you have those prices take off the value of the stuff its replacing on the spec 1

Edited by Grant H

you seem to be getting the most expensive prices you can find (look at tarty much cheaper...)

now that you have those prices take off the value of the stuff its replacing on the spec 1

Hold on a second. I never looked at Tarty. No online shop is ALOT cheaper than other. There all the same. Thats the value

of them parts. You can't argue that fact. You are still getting your moneys worth even if you take the value off of the stuff on the spec 1. Dude come on. Acknowledge the fact that this bike is absolutely fantastic value for money.

Danny