Water Bleed

BIGA1

i bled both mine with water, if you do it right you dont get any problems,

how can it be bad for the magura?

if its done right it cant.

-alot of people say it rusts the inside of the cylinders and levers etc. but if its bled properly it cant, because when its bled properly there would be no air in the system so no oxygen (except for the tiny bit that is in the water naturally) and you need air and moisture to produce rust so there would not be enough to rust anything.

-people also say its bad for seals and the rubber parts, its really not, as the oil damages seals quicker than water if you've ever got brake fluid on your brake pads or tyres you will have seen why.

-even more people say "water knackers them because its not a lubricant" well the it wasnt the brakefluid that lubricates any of the external moving parts and theres not alot moves internally that needs to be lubricated (theres nothing that moves fast enough to get so hot that it needs constant lubrication)

if anything its probably better, it improves brake performance, the lever will feel firmer and if you split your hose instead of getting brake fluid all over and it wrecking your nicely painted frame you get a little bit of water.

so do it right and she'll be mint.

When mine froze, all that happened was that the brake pads moved nearer to the rim. No drama (Y) Obviously it meant I couldn't ride then, but that was soon solved with the addition of some antifreeze in the mix ;)

If you don't fully, fully flush out your system (Tart recommends using an air pump), the residual oil mixes with the water and emulsifies or something else equally unpleasant, and makes the brake feel turds. Other than that though, if your brake feels waffer it's probably 'cos you need to bleed it again, and better.

If you don't fully, fully flush out your system (Tart recommends using an air pump), the residual oil mixes with the water and emulsifies or something else equally unpleasant, and makes the brake feel turds.

got in a discussion about this a while ago, can't remeber who it was, but they said flush with warm water with a little washing up liquid in it, this will clear out all of the oil. Then flush a couple of times more to make sure that the washing up solutions gone, then bleed again, and roberts your mother's brother.

e.

i flushed mine out first just by pumping some water through to get rid of most of the oil then i used some carburrator cleaner afterwards it comes in stupidly high pressure aerosols so i stuck some old brake hose to the nossle, stick the hose on the lever end and held sprayed away for ages then just left it like ten minutes came back flushed it with water then bled it properly in the water.

i bled both mine with water, if you do it right you dont get any problems,

how can it be bad for the magura?

if its done right it cant.

-alot of people say it rusts the inside of the cylinders and levers etc. but if its bled properly it cant, because when its bled properly there would be no air in the system so no oxygen (except for the tiny bit that is in the water naturally) and you need air and moisture to produce rust so there would not be enough to rust anything.

-people also say its bad for seals and the rubber parts, its really not, as the oil damages seals quicker than water if you've ever got brake fluid on your brake pads or tyres you will have seen why.

-even more people say "water knackers them because its not a lubricant" well the it wasnt the brakefluid that lubricates any of the external moving parts and theres not alot moves internally that needs to be lubricated (theres nothing that moves fast enough to get so hot that it needs constant lubrication)

if anything its probably better, it improves brake performance, the lever will feel firmer and if you split your hose instead of getting brake fluid all over and it wrecking your nicely painted frame you get a little bit of water.

so do it right and she'll be mint.

throw a bit of iron in the sea and after a week it will be rusty...

as far as i know maggies don't have steel/iron in them, so it won't rust?

i wouldn't recommend using too much anti-freeze as that would probably corrode seals etc...

i wouldn't recommend using too much anti-freeze as that would probably corrode seals etc...

water contains small amounts of oxygen like i said, and the sea generally contains a large amount of water, it also contains a large amount of plants, these produce oxygen means lots of rust.

I typed this up ages ago and I find my self searching for it over and over again, why do people keep asking the same question?

You don't really need alot of equipment, no need for a bleed kit. Just a 3mm allen key... a 5mm allen key... some anti-freeze or coolant and your away. I'll guide you through it step by step although if you search you will find out how.

Step 1: Remove the brake from the bike (easy).

Step 2: Undo the bolts, use the 3mm allen key to undo the bolt on the lever (the one next to the hose) and use the 5mm allen key to undo the bolt on the calliper (the only bolt on there). When both bolts are removed hold over bath and repetively squeeze the lever untill most of the oil or water is in the bath.

Step 3: Fill the bath with water (preferably cold) and add around half a litre of coolant or anti-freeze.

Step 4: Place the brake under the water and make sure all of the brake is level and completely covered in water (you don't want any air getting in there).

Step 5: repetitively squeeze the lever, I would recommend around 200 times for a rear brake and 150 for a front brake, just keep squeezing it for ages.

Step 6: When your happy you have squeezed it enough, place the bolts back in and make sure they are super tight (do this whilst the brake is still under water).

Step 7: Clean the brake and put it back on the bike, it should be good as new.

Step 8: Clean the bath and then ride!

I have bled both of my maggies with water and it works perfectly because the leavers spring back so well and are really light to pull the leavers.

The only thing you have got to watch out for is them freezing, you can solve this by just adding a small amount of anti-freeze. You shouldnt have to worry about them freezing now anyway because the weather is getting warmer.

Basically bleed them well and you shouldnt have a problem at all you will just be left with perfect brakes. (Y)

I have bled both of my maggies with water and it works perfectly because the leavers spring back so well and are really light to pull the leavers.

The only thing you have got to watch out for is them freezing, you can solve this by just adding a small amount of anti-freeze. You shouldnt have to worry about them freezing now anyway because the weather is getting warmer.

Basically bleed them well and you shouldnt have a problem at all you will just be left with perfect brakes. (Y)

havn't you just repeated what everyone else has said?

water contains small amounts of oxygen like i said, and the sea generally contains a large amount of water, it also contains a large amount of plants, these produce oxygen means lots of rust.

Water is made out of oxygen. H2O.

Yeah, as "Ruption0" said earlier, water doesn't do the brakes any good. It causes the inside of the callipers to erode slighly and also doesnt really do the seals any good, so best use proper mineral oil.

John

proof?

none? thought so.

maggies wont corrode because of water.

since when has water corroded rubber?

Water is fine! If you put a bit of anti freeze in and it wont freeze up ! theres nothing wrong with using water in maggies ? :S

Ben

its summer...

thats also because sea water contains lots of salt which speeds up the rusting process