Bt Home Hub Problems

Sneakers O'Toole

We recently got a BT home hub wireless thing and it is constantly playing up. For some reason when i type an address in the address bar it says the internet is not connected but if the website is already in the pull down bar it will allow me on. Any ideas why this is happening???

It also seems to have a really slow download speed, says it's connected at 54mbps or somnething but i can only download at 15kb/s, when i'm sure the other day i was getting much much faster speeds.

Any ideas??? i really f*****g hate this hub

OH DUDE.

That's the least of your worries!

We got our home hub free, and it's only been used during parties for Gaming, it's SO Un-reliable!

I hope you didn't pay. They're utter rubbish, and should be burnt! As a fact - I'm going to kick mine now

*THUMP*

there!

Edit : There is nothing you can do, it's just the Home Hub being utter RUBBISH!

Edited by Hendrixmaster

The wireless signal from our BT home hub was always dropping out, despite the laptop only being about 2 foot away. It pains me to say this, but we were wishing we had NTL again (although we did have our own router that did the sending rather than an NTL unit)

We've given up on the home hub's wireless capability so have the laptop directly plugged in nowadays, so it never drops out now. We paid more than many rival service because we thought it would be mean more reliability :(

I wonder if I can plug my router into the poorly performing Hub. It might be the only remedy to get wireless again!

Sorry there's no cure that I know of. BT will only tell you to turn it off and on again.

Steve

OH DUDE.

That's the least of your worries!

We got our home hub free, and it's only been used during parties for Gaming, it's SO Un-reliable!

I hope you didn't pay. They're utter rubbish, and should be burnt! As a fact - I'm going to kick mine now

*THUMP*

there!

Edit : There is nothing you can do, it's just the Home Hub being utter RUBBISH!

I moved from orange to bt as orange were being wankers!

so i got the option 3, so free homehub and phone....... somedays it works.. somedays it doesn't

It's abit shit the actual wirless connection is excellent most of the time, but when you do like that troubleshoot thing it says: no DSL. It really pisses me off when it keeps doing this..

A couple of weeks ago it was really bad and just wouldnt keep its connection.

Best thing to do when it does this is just switch it off at the mains for 30 seconds, then switch it back on and wait about 2 mins for it to get going and normally its ok for a day or two..

EDIT: oh dear that last bit about "best thing to do". i sound like a bt technical support person! :unsure:

Edited by crazy_gap girl

Oh well, seems general feeling is that these hubs are shit. How i wish i was still on the Uni network. On the upside my brand new laptop blew up last night, losing all my files, sweet. Got a new laptop this morning though, 3rd in 3 weeks!

Wahey, i love technologygoygy

I did yeah. I had my BB come out of my wages before tax etc, then it was in BT today that it's free from now on, and we get the wireless bollocks too l for nothing. So free broadband from now on instead of the shares. Then i got a new allsshare plan through the other day. So i'm registering for my free shares too. Bit confused really!

I haven't had any problems with my home hub loosing connection although I am on a wired network and haven't had any experience of the wireless. Every so often I have to re-boot the hub but I don't have a real problem with having to do that.

I had issues when port forwarding the BT hub due to the shite menu/settings so if I had my way I would have changed back to a Net Gear router but we do actually make use of the hub phone so the BT home hub has to stay. The hub phone is stupidly cheap though! E.g. 2 phone calls to an Australian land line totalling 1 hour 50 minutes cost just £1.25!!!

Non home hub related complaint: BT seem to be capping my connection when downloading torrents :(

I did yeah. I had my BB come out of my wages before tax etc, then it was in BT today that it's free from now on, and we get the wireless bollocks too l for nothing. So free broadband from now on instead of the shares. Then i got a new allsshare plan through the other day. So i'm registering for my free shares too. Bit confused really!

basically this is the last year well be able to get our free shares, and our free shares relate to our performance(not me and you on a personal level, but the performance of all bt group employees) in the last financial year. i.e 06-07, so for the 07-08 financial year, we wont get free shares. so when you get shares in june or whenever, you get them for your work as an employee over the last financial year.

as seen as they cant really give us bugger all and then refund our broadband costs in june next year. they just give us free broadband now, for this financial year. if that makes any sense.

as for the home hubs spoke to a couple of people using them, and theyve said there not always brilliant, but guess ill see soon.

as for download capping, its only done once youve exceeded your monthly bandwidth allowance(be it 2gb,8gb or 40gb on a number of successive months, dont know the exact figures). however was speaking to a mate whos into his torrents heavily and is with bt, hes said that they only seem to check your bandwidth allowance off the data counter on your router, or words to that effect) and he got round it by resetting his router every week or so, not saying its foolproof,and it may be too late for you, but may be worth giving it a try.

I have the option 3 of total broadband and ive had nothing but problems from day 1. Need to restart the hub every day or so. shite connection all the time. seems nothing will work unless you forward to ports for whatever your doing and the hub HATES you port forwarding, always locks up.

Ive recently learned that BT limit all non-http traffic. My torrents get capped at about 60-70kbs which is extremely annoying as thats pretty much all i use the smellnet for!

Having said all that, if the hub is working and your downloading from microsoft or something I can get speeds of about 800kbs, which is amazing, but rare!